• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

RPGM Just started, what kind of mistakes do people make with there first game?

a_soda

Sep 12, 2016
Hey Fellow Adult Gamers!
I have always loved playing adult games and thought why not start making something myself, I have tried before to set up a team but it has never worked out.
I have RPG Maker, MV to be precise and I have started working on a game, it is in really early stages. I am an artist and animator so I got the art part covered.

I kind of just wanna ask what is some stuff is easy to miss in the beginning or mistake that people do? The first thing I could think of was people usually make the game to big, which is why I have decided to make a smaller game to start with. Only two main characters and some background characters.

Quick summer of the game:
You wake up on an island, this island is only populated by monster and rejected races. After a lot of problems, you fall over a Half-Dark elf.
You decided to help her with her problems, cuz you don't really have anything else to do and most other things and people want to kill you.
A small game about you and the Half-Dark elf going though the Islands hardship and might discover more about it and yourself... or just kill and
fuck things, that's cool too.

Thank you for your time! <3
~ Have a great day ~
A_soda

Morgan42

Oct 9, 2019
Overly complex puzzles. If you're going to make a game on RPG maker, I recommend you check out Treasures of Nadia. Most of his puzzles are very simple and obvious fetch quests and his actual puzzles are fairly simple. I think that's the best route to go. Also, his in game help feature is both sexy and very helpful although I'm sure it was a pain in the ass to program.

Reactions: Ghostbull

about_it

Game Developer
Aug 7, 2020
Building a game and writing a good story requires a clear plan. This will make it easier to code the game. If the idea is blurred, then creativity can turn into anguish.

• Sad
Reactions: Cul

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
One mistake I've seen several developers do initially is forget that part of their images will nearly always be covered by the dialogue box. You still need to make a full page image, but the focus should be at about the 1/3 from top of image, not at 1/2 or lower.

a_soda

Sep 12, 2016
Overly complex puzzles. If you're going to make a game on RPG Maker, I recommend you check out Treasures of Nadia. Most of his puzzles are very simple and obvious fetch quests and his actual puzzles are fairly simple. I think that's the best route to go. Also, his in-game help feature is both sexy and very helpful although I'm sure it was a pain in the ass to program.
Sins this is my first game I am gonna make the puzzles and whatever the quests might be. And yeah I love that game but I feel like he knows a little bit more what he is doing. So I am gonna keep it simple yet fun.

Yeah, and the help features are nice but yeah, don't think I will be able to make anything like that yet. Maybe in the future. But thank you for the tips and time!

a_soda

Sep 12, 2016
Building a game and writing a good story requires a clear plan. This will make it easier to code the game. If the idea is blurred, then creativity can turn into anguish.
Yes, simple but the fun is what I am going for with this game. I wanna make something fun but still simple for me to make and for people to enjoy.

Thank you for your time!

a_soda

Sep 12, 2016
One mistake I've seen several developers do initially is forget that part of their images will nearly always be covered by the dialogue box. You still need to make a full page image, but the focus should be at about the 1/3 from top of image, not at 1/2 or lower.
Yeah, I already have that in mind, sins I am an artist I at least have that down. But thank you for the tip and time!