Monarch_0

Jun 7, 2023
I was considering trying to edit Kutsujoku 3, for starters.
Thank you for the resources. I'll try to look into these myself and see what I can come up with.

Edit: I have instead decided to go with Chijoku no Seifuku 2. Let's see how it goes.

Last edited:

Monarch_0

Jun 7, 2023
I do not know where to document my editing process for the game Chijoku no Seifuku 2, so I figure for starters I will do it here.

I spent almost an hour trying to build the BSXScript tool from source without having to install Visual Studio bloat. I ended up achieving it by downloading the dotnet SDK, then running `dotnet restore` and `dotnet msbuild` on the .csproj file.
That let me have the executable all ready to run.

I grabbed the MTL off SVN and applied the tool to it.
That let me have the raw MTL for the game, all for me to edit. I noticed a few different things.

1710678204698.png

All of these are repeated twice. This is strange.
I developed a quick script to hack away the duplicates along with the newline gaps. I would add them back in once I was done with the editing.

1710678421389.png

This considerably decreases the lines of the original down by a third! That's a lot less than I imagined I have to edit, phew! And for good reason too.

I believe this is where the real editing part starts. I will keep you updated.

shiny-kuki

May 6, 2020
You didn't have to compile the tool.... There's a compiled version in that link I posted (on the right where it says releases)
You use the command-line to run it

As for the double lines, yeah I'm not sure about that. I think you only need to edit one of the lines though. I could be wrong. But I can't check cause I uninstalled the game

Still, I'm impressed you did all that stuff yourself, compiling, writing your own script, nice
Remember you can repack using the same tool whenever you want to test it in-game
And yea, that game is no joke at 50k lines. You might want to pick a heroine and just edit one route.

Last edited:

Monarch_0

Jun 7, 2023
You didn't have to compile the tool.... There's a compiled version in that link I posted (on the right where it says releases)
You use the command-line to run it

As for the double lines, yeah I'm not sure about that. I think you only need to edit one of the lines though. I could be wrong. But I can't check cause I uninstalled the game

Still, I'm impressed you did all that stuff yourself, compiling, writing your own script, nice
Remember you can repack using the same tool whenever you want to test it in-game
And yea, that game is no joke at 50k lines. You might want to pick a heroine and just edit one route.
Ah... a fool's errand. Goddamit. Now I feel slightly stupid. But at least now I know how to compile .csproj without Visual Studio if I never needed to do so in the future...

Monarch_0

Jun 7, 2023
1710754744993.png

Another anomaly. From line 2124 onwards, it seems as if the scene timeskips ahead to the aftermath of MC's first attack on Fumika.
Not sure where the rest of the skipped text is... but I do know it's in the script somewhere.

(read before the highlighted line, then after that line to get my point.)

Additionally, progress is unbearably, indubitably slow. While I was editing this in Vim, the indicator kept telling me I was only 2% done out of a text file of almost 99k. (including lines that are just '\n's, so realistically I only have to edit half of it)
If I got only 2.1k lines done out of a txt file of 99k on a good day, this means it'll take me well more than a month and a half to be able to completely finish editing this. Whew!

I am also editing some lines to be completely repurposed. This happens when the MTL is so absolutely incorrigible I have no idea what it means.

e.g. "the size of her breasts makes her look military" ???what the fuck
I just change it to something about the protagonist wanting to look away from her so as to not awaken his dark desires (this is still the opening, don't worry)

I AM working on a script that lets me feed the text file line by line into a reverse proxy that connects to Claude/GPT-4/WhateverelseIcanfind, but I am afraid that it would break the '\n' newline arrangement of the file... I think I'll work on ANOTHER script that will insert these newlines into the script for me, but so far the orientations of these newlines seem random, but they're always after 60-75 characters from the start. I will have to give this more thought.

I'll play around and see what I can come up with. Cheers.
p.s: I had no idea this title was themed around a uniform fetish, but it's a welcome change from the school-themed translations we currently have.

tldr: 2% edited. Yes, it looks like the edit is necessary, a lot of mistargeted pronouns and misplaced and/so/buts exist.

shiny-kuki

May 6, 2020
You also have name lines, so it's not really 99k. Maybe 30 or 40k. Still a lot of work for one person to do

I would just remove the \n's if I were you. They're not doing anything for you. The moment you edit a line it stops being the same length so you've broken the word-wrap.

For word-wrapping, you wanna use VNTextPatch. It will do the word-wrap for you. But obviously you do word-wrapping at the end so it's not something you need to worry about now.
Although you can't really test it without word-wrapping it.... which is why this engine kinda sucks to work with.

You seem to be good at scripting, so maybe you can one-click the whole conversion process and be able to test it easily. I tried making a word-wrap script once, before VNTextPatch was a thing. It was hell, I broke my head trying to make it work perfectly and it never did. So I advise against it unless you're ready to spend some time on it.

Monarch_0

Jun 7, 2023
I would just remove the \n's if I were you. They're not doing anything for you. The moment you edit a line it stops being the same length so you've broken the word-wrap.
After putting a bit of effort into things, I've managed to make a script that automatically puts newlines into the dialogue after every 65th character (if it would put it between a word, it inserts it after that word instead)

1710908082608.png

it first strips the original string of all newline characters, then puts in newlines at every 65th character, so I'm fine in that department. If the wrapping is too big or too small, I can change up the wrap length.

And about that script that connects to Claude 2.1... ahhhahh...
1710908667253.png
I tried to tell it this.
And I got this...
1710909247687.png

This was incredibly unfuriating... there is almost no documentation on how to send json data via the HTTP POST requests you send to the API, so I had to figure it out through slamming my head on the wall and looking at error logs sheer trial and error.

I decided,'fuck it, I'll just use Claude 3 instead'.
But Anthropic has changed up the format in which you send them the json containing your request, and the error message is NOT helpful at all. What the fuck even is this shit?? 'one human and one assistant'??
1710909364339.png

So here I am, trying to figure that out. There is nothing I could find online that documentats this unless I'm just fucking retarded.
I'm determined though. And stubborn. I'll figure it out eventually.

Monarch_0

Jun 7, 2023
My stubbornness had paid off!
1710941670546.png 1710941678198.png 1710941686505.png

Of course, it's incredibly rudimentary, but it works! I'm going to modify it to allow manual editing, the line wrapping that I discussed, add a few shortcuts to handle misgendering, incorrect quotes, and the like!
I am very happy. I worked on this for two entire days. Holy shit. This feels great.

p.s: those lines had already been edited by me, so not much change is apparent, but I've used Claude 3 before and I know it is great for this use case.

Last edited:

shiny-kuki

May 6, 2020
Very rad. People have been using AI to translate from japanese, but this is AI being used to fix another AI. I think it's a first.

ncelsword

Jun 8, 2020
Very rad. People have been using AI to translate from japanese, but this is AI being used to fix another AI. I think it's a first.
and if you streamline that a little more you can turn that into a single AI process optimized for translation.

Monarch_0

Jun 7, 2023
It's important to note that whatever I'm making is intended to have a human element that checks every single output produced by the model and OKs it. It takes time to manually edit every output, but significantly lesser time to OK most outputs and correct a few slightly wrong outputs.
It's way better than blindly trusting the machine. Nothing feels worse than an immersion-ruining mistranslation.

Monarch_0

Jun 7, 2023
1711183747414.png
1711183863964.png
Refining the TUI to be more user friendly. I've removed the dependency on GNU-Readline so it works on both Windows and Linux derivates. All you need is Python and the dependencies you can install easily through pip.

I'm going to end up releasing this on Github when I feel it's satisfactory enough.

yesz

Jul 11, 2019
when trying to use fullscreen, it is severely cropped. any fixes?

Monarch_0

Jun 7, 2023
regarding shihai no kyoudan 2, i've paused it owing to exams coming up, i'll attempt an edit afterwards

3.00 star(s) 2 Votes