Keyboard and Mouse not working properly after playing Unity game

Niub

Jul 8, 2018
So I came across a game called "Strong Desire" (
https://f95zone.to/threads/strong-desire-v0-3a-theblueink.153035/page-18) and decided to give it a shot. In game everything seemed to work fine though I noted the spacebar didnt work which I thought was just an odd dev choice.

After Quitting the game I quickly noted though that neither my Keyboard nor my mouse would function properly. I cant write in search bars or select tabs in Firefox with Mouse left click anymore, instead tabs just get marked. I tried restarting and replugging but to no effect .

After fiddling a bit I noted that certain keys commonly used as hotkeys in games would still work, like spacebar and Tabulator (though Letter keys wont write the actual Letter), right click also still works. So my guess is that I am perma locked into hotkey mode due to the game.

Is this fixable somehow? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am essentially left with a barely working PC. I also writing this here to get a larger audience and increase my chance to get a solution since this is a severe outside the game issue.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Do you have other input devices plugged in? Such as controllers?

Reactions: Niub

Niub

Jul 8, 2018
Do you have other input devices plugged in? Such as controllers?
I had during the game yes, but I had unplugged it afterwards during my own attempt troubleshooting suspecting it might interfere somehow. Could it still be related?

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
I had during the game yes, but I had unplugged it afterwards during my own attempt troubleshooting suspecting it might interfere somehow. Could it still be related?
If you unplugged everything, plugged only your mouse and keyboard and did a full reboot, I doubt it.
Do they work in safe mode?

Niub

Jul 8, 2018
If you unplugged everything, plugged only your mouse and keyboard and did a full reboot, I doubt it.
Ok, I deleted the previous comment as I figured out to access menu from where to get the safe start option but my Keyboard doesnt work during the reboot so I cant press 4 or f4 to boot up safe mode ._.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Ok, I deleted the previous comment as I figured out to access menu from where to get the safe start option but my Keyboard doesnt work during the reboot so I cant press 4 or f4 to boot up safe mode ._.
Try reinstalling the drivers from the official website of your keyboard, so if it is a logitech, go to their website and after picking your model, install the latest drivers and see if that fixes the issue (If they are the same, simply reinstall).

Niub

Jul 8, 2018
Ok now I am just confused. As stated I TRIED to enter safe mode to no avail as F keys wouldnt work, also tried the F8 during boot up to no avail and now suddenly everything works just fine again??? Like what the actual fuck? And I am definitively not in Safe mode right now, I can access the internet and everything. Has my hickie just mystically resolved itself? x_X
I was seriously pondering if I should just flatten my System or get a cheap keyboard that hopefully works during bootup.

I guess this is solved now? Thanks for your help buddy, Much appreciated. No fkin clue what was going on here with my PC or why it's suddenly working now. maybe it was just the controller and I should have waited on shutdown longer? Or Maybe in the end computers are really magic devices powered by arcane magic beyond human comprehension.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Ok now I am just confused. As stated I TRIED to enter safe mode to no avail as F keys wouldnt work, also tried the F8 during boot up to no avail and now suddenly everything works just fine again??? Like what the actual fuck? And I am definitively not in Safe mode right now, I can access the internet and everything. Has my hickie just mystically resolved itself? x_X
I was seriously pondering if I should just flatten my System or get a cheap keyboard that hopefully works during bootup.

I guess this is solved now? Thanks for your help buddy, Much appreciated. No fkin clue what was going on here with my PC or why it's suddenly working now. maybe it was just the controller and I should have waited on shutdown longer? Or Maybe in the end computers are really magic devices powered by arcane magic beyond human comprehension.
Glad it managed to fix itself! I meant to leave the controller unplugged after a reboot, as multiple input devices can cause issues.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Try reinstalling the drivers from the official website of your keyboard, so if it is a logitech, go to their website and after picking your model, install the latest drivers and see if that fixes the issue (If they are the same, simply reinstall).
It can't be that.
The keyboard don't need driver at boot time (it wouldn't be loaded at this time anyway). The BIOS directly get the keycode from the motherboard port, expecting to find a given keyboard layout. So the issue lied somewhere else.

Reactions: Winterfire

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
It can't be that.
The keyboard don't need driver at boot time (it wouldn't be loaded at this time anyway). The BIOS directly get the keycode from the motherboard port, expecting to find a given keyboard layout. So the issue lied somewhere else.
I assume it was the controller then, can't think of anything else that would cause issues with keyboard/mouse

Niub

Jul 8, 2018
I assume it was the controller then, can't think of anything else that would cause issues with keyboard/mouse
Yeah, that's my best guess too. I have had input device conflicts beforehand couple years back with Mass Effect 1 due to my controller being plugged in, that's why I immediately thought of unplugging it and restarting to see if that resolves the issue (though in case of ME1 the issues where entirely in game).

My best guess is that the controller caused an issue during the game or exit/start thereof which persisted across reboots since as far as I remember windows keeps some data stored in ready access memory for a while even after shutdown and one of my reboots cleared that. Maybe it was the boot up of the advanced boot up menu that cleansed the memory with the conflict?

Maybe this is just a lesson that one should actually wait a while after shut down or at least unplug the power supply of the PC.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Yeah, that's my best guess too. I have had input device conflicts beforehand couple years back with Mass Effect 1 due to my controller being plugged in, that's why I immediately thought of unplugging it and restarting to see if that resolves the issue (though in case of ME1 the issues where entirely in game).

My best guess is that the controller caused an issue during the game or exit/start thereof which persisted across reboots since as far as I remember windows keeps some data stored in ready access memory for a while even after shutdown and one of my reboots cleared that. Maybe it was the boot up of the advanced boot up menu that cleansed the memory with the conflict?

Maybe this is just a lesson that one should actually wait a while after shut down or at least unplug the power supply of the PC.
Yeah, in the new Windows Operative Systems, shutdown doesn't clear everything hence why when you are having such issues, a reboot is the best option.