Ren'Py - Abandoned - Jack Hall Revenge [v0.4.0] [Praline]

1. 1.00 star(s)

Hyperserver

bascially all is said by Zippity and Geamoiri before:
    just NO, NO and once more NO !!!
    its hard enough to grind through a game without having important content during grind, but what you get is more than a terrible english.
    i am not english native myself, but this is just a NO-GO
    its more frenglish than english.
    Sorry to give 1*, but its not possible to give 0
  2. 1.00 star(s)

geamoiri

Zippity pretty much covered me to be honest.

I can't in good conscience give more than 1 star to a game or VN , with so terrible Englfrish. I don't care if "it's not my mother tongue" or "English is not my first language" or blah blah blah..

No No a thousand times No.
  3. 2.00 star(s)

Zippity

The following review is based off my personal experience with playing this Game/Visual Novel... I try to be as brutally honest and detailed as I can, and these are my own opinions and thoughts, from one or more play throughs...

(03/02/2018 - Original Review - v0.1.0)

The concept is unique and creative, but the game play execution is not fun at all...

The visuals of the characters are decent at times and very grainy at other times... Most of the backdrops seem unique and creative, but they have their share of glitches... Such as when visiting the psychiatrist, the outside of her home looks like a barren flat grassland as far as the eye can see... Needs to have some filler added in to match with the visuals from inside the home when looking out the window... There are no animations, and very few erotic scenes...

The script has a lot of broken English and spelling/grammar errors... The plot revolves around a male protagonist cop who's parents died when he was young and his adoptive family raised him... He gets injured in the line of duty and loses his adoptive father in the process... While on medical leave he has to attend medical therapy, and psychiatric therapy...

There are a lot of confusing things going on in this story... Such as how he speaks to his adoptive mother... He calls her Mrs. Ellis rather then mom or her first name, even though she pretty much raised him... He called Mr. Ellis his dad when ever he spoke, so I don't understand why he talks to his adoptive mother like she's some stranger he barely knows... Then during the grind game there is never an option to visit his family, which was odd... Why focus so much on their inclusion in the intro if he never plans to talk to or visit them... And there are other things...

Add to all that, once the introduction is over with the visual novel/game switches into a sort of grind mode... But the thing is, at first it self-finishes repetitively each day for the first couple weeks, which at first makes you think the content is done at that point... But then you get to select what to do each day, which again becomes highly repetitive and there are not many choices... This keeps going on for a while, with some stats increasing if you take him to his therapy sessions as they come up... Those sessions are also highly repetitive... That goes on for quite a while, before suddenly you get a Yoga Session you can go to with the Doctor...

That is about the time I noticed that as you keep going through the extremely boring and repetitive grind over and over and over again, eventually the doctor changes her clothing during the yoga, and this happens a few more times before some real content finally rears it's ugly head... In the form of a quick, and grainy, hot tub tit job scene... Which will also repeat for a while before she changes her clothes in the therapy sessions, which is also another highly grainy picture... After some more grinding away your life, the content FINALLY ends...

There is so much wasted time doing absolutely nothing what so ever but selecting the same choices with no story or difference for a long while, I would not be surprised that folks quit way early on, thinking they've already seen all the content that exists, shortly after the introduction story ends... All that meaningless grinding could have been done away with or shortened... Only reason I kept going with it, was just to see what if... I was just messing around, and only on the precipice of giving up and calling it, did I notice, out of the blue, that her clothes slightly changed in one of the repeating yoga sessions... Otherwise this review would have been far shorter than it is...

Also, some of the menu choices and the exit game section is not in English... I think it's in French...

Overall, there is a lot of proofreading and re-translation/interpretation that needs to be done for this VN/Game... And something has got to be done about that dumb grind stuff, that I almost just stopped doing, if not for me being a bit curios... The story concept sounds interesting, but the immersion aspects need to be looked at during the intro, to ensure that it has better continuity... As another example, it looks like the protagonist gets shot, but later on you find out the car exploded, but visually it did not look that way... Stuff like that... Will I revisit this one? Only if it fixes it's many flaws...

(04/20/2018 - Review Update - v0.2.0)

Almost the entire game has changed... Not sure I would call it a update, as more of a complete overhaul... The initial introduction hasn't changed much, and the text has not improved at all, especially in the new content... Even some of the choice text is not great... It's a mix of some broken English along with spelling/grammar errors... You can read most of it, but it's not easy... There is a lot more to the introduction and backstory then there was previously...

This go around, after the shooting, the male protagonist is assigned to a military group for 5 years... What boggles my brain is that he is sent to work with this special group as a form of therapy... Not sure how being in a military combat team is therapy, but ok... His step-mother dies in this new content while he is away, and when he returns his sister has grown up... Supposedly she was under some sort of protective custody until she was an adult, and now lives with her aunt... Of course, the protagonist has the option to peek at her getting naked, so that adds the overused Family Sex stuff into the story... When he returns he is assigned as a detective, and finds out his sister works in the police lab as well as a lifeguard with Baywatch... Go figure...

In any case, he also is assigned to voluntary therapy with the female therapist from the prior content... Which is odd, because the prior content where you had to grind a relationship with her that got a bit erotic, is no longer a part of this VN/Game... And yet they act like all that content that no longer exists, actually still happened... Threw the continuity out the window...

There is now a new daily grind, raising relationships with several different women... After a couple days of the grind game, the current content ends...

Overall, I feel more confused with this new version of the game then I did previously... The text being as it is, along with all the information being thrown at you, it feels a bit thrown together sometimes... Not always, just now and then... The prior grainy scenes that were kept in this version are still there, as grainy looking as ever... The new scenes are bit better, but still not the best... The developers are trying to add some depth and meaning to the story, which conceptually is interesting... Just needs some work on the execution of the story... Will I revisit this game again? Maybe, have to wait and see... There are some improvements, but still a lot of issues as well...