Ren'Py Inconsistencies in visual novels that have incest

CellSunz

Feb 15, 2024
I've noticed in a handful of visual novels that they go back and forth with character labels/titles. A game could have the incest tag or a warning at the beginning about its themes. But once the gameplay starts, characters are referred to as "Landlady", "Roommate", "friend". But it just so happens that your "landlady" has the same color hair as you, has similar physical features, raised you, etc. I just don't get the reason why they do this when there is already a tag and a warning. It's even more confusing when they switch labels throughout the game. Why refer to someone as your landlord then later call them dad or good friend? In one game the MC refers to the woman in his house as Landlady but another character asked him, "how's your mom?". "Oh, landlady is doing fine". Like what? Or characters changing from adopted family that just so happen to look a like, to roommate, then whatever else. I don't have a problem either way. It's just if you're gonna have a tag and say in the description that the characters are related. Why go back and forth with their labels? I guess it could be so players who don't mess with that theme will try out the game. But why not just pick a lane and stick with it? That's all, I just noticed this in a few vn. Like we can see the similarities in character design. We can read the tag and description. Is that lady who looks awfully similar to the mc, who happened to raise them, cook meals, wake them up everyday really the landlady? Just kinda makes the flow of the story a bit strange especially when the labels keep changing.

Last edited:

peterppp

Mar 5, 2020
it shouldn't be like that, it's mistakes by the devs. devs try to avoid patreon banning them because patreon doesn't allow incest so they make it into a landlady game and release an incest patch or something to add incest. but as you have noticed, some devs let mistakes slip past and characters still refer to them as mom or whatever

CellSunz

Feb 15, 2024
it shouldn't be like that, it's mistakes by the devs. devs try to avoid patreon banning them because patreon doesn't allow incest so they make it into a landlady game and release an incest patch or something to add incest. but as you have noticed, some devs let mistakes slip past and characters still refer to them as mom or whatever
I see, that makes a lot of sense with all the branching paths. Probably easy to overlook some things.

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
you shouldn't be playing the unpatched version, that's just for the patreon censors.

CellSunz

Feb 15, 2024
you shouldn't be playing the unpatched version, that's just for the patreon censors.
I have seen patch files on some pages before. I assumed that they were old or extra and that it would already be a part of the latest version. Damn i'm slow. Regardless, thank you for the knowledge.

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
I have seen patch files on some pages before. I assumed that they were old or extra and that it would already be a part of the latest version. Damn i'm slow. Regardless, thank you for the knowledge.
they're generally not released by the dev so they might lag a bit behind the newest updates, or they might not even be on the first page but somewhere in the last comments. but almost always when you see 'landlady' or something similar, there's gonna be an incest mod within days.

there's also patches for many games that don't have an incest story but the characters happen to fit the fetish. pretty much if it can be turned into incest someone's gonna make a patch.

Reactions: CellSunz