RPGM - Kilgor & the Succubus World [v0.9.0] [Troll ol]

1. 1.00 star(s)

NinjaNamedBob

I love myself some femdom games mixed with succubi/monster girls, and I don't even mind grinding in rpg's as long as the reward matches the work. Unfortunately, a terrible endgame dungeon mixed with a barely-there story does not a good game make.

First and foremost, the story. It's a pretty neat concept to make this an isekai story. Unfortunately, much of your goal of getting home is exposited to you by npcs and your few moments of autonomy are in deciding to auto-kill yourself to bosses or to fight them. There are no known sidequests (not that I checked), so it's a pretty straight line towards the end goal. About 80% the way into your fetch quest story, your main character starts seeing visions from the past. The context basically spoils the final boss around 2 dungeons before the final dungeon (which has around 4-5 bosses apiece, with the final dungeon having around 10+). If these visions had been spread throughout your journey, it could have been a neat build-up towards a heart-wrenching confrontation.

The combat is fine, to a point. The mobs drop massive amounts of gold and exp which would sound fine in theory, but the overall design of purchasable stuff and leveling becomes a slog after a period. The final dungeon does provide a ton of extras like exp potions and stat boosters, but the benefits from those are too low to matter. It doesn't help that the final dungeon has bosses that will wipe the floor with you even when you max your level, making the entire point of grinding pointless.

Speaking of, the art of the succubi is actually pretty good. The problem is that the developer didn't put much effort into ensuring that when certain scenes zoom in on a part of the art, the art didn't just pixelate into a barely discernible mess. Couple that with the fact that the balancing issues around boss battles becomes painfully apparent in the final dungeon to the point where a boss can spam their level drain skill and you can't actively prevent it, which leads to a frustrating experience.

Honestly, I liked the art, the scenes (although, if English is not the dev's first language, I would highly advise in favor of finding an editor), and the neat story concept that emerges far too late to be anything but a desperate last-minute attempt at weaving some form of emotional weight into the story. The problems, unfortunately, bring this game down. Things such as mobs spawning too often, and balancing problems make it an almost unplayable mess from start to finish. Its one saving grace is that, as the dev's first project, it can also start as a foundation for future games that improve upon where this one fell far too short.