• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Learning Godot

YentrixOficial

Feb 16, 2022
I am learning to use Godot. I'll probably make a game soon, although I don't know what plot it will have. I want it to be an "adult" game and probably a very furry one hahaha

NoTraceOfLuck

Formerly 'trazzdiiiii'
Apr 20, 2018
What is your studyflow? I am always stuck with tutorials, and by that I always start by watching and following them until I get nowhere
i usually think of 1 small specfic thing i want to do, then i google how to do that. eg make a menu appear, or center an item on the screen, etc... break it down as small as possible and solve one small thing at a time

Reactions: Velomous

Velomous

Jan 14, 2024
I am learning to use Godot. I'll probably make a game soon, although I don't know what plot it will have. I want it to be an "adult" game and probably a very furry one hahaha
If you're planning to make a 2D game you're good, but making an nsfw 3D game in godot is not possible right now because their 3D IK is almost completely broken and it's an absolutely necessary component to make any kind of good hentai game. You'll need to use something else, maybe unity or unreal if that's the case.

ive been learning godot and making my game with it https://f95zone.to/threads/no-trace-of-luck-pre-release-development-thread-godot.204911/

its really easy to use
Godot is extremely easy to use, i've played with godot, unity and unreal, of them all godot was imo the easiest to learn by far, and by extension easiest to use, but this comes at the price of being a bit more limited in scope compared to the other 2.

i usually think of 1 small specfic thing i want to do, then i google how to do that. eg make a menu appear, or center an item on the screen, etc... break it down as small as possible and solve one small thing at a time
This is how I do it too, it's a very effective way to learn, but keep in mind that tutorials don't always teach you the best ways to do things (just a way) and tend not to follow very good coding practices at all (those who can't do, teach; often applies here. There are exceptions of course, but i've lost count of how many times just in the past week i watched a tutorial on how to do something and thought "wow, I can do this way better" and did just that, and i'm not even particularly experienced imo), so learning good coding practices and general ways of optimizing your code... from simple practices like using a single switch/case statement instead of long if/else chains, to keeping as many things as you possibly can outside of loops (including the main game loop, most engines have a per frame loop which would be that one, i forgot what it was called in unity and godot but in unreal it's called event tick), understanding which types of methods (loops!) are more expensive resource wise than others, and good coding practices (formatting your code, and tightly vs loosely coupled code as well as high vs low cohesion code)

It'll take you a while to wrap your head around it all but it's worth doing, just following tutorials and using what you learn in them mostly as is will lead to buggy and poorly performing games unless they're really really small in scope, usually.

Also everytime you learn something from a tutorial, you should try to see if you can't do it in a way that's better, be that more optimized, easier to work with or just more versatile, doesn't matter how, don't just copy paste the code as is, learn from it, study it, iterate on it, make it your own.

Last edited: