• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Ren'Py Is there a way to increase the font size universally not through mods in Ren'py games?

Apr 9, 2021
That's me again, I've recently began a visual novel called Chasing Sunsets and the font size is unfortunately really small.

Is there any """workaround""" to increase the size without breaking too much the text box OR without messing the CORRECT width where the "testo" is displayed?

Below I will post a screenshot that perfectly explains my current situation and why I crave someone to give me a VALID solution... have you ever witnessed smaller texts? I honestly have not... the image is 1 to 1 :oops:

CS_dy1cX09jIf.jpg

As always, thank you responses in advance AND have a great evening!

LightmanP

Modder
Game Developer
Oct 5, 2020
That's me again, I've recently began a visual novel called Chasing Sunset and the font size is unfortunately really small.

Is there any """workaround""" to increase the size without breaking too much the text box OR without messing the CORRECT width where the "testo" is displayed?

Below I will post a screenshot that perfectly explains my current situation and why I crave someone to give me a VALID solution... have you ever witnessed smaller texts? I honestly have not... the image is 1 to 1 :oops:

View attachment 1665107

As always, thank you responses in advance AND have a great evening!
Me again, press "a" to open the accessibility menu. There you can increase the font size and the font itself among other stuff.

Apr 9, 2021
Me again, press "a" to open the accessibility menu. There you can increase the font size and the font itself among other stuff.
Life-saver, but what if it's not enough?

I mean that even at maximum... the text still comes out too small for me. Not to mention that the menus are practically unmanageable at max bar, would there be another way?

LightmanP

Modder
Game Developer
Oct 5, 2020
Life-saver, but what if it's not enough?

I mean that even at maximum... the text still comes out too small for me. Not to mention that the menus are practically unmanageable at max bar, would there be another way?
Then it's a bit more involved. Option A - find gui.rpy file inside the game folder with a text editor (Notepad++ is decent for simple stuff). You may need to unpack .rpa files/unrpyc with unren if you don't see .rpy files (means they are packaged inside .rpa archives). Find "define gui.text_size" and change its value, start the game.

Option B - put the attached file into "game" folder. It overwrites the default preferences menu, dialogue screen and adds a text size slider. You can only double the size by default but you can change that by searching and modifying the "range" multiplier. The con is that if the game has any custom options in preferences, you won't see them. You can modify the original ones to avoid that, but I won't go into that.

On the other note, I can highly recommend Transparent Text Box Mod for a better visual of the textbox and choice menus.

Apr 9, 2021
Then it's a bit more involved. Option A - find gui.rpy file inside the game folder with a text editor (Notepad++ is decent for simple stuff). You may need to unpack .rpa files/unrpyc with unren if you don't see .rpy files (means they are packaged inside .rpa archives). Find "define gui.text_size" and change its value, start the game.
That's what I'm talking about, to try absolutely (y)

Option B - put the attached file into "game" folder. It overwrites the default preferences menu, dialogue screen and adds a text size slider. You can only double the size by default but you can change that by searching and modifying the "range" multiplier. The con is that if the game has any custom options in preferences, you won't see them. You can modify the original ones to avoid that, but I won't go into that.
Another valid method, they are ONLY "gentlewomen" and gentlemen here on the forum... you are INDEED a spectacular community. I tend to get TOO excited for nothing, but all these troubleshooting sessions are pure gold to me

On the other note, I can highly recommend Transparent Text Box Mod for a better visual of the textbox and choice menus.
I am/was familiar with the MOD and by chance had already went to implement it even before your suggestion in your comment. The *Trasparent Text Box Mod* fixed the problem of the background of the text box that did not completely disappear, morever I did manually modifications with ATOM to the outline of the shadowso as to also improve visibility on certain "surfaces"!

This is my final result ↓

CS_s4tmTkc5dG.jpg

Last edited: