Ren'Py [KK] Re Alter Love, dev corner

Temishenko

Jan 13, 2018
Hey there! I finally got a PC powerful enough to render the custom scenes I made in CharaStudio using Koikatsu. I'm still getting 5-10 fps but at least is not as bad as it used to be lmao

I will be releasing the first version next month, while we wait for that let me tell you more about it.

As an adult games enjoyer myself I tried to implement as much QoL features as possible and I'm trying to offer something different, that's why my PC suffers daily with custom made locations and items which can be used for environmental storytelling. Everything is created in CharaStudio and re-arranged on Renpy using the Parallax effect for a sense of depth. Most assets are from the community with my own personal touch, in fact everything I made was possible for the tools the community provided. Thank you.

Characters:
Animated sprites, at least they blink so they kinda feel more livid. They got their schedule which varies depending on their emotions, time of the day or just randomly. There are five emotions implemented with more on the way** (Angry, Happy, Sad, Surpised and my personal favorite IDLE). Emotions may vary depending on your relationship with them, but most of the time is simply up to them and whatever may happen off-camera.
Side images:

hey.png

Quick menu for character stats:
Always wanted to quickly check the stats of the character you are speaking to? Well, now you can access to a short summary by just hovering your mouse on their side image when they are speaking to you. You can also check your quick stats when the MC is speaking as well.
stats1.png stats2.png

Inventory, market system, item class:
You got your own inventory which you can easly access hovering your mouse over the inventory tab. If you hover over your items a window will display the items name, description, class and value.
If you are on a shop, you may be able to sell the items you got if they are interested in them. You may also buy items needed for a quest and be able to trade with non-merchant characters and even give a present to that special one.
Items got their own classes! Legendary, Epic, Rare, Normal and Banned items. The later are highly illegal and if you are caught with/using them you may end temporary in jail and get locked out from certain character paths if they find out about your criminal record, however, there might be some girls who are into bad guys.

Clothes, characters and MC:
While in freeroam mode you can wear whatever you want, mind you might have to wear certain clothes to progress on some quest and unlock others. Characters will also change their clothes depending on location, emotions and other variables.
Most characters and MC got ~5 outfits. (Casual, school, swimwear, sleepwear, special, work) More might be added for some events.

Map and navigation:
I don't have the knowledge to make an isometric city so I did this interface which let us choose a location > position and display the characters there and nearby quests in the chosen location. I also find this very simple and not as frustrating as other ways of navigation where you don't know where to go or just where to find someone if you don't remember their schedule. There is also the option to manually move from room to room clicking on doors, sidewalks, etc.

MISC:
Modern UI with animations.
Here's a quick video I made with a dev version showing most of the features I mentioned. You have to watch it on youtube since its +18

I'm also looking for people willing to spell-check the script.
All criticism is welcome! Thanks for reading

test3.png

• Love
Reactions: guttermind

Temishenko

Jan 13, 2018
devat.png
I'm now working on the house navigation with the day-cycles. There is a total of 8 in-house locations. GIF is at 25FPS, in-game animations are way smoother. At the moment characters have an action list and they can choose them randomly.

output3.gif

hr.png

par.png
I'm using the parallax effect for each location for a sense of a 3D space, the characters body actually exist behind what's in front of them, I also wanted a way of interactivity always present so the characters sprites move a little bit with the mouse movement, sounds weird but feels good***. ***At least for me

hr.png