• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Lewdpatcher down?

KhaelDragon

Aug 19, 2020
But your personal experience doesn't really define or reflect everyone's opinions.
So why do you take the liberty of saying "people don't like torrents" for everyone? On the Russian-language rutracker today there are 13.5 million active users, piratebay in 2018 was in the 122nd place in the world among all network resources in terms of the number of visits per year in Alexas rating, and 15 years ago his audience was 15 million, despite the fact that the resource was very actively tried to kill at all levels since 2006. In 2011, the number of μTorrent users already exceeded 100 million unique users per month. To say that "people don't like torrents" in this context is somewhat incorrect.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2019
So why do you take the liberty of saying "people don't like torrents" for everyone? On the Russian-language rutracker today there are 13.5 million active users, piratebay in 2018 was in the 122nd place in the world among all network resources in terms of the number of visits per year in Alexas rating, and 15 years ago his audience was 15 million, despite the fact that the resource was very actively tried to kill at all levels since 2006. In 2011, the number of μTorrent users already exceeded 100 million unique users per month. To say that "people don't like torrents" in this context is somewhat incorrect.
Reason why torrents are not good in this case. It is completely reliant on a individual people to maintain a share with no commitment plus you still need a hoisting site to maintain the tracker. 2nd If that file gets update that old torrent is no longer valid and a new one has to be started. That individual might not be around for new version. 3rd torrent can keep old inactive files alive. Torrent can also be subjected to malicious code being added easier. While a file hosting site can be updated with new file and same link used and unless file banned without hoping people stick around to share, can be better control by content creator as they have direct control over the file that is presented. Redundancy is also in favor of a file hosting as they generally have a multitude of data centers.

Those are just a few basic reasons.

KhaelDragon

Aug 19, 2020
It is completely reliant on a individual people to maintain a share with no commitment plus you still need a hoisting site to maintain the tracker.
2nd If that file gets update that old torrent is no longer valid and a new one has to be started.
1.you do not need a tracker, you only need a magnet link in the theme with the game on this site. You can create a link yourself using any torrent client to any file from your computer. Without a tracker, independently, regardless. In fact, through the client, you share access to a specific file or directory, directly, without the participation of intermediaries. This is why the protocol is called peer-to-peer. And the trackers themselves do the same thing as this site - they are just a library of links and forum.
2. yes, distributions depend on the goodwill of the seeders. But if the game has at least 100 fans, five of them will be able to stay on the distribution, plus the author if the content is uploaded by the author.
3. If the files have been updated, they need to be uploaded to the file hosting service again, if the files have been updated from the author, he simply re-creates the link, you download it. At the same time, you do not have to download the entire distribution, you rehashed it and download only the part that has undergone changes. It's actually akin to a build server. The developer can release incremental patches and add them to the game, and the player can only download new data files, without re-uploading to hosting and re-downloading the entire volume of the game.

In fact, torrents are not very convenient for small files, they are easier to download from exchangers. Taking into account of course what content you post there, because exchangers can delete both your content and your account, without warning. This is bypassed by setting passwords on the archive so that the site cannot see its contents. But it still does not give a 100% guarantee of the safety of the content. But for many small files, you can create a single distribution, the user, when downloading, sees the entire list of files in it and can select the necessary ones.

For large distributions, file hosting services are generally not suitable, since they have quotas for the amount of daily traffic and its speed.

Torrent can also be subjected to malicious code being added easier.
Any content is created by the author, its safety depends only on the author, but not on the method of storage or distribution. And trackers (personally, in my 15-year experience) are an order of magnitude safer than exchangers, because they have premoderation and feedback, while absolutely anything can be placed on the exchanger. And the method of distribution of this site, as I said, is already very much like a torrent tracker.

Last edited:

ClockworkGnome

Sep 18, 2021
So why do you take the liberty of saying "people don't like torrents" for everyone?
Because that isn't even remotely what I'm saying.

You are the one generalizing. I am the one pointing out that there are tons of people who a) don't use torrents or b) don't like torrents. There's a difference. I'm saying other people see the world differently from you, and you should probably acknowledge that different people have different perspectives, which means they'll also have different preferences and make different choices.

It doesn't matter if you agree with their reasons. It doesn't matter if you understand their reasons. It doesn't even matter what their reasons are. It doesn't matter how hard you evangelize the wonderful glory of torrents like you're being paid to shill them by some hypothetical torrent industry. The point is there are a LOT of people who don't use them. Again, it's part of the reason why on this very site, file hosting services have always been the preferred option. And if people don't want to use them, then no, torrents aren't the simple and universal solution to people who simply want to use file hosting services and wish assholes would stop going on a holy crusade to try and take them down.

Literally nothing you say is going to change any of that no matter how hard you argue the point on an Internet message board.

KhaelDragon

Aug 19, 2020
The point is there are a LOT of people who don't use them. Again, it's part of the reason why on this very site, file hosting services have always been the preferred option.
Maybe they use exchangers because they have no other choice? What's wrong with giving a choice, an extra option? ;) Some of its authors still here provide a torrent link to their distributions, I personally am immensely grateful to them for this. But most, alas, no.

PS. the patcher is finally working. But the situation with him showed that it is unwise to put all eggs in one basket. And this is not even a problem of a specific site, it is a problem of the entire infrastructure of the Internet. For example, in the same mass use of Cloudflare. When it falls - 2/3 of the Internet falls.

SatansSausage

Dec 30, 2018
Having checked on lewdpatcher status, from what I can determine the Asia server has "bad gateway" status, but Europe and USA appear to be OK. I therefore assume links are heading to Asia. Being a total novice in regard to these matters, is it possible to just alter the routing to either lewdpatcher Europe or lewdpatcher USA?

Ghost2529

Oct 31, 2018
Just checked on my end and can confirm Lewdpatcher is working again (USA anyway).
Not sure about their other servers, but I'm guessing they were just having some serious technical issues that had to be dealt with.
If that's the case, then their other locations SHOULD be up and running again soon enough.

On a side note I've been running into some technical issues with F95 today, but it doesn't seem to be anything too serious. Just an occasional refresh of the page seems to fix things.

Aerhyce

Jun 17, 2017
On a side note I've been running into some technical issues with F95 today, but it doesn't seem to be anything too serious. Just an occasional refresh of the page seems to fix things.
Can corroborate, is also happening to me. (webserver error)
Website feels sluggish overall, as well. (e.g., loading this quote took 5x the time it normally would've)

Reactions: Ghost2529