Tool Unity Introducing EZ-VN

NylonBandit

Jul 24, 2020
Hey guys, you may have seen my previous post about the Unity asset I've created for making Visual Novels in Unity without code, but if not, let me give you a quick summary.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

The main question I seem to get asked about this tool is 'So, how much will it cost?' and the second is 'When are you releasing it?'. The answers to those questions is 'now' and $2.50. However, there is a catch. The Toolkit is still in a very rough state, and should be considered Early Access or in a beta phase.

Read 'The Sob Story' for details on why I'm releasing this early in kind of an unfinished state.

Now with regards to future plans...

So with all that said, let me give more details on the Patreon. There are 3 tiers starting from, Bronze to Gold, starting from $2.50 per month. All tiers get access to the download and updates with Silver and Gold members getting access to the Discord and Gold members getting their own little space for priority support and feature requests. Bronze members can currently get access to the Discord through the Founders role, but that's only available for a limited time while I try to get new members and build the community. More info on that is on the Patreon page. It's a little bare bones at the moment, but I will be adding channels and stuff over the next few weeks. I will be keeping an active eye on the sever as it's only administrator (While it's small), so it will be the best place to reach me if you have any questions or need support.

As for the download itself, the Package file is available right now to download, however I will need some additional time to get the demo project released. Basically, there are two versions of the download. The Package file which you need to import into a fresh Unity project and set up yourself, or the demo project witch will include a full project demo that you can build into a working game. I'll be spending my weekend creating Daz3D renders and making some demo assets for this demo project, so it should be available from the 15/08/2023 at the latest. There is a video on the Patreon page however, that demonstrates how easy it is to get a new project set up with just the package file, and I plan to do some other videos to show people how to use the database, the Action Tree Editor, and build the game to their desired platform over the next couple of weeks.

Lastly, and I know I've already mentioned this multiple times, but access to the Toolkit is considered EARLY ACCESS. There is still some functionality that needs adding and the evil bugs that need squashing. Please, please, please, only sign up if you interested in supporting the development of the toolkit and want to play around with it early and not if you're looking to jump right in and start making a game without the consideration some features are to be added at a later date.

Anyway, if you've made it this far, thank you. I'm sure it's been as much as a slog to read as it was to write...

Here's a link to the Patreon where more information is available:

Feel free to DM me with any questions you may have.

Last edited:

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
I'm sorry, but I am going to be a grinch here:

Imagine a Venn diagram of two groups of people:

One group is those who have the interest and energy level, and technical computer skills to write dialogues and create digital images, and have attention to details needed for a digital "art" project, and also can commit the huge amount of time needed to make a VN.

The other group are the people who CANNOT learn the tiny amount of Renpy needed to implement their dialogue and images into a basic VN product.

The two circles have almost no overlap.

tl;dr: the hard part of making VN is not the lack of "easy" engine options.

Reactions: anne O'nymous

NylonBandit

Jul 24, 2020
I'm sorry, but I am going to be a grinch here:

Imagine a Venn diagram of two groups of people:

One group is those who have the interest and energy level, and technical computer skills to write dialogues and create digital images, and have attention to details needed for a digital "art" project, and also can commit the huge amount of time needed to make a VN.

The other group are the people who CANNOT learn the tiny amount of Renpy needed to implement their dialogue and images into a basic VN product.

The two circles have almost no overlap.

tl;dr: the hard part of making VN is not the lack of "easy" engine options.
I feel like this is missing the point a little bit. The reason people use Ren'Py in the first place over Unity is because it's easy to use.

So the real argument you're trying to make is 'Why use EZVN over Ren'py?', which would be a fair point. In the current state I'd even admit myself Ren'Py is a better solution, but that won't be the case by the end of the year.

Once I get the current roadmap completed, you'll be able to do everything you can do in Ren'py with additional USP functionality like a unlocks gallery and achievements included in the box. All with a faster, more visual workflow, easier asset management and the additional functionality that comes with simply using an actual game engine like Unity.

With all that said, maybe I should switch up the marketing to focus less on the 'no code' thing and push it as a more visual workflow... because the no code thing might not be as enticing as I had planned. However, I still feel like 'No code' is a clearer tagline then 'A visual editor'. I worry focusing on the 'visual creation' aspect would have people saying 'WTF does that mean?', but I could be wrong on that.

EDIT: After putting some thought into this, I am going to stick with the 'No Code' tagline. It just highlights the USP of the custom visual script editor.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2018
Hey NylonBandit I see there haven't been any more updates on your EZVN. I remember joining as a beta tester, but got sidetracked with some life stuff (you know how it is), and I've been out of the loop. Is the project still alive?

Maesat

Jan 28, 2021
NylonBandit Hi there, 7 months later after your post stating your project will not be another Star Citizen...Sooo.. As per fellow user above me posted, any updates? That was an awfully long and well written post you made, to describe your product, I'd hate to think you wasted both yours and our time making it. Not all opinions are the same, and there are more than 2 categories of clients in that vein diagram mentioned by another user.. Me, for example, love to mess around with any dev application available. Good or worst than so and so, theres always something good to take and learn from it. And sure, i could check the patreon for the info i want, but the lack of commitment your thread ultimately ended up looking as doesn't inspire me to waste any more time than I have already.

Anyhow, take this with my best intentions in mind, even tho I may sound like a sacastic sob sometimes, i mean no disrespect. Just calling it as I see it.

Hope to hear again of your engine at one point. ✌