Ren'Py Issue with saves

JerryC

Mar 5, 2019
Hello guys,

So I recently updated my computer to Windows 11. On Windows 10, all my RenPy saves were located both in the AppData folder and in another "saves" folder I had in the "game" folder at the root of the game's files.

Now when I'm launching a game, it ignores the "saves" folder, taking into account only the user's AppData\roaming\renpy folder. I really liked to be able to move my saves directly from and to the game's folder, it was much easier. Is there a config or something I can do to activate this behavior?

Thanks ahead.

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
Why are you moving renpy saves around? Just leave them on your appdata as they are and you wont even have to keep track of them.
You can delete the game safely without losing saves while they are over there.

JerryC

Mar 5, 2019
Yes I won't remove them from there, although I'm often switching computers so I took the habit of storing my saves on dropbox anytime I'm finishing an update, so they're available on whatever computer I want to play. It's a hassle to go in AppData when it used to be a simple drop of the folder in the game's folder.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Now when I'm launching a game, it ignores the "saves" folder, taking into account only the user's AppData\roaming\renpy folder.
What make you believe this ?

Is there a config or something I can do to activate this behavior?
No, because there's absolutely no reason for this to happen out of the blue.

The problem come more surely from a misunderstanding regarding Ren'Py save/load process. Since Ren'Py have two locations for its save files, it obviously have to have a way to decide which file will be used. This simply because they can perfectly be out of sync ; by example when you install a save file from someone else, or use an update that come with its own save files.
It perhaps have changed and now give the priority to the system based save files (what would make sense), but last time I looked, Ren'Py was always giving the priority to the newer file.

JerryC

Mar 5, 2019
What make you believe this ?

No, because there's absolutely no reason for this to happen out of the blue.

The problem come more surely from a misunderstanding regarding Ren'Py save/load process. Since Ren'Py have two locations for its save files, it obviously have to have a way to decide which file will be used. This simply because they can perfectly be out of sync ; by example when you install a save file from someone else, or use an update that come with its own save files.
It perhaps have changed and now give the priority to the system based save files (what would make sense), but last time I looked, Ren'Py was always giving the priority to the newer file.
I can say this with certainty because if I start a new game and make a save, it doesn't create a "save" folder in the game, only creates the file in AppData. The save file isn't created in two locations, only one.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
I can say this with certainty because if I start a new game and make a save, it doesn't create a "save" folder in the game, only creates the file in AppData. The save file isn't created in two locations, only one.
Give you full access to the game folder, run the game with the administrator rights, or put the game somewhere else...