VN Looking for feedback on my first game.

NylonBandit

Jul 24, 2020
Hi, I'm a game dev that's looking to make my first adult visual novel. I won't go into too much detail, but I'm an experienced Unity dev, but mostly my games are retro 2D style games. However, I've always loved character creators. I have Honey Select and Koikatsu, as well as Daz3D. I don't play the actual games, I just like making characters and figured... 'hey, why not make a visual style game?'. As you can probably tell from my handle, I have a specific interest and want to make a game around that.... however, since I don't really play these types of games I'd love to know from you guys what you look for in a game like this.

So here's the gist.

The games called The Pantyhose Office.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

So that's basically how I'm approaching the game and this is what I plan on having in the game,
  • Story Mode with 11 Endings. (1 good and bad for each woman + 1 generic ending where you pass probation but don't earn enough love points to unlock a Valentine's scene). Each of the 11 endings will unlock additional renders. I'm hoping this will add replay value as players can do replays where they intentionally play bad.
  • A render gallery. Each woman will have their own profile including stats like age, height, likes, dislikes... that sort of thing. You'll also be able to view all unlocked renders for that character.
  • Valentines Replay where you can rewatch any Valentines scenes you've unlocked.

Again, as much as I'm looking forward to creating the game, I don't play games of this type (In fact, I haven't played a single adult visual novel). So with that in mind, I have some questions....

• How long should I aim to make the story? I've most of it planned out already, but I have no idea how long it'll take to do a playthrough. Should I aim to keep the play time below a certain length?
  • How important are sex scenes? Again, I don't know how far I want to take the Valentines scenes. Right now, they're kinda just romantic happy endings...
  • To add to the previous question, would you play a game where the focus is more on the women wearing hot nylon-based outfits?
  • Do you think I've planned out enough content? If there's something you think I'm missing, please let me know.
Finally, any general advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Reactions: coldpath

coldpath

Mar 13, 2023
I absolutely love the title and the story! I think that all the same without sex in these games can not do. But they are the hardest to make. Here you will also need to think about what kind of reward you are going to give the player for certain actions. I think that if the main theme is nylon, then there needs to be a lot of foot content

Reactions: NylonBandit

NylonBandit

Jul 24, 2020
I absolutely love the title and the story! I think that all the same without sex in these games can not do. But they are the hardest to make. Here you will also need to think about what kind of reward you are going to give the player for certain actions. I think that if the main theme is nylon, then there needs to be a lot of foot content
Well I was hoping collecting the renders for the different outfits would be incentive enough... but yeah, the renders themselves will be spicy, but not necessary NTSW.

However, if people say they wouldn't be interested unless there was more x-rated content, I will add it.

As for feet stuff, I'm not really a foot guy, but I'm well aware many are. I have plans for feet content.

El Tomaso

Game Developer
Jun 7, 2018
How important are sex scenes? Again, I don't know how far I want to take the Valentines scenes. Right now, they're kinda just romantic happy endings...
More than sex scenes, which they are important, I would say the important part is to keep the player horny. There has to be constant tease and provocative scenes. All to build up and make the sexual scene where you finally get the character more meaningful

If you only plan on having sex scenes at the end. I would suggest having interesting bad endings ( with sex scenes ). Just getting fired once you get enough hate points would be boring. Maybe once you get reported you could actually show the girl that reported you what actual sexual harassment is. ;)

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
The most important thing is maintaining your own interest and motivation. If you're the sort who likes external validation and positive feedback (and admittedly most people do to at least some extent) then seeking to please your players/fan-base is a very good way to keep your focus. However don't let that divert you into making stuff that is not of interest or even distasteful to yourself.

I think the concept of a legs/miniskirts/stockings focused game is a great idea and is something a bit different from the copycat majority of college-student-father-dies-home-incest-a-thons. The possibilities for teasing/perving content set in an office environment seem to be extensive if you can keep thinking up various scenarios.

Personally I've always like the game-play loop of managing MC's and/or girls' hornyness level to gradually unlock more content... you know, if you let MC get too turned by viewing too many scenes then he has to run off to rub one out and misses the next step of a corruption ladder.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy the journey.

3DbPNuRHhpW

Jan 19, 2019
Wishlist: a full spectrum of attitudes, from "mortified if she finds out she accidentally exposed herself" to "deliberate tease". You don't know who's who at the start, of course...

NylonBandit

Jul 24, 2020
Wishlist: a full spectrum of attitudes, from "mortified if she finds out she accidentally exposed herself" to "deliberate tease". You don't know who's who at the start, of course...
This is planned as part of the 5 characters. Without spoiling too much, there's like a character who is mean to you but secretly has a crush on the MC, one that is nice to you but actually wants to screw you over, one that's shy and hard to read, one thats secretly a lesbian and one who is very upfront and 'tells it how it is'.

I plan to use various scenarios to portray these character traits.

The hope is that players will do multiple playthroughs to learn more about the characters and understand them better.