kurosx

Oct 1, 2017
People saying that Vren was dissatisfied or quit aren't making "speculations without any knowledge, just shots in the dark," because there is an abundance of evidence to show that the live2d port wasn't going the way Vren expected.
Live2D seemed indeed not work as well as he had imagined. But it wasn't the first time that there were a backlash in development of the game, and Vren was always communicative about that. Even more, he has never been silent for that long time, if you look back on his Patron, there is seldom more than a month between his postings.
So it's more likely that he is in fact dead, than that he vanished without telling his patrons (to which I had the pleasure of being a part of for several years, by the way).

So, as long as you don't have concrete evidence for your claim, it is indeed "a shot in the dark". Or, more precise, just nonsense.

smkey21

Nov 15, 2017
Live2D seemed indeed not work as well as he had imagined. But it wasn't the first time that there were a backlash in development of the game, and Vren was always communicative about that. Even more, he has never been silent for that long time, if you look back on his Patron, there is seldom more than a month between his postings.
So it's more likely that he is in fact dead, than that he vanished without telling his patrons (to which I had the pleasure of being a part of for several years, by the way).

So, as long as you don't have concrete evidence for your claim, it is indeed "a shot in the dark". Or, more precise, just nonsense.
There are a lot of reasons to not communicate in that situation. People don't like to admit to giving up on things. People don't like admitting to themselves that they have given up on things. Also, I have only seen a single digit number of patreon accounts where the creator actually said they were quitting/giving up on their project. Meanwhile I can point to many dozens of projects that have been inactive for years where the last post says that they will be releasing an update in a few days/weeks. I've been following Vren's work since early in the original Lab Rat's development, so I am probably more aware of his update consistency than you are. Go back and look at the last few months of vren's patreon. The posts grew less and less frequent. The last thing he did was sort of make the project open source. To me those two things seems to vaguely resemble evidence of waning interest or lost motivation, but I guess not to you.

I feel like you are taking the abandonment of this game personally. As I have said in older posts, Vren said he started on LR2 as a hobby and way to learn coding. Contrary to that, the last few months of communication from Vren had been doing almost nothing but porting images for hours at a time. I guess that if you need to convince yourself that the only way the game would be abandoned is if Vren had died, then you can ignore all the other possible explanations and do so. In the grand scheme of things what happened doesn't matter unless he decides to come back to game development some day.

divas72

Jul 12, 2017
There are a lot of reasons to not communicate in that situation. People don't like to admit to giving up on things. People don't like admitting to themselves that they have given up on things. Also, I have only seen a single digit number of patreon accounts where the creator actually said they were quitting/giving up on their project. Meanwhile I can point to many dozens of projects that have been inactive for years where the last post says that they will be releasing an update in a few days/weeks. I've been following Vren's work since early in the original Lab Rat's development, so I am probably more aware of his update consistency than you are. Go back and look at the last few months of vren's patreon. The posts grew less and less frequent. The last thing he did was sort of make the project open source. To me those two things seems to vaguely resemble evidence of waning interest or lost motivation, but I guess not to you.

I feel like you are taking the abandonment of this game personally. As I have said in older posts, Vren said he started on LR2 as a hobby and way to learn coding. Contrary to that, the last few months of communication from Vren had been doing almost nothing but porting images for hours at a time. I guess that if you need to convince yourself that the only way the game would be abandoned is if Vren had died, then you can ignore all the other possible explanations and do so. In the grand scheme of things what happened doesn't matter unless he decides to come back to game development some day.
I completely agree with you. I too believe that Vren has gone off on its own.
I know the code and features of the game pretty well, and I can safely say that the game is a dead end.
The fact is that the game was intended to be a sandbox game. But the chosen code concept has two major flaws:
1. The complexity of adding graphical content grows exponentially. In order to add a new pose you need to add not only 18 body pictures (3 body types x 3 skin tones x pregnancy status), but also about 40 (13 types x 3 skin tones) face pictures and several dozens (if not more than a hundred - pictures of clothes and accessories), ah, and hairstyles - about 20 pieces.

2. Difficulty of adding (or changing) programme code for already started games. At first glance, the game logic based on Action objects is revolutionary in relation to most Ren'Py games. It seems to be enough, without changing any script files, to add a file with define object Action and a block of Ren'Py code with the appropriate label and we will get a new event in the game, even started. But Vren did not fully realise this possibility. All objects are saved with the game - even menu items. And it is impossible to add an action, a menu item, a new room, a personality type, a job, eventually a trait serum to a started game.
I too have watched the evolution of LabRats2, and I confirm that most of Vren's work was spent adding pictures to the game.

And if you need to add a logic change, there was no solution for the sandbox other than "let's burn old saves". And that, I think, annoyed subscribers. However, there is always the option to "hook" one event into another, and add the necessary objects to the started game, but it's not that easy, and it's not really clean for the sandbox concept.
And I believe that such difficulties no less than an accident could have caused him to leave the project.
And if someone likes to harp on the Ukrainian option, I believe this forum is out of politics, and it's against the rules.

kurosx

Oct 1, 2017
I too believe
No, that is, what I am talking about. Everybody's just "guessing" or "believing" what might or might not has happened to Vren. But nobody does really know what has happened. We have no proof or even circumstantial evidence, but everyone has an opinion. Which is fine, but only as long as you mark your speculations here as what it is - guesswork.
And with that I am at my previous point. Vren may be "dead, dissatisfied, Ukraine, abducted by aliens, isekai'ed by Truck-kun" or something else, we do not know. I do not know (of course). But it would be nice if someone would have some hard facts, not speculations. But this has not been the case so far.

Reactions: nal654321

a1fox3

Loving Family Member's
Respected User
Donor
Aug 8, 2017

smkey21

Nov 15, 2017
Does anyone how to edit character default 20 points in the beginning of the new game?
There's a way to do so, but I don't have an unzipped version of the game to hunt around the code even if I felt like it. If I recall correctly the dev console is active by default, and you just need to hit shift+o to alter your stats. If I'm mistaken then you will need to unlock the dev console, which I won't get into unless it isn't unlocked. Once you are out of the character creation menu you can use the following code in the dev console to alter your stats to whatever you feel like, you will just need to edit the numbers to the ones you want.

mc.hr_skill = 10;mc.research_skill = 10;mc.production_skill = 10;mc.market_skill = 10;mc.supply_skill = 10;mc.sex_skills["Foreplay"] = 10;mc.sex_skills["Oral"] = 10;mc.sex_skills["Anal"] = 10;mc.sex_skills["Vaginal"] = 10;mc.focus = 10; mc.charisma = 10;mc.int = 10;mc.business.funds = 50000

You can change them all at once after adjusting the numbers to what you would like and then hit enter to change the stats. I'd suggest using a text editor just to make sure you don't mess things up. Just to clarify this would set every skill and all your stats to 10 and set the business to have 50000 funds. if you wanted to have 8 charisma you would change the text "mc.charisma = 10" to "mc.chaisma = 8" and so on. The semicolon( ; ) is just used so all the stuff can be changed with one command. Each chunk could also be entered individually if you don't want to change everything. I'll also warn you that you probably don't want to go very high on any of the numbers or you will unbalance the game pretty badly.

Reactions: JoshWen
3.40 star(s) 127 Votes