Tutorial Improve Visuals of VNs/Games/Comics

depechedNode

Oct 10, 2017
You might see some mod threads where some games visually enhanced and if you liked them, then this thread maybe useful to you.

There are several ways and tools to visually enhance images, you can use the one best suits to you or can combine them for even better visual experience. But before starting if you have a real potato PC, some of this tools may cook your potato, so be warned.

Tools I use:

Waifu2x: It's a great denoise and upscaling tool which use Deep Convolutional Neural Networks, especially good for comics, mangas, drawn art, etc with also "webp" image support. But also can be used for photos or 3DCG art. Here are some before-after examples:

Denoise and Magnify used, original vs illustration-mod: 167302_RJ215633_img_smp7.jpg 169392_167302_RJ215633_img_smp7(RGB)(noise_scale)(Level3)(x2.000000).jpg

Denoise only, original vs photo-mod vs illustration-mod: Bikgoddesspose5.png Bikgoddesspose5(Photo)(noise)(Level3).png Bikgoddesspose5(RGB)(noise)(Level3).png

Denoise only, original vs photo-mod vs illustration-mod: 42625_promo_3.jpg 42625_promo_3(Photo)(noise)(Level3).jpg 42625_promo_3(Y)(noise)(Level3).jpg

There are several settings for waifu2x as you can see in the examples, use the one that best suites your taste.

Online version:

Offline version:

If you have a Cuda supported Nvidia GPU, then offline version can be the better alternative. Denoise, magnify and settings are up to you, choose as you wish. "Split Size" determines the VRAM usage and can speed up the progress just a little. "TTA mode" is off for me.

It can batch convert images, you can drag & drop multiple folders to "Input Path" or select multiple images and drag & drop them too.

Extract the "waifu2x-caffe.zip" and start "waifu2x-caffe.exe"

Important: If you use Waifu2x with games/VNs, then don't forget to use same output extension as the original image. Some PNG images are transparent images which used as overlays in games, so changing it to jpg or something else will broke transparency and cause visual issues.

Important-2: If you upscale (magnify) images of Ren'py, RPGM, etc games/VNs then ingame visuals will be broken (zoomed, oversized, out of screen, etc.).

Image Editors with batch processing function:

Batch function is a must if you're dealing with VNs, comics, etc. which contains lots of images.
So here are some of my favorites which are free:

PhotoScape: Simple interface with easy to use functions. "Batch Editor" has less functions than the single image Editor, but still give enough options. I'm using "PhotoScape X Pro", but it's only available in Windows Store for Win10, but you may find a version that works in Win7 in warez forums.

PhotoScape and "PhotoScape X Pro" versions are very similar, "X Pro" version has some additional features like film filters.

ImBatch: More advanced batch editing options with easy to use interface. Use "Add Task" button to add several filtering, adjusting, effect options and tune as you like.

XnConvert: Similar to ImBatch with a little harder to use interface (especially preview function), but has some different filter and effect options. Most importantly this batch editor supports "webp" image format unlike the other two image editors.

- Some before-after examples with only image editors or with both editors and waifu2x:

131053_hallway4c4ps.png batch_131053_hallway4c4ps.png 90766_3dy1NO.png 90766_3dy1NO--.jpg 20170630084349711.png 20170630084349711--.jpg

These examples are done quickly just to show you the results. You can do much more, make it better or make it something very different visually.

Reshade: There's also a tool called "Reshade" which can be used for temporary visual enhancements by using post-processing injection. It's widely used for 3D games for better visual experiences. It has profiles and presets support, so it can remember the games and settings for each of them.

For Ren'Py, RPGM, Unity, etc. games I'm using older version of ReShade, v2.0.3f1 which has different UI but has similar functions. In my tests Reshade v3 had issues with both Ren'py and RPGM. Newer version, Rehade v3 can be used with Unity, Visionaire Studio and other engines.

For older versions use the link below and click on the "CLICK HERE" under Reshade Repository which will direct you to a mediafire folder.

Important:

- RPGM games has no issues with Reshade v2 except very old ones like RPG VX RTP which doesn't work with Reshade, because it lacks directx support.

- Ren'Py games works with Reshade V2 but can cause stability issues depending on the game, so save often. Also while exiting/quiting the game it can crash.

How to use Reshade v2: Extract the zip archive and start Reshade Asistant.

- Click on the "+" in "Profile" window and find the location and choose the "exe" of the game you want to enhance visually and click "open". For example "D:\Games\0.13.0.007\BigBrother.exe"

Important: For Ren'py games you must choose the exe in "\lib\windows-i686\" folder, otherwise reshade won't activate. For example for Milfy City select the "Milfy_City" exe in "D:\Games\Milfy_City-0.4b-pc\lib\windows-i686" folder.

- Click on "d3d9" and select confirm. Reshade can detect the directx version or Opengl usage on different engines, so don't be surprised if it automatically selects other options with different game engines.

- Now click on "Presets" on the right side of window and it wil bring " Presets" window and we will create preset for Milfy City. Click on "+" and enter the preset name you wish and select "confirm".

- Choose the preset you named for Milfy City in "Presets" window and click on "Shaders". Now we are in "Shaders" window, as you can see there are lots of options for visually enhancing your game. Now start your game and activate shaders, adjust them as you wish and save.

- For adjusting click on the activated shader and "Shader Settings" will be active on the right side, click on it and adjust the shader as you like and don't forget to save.

Reshade before-after examples: Untitled.jpg Untitled-2.jpg

- How to extract images from Ren'Py, RPGM, etc.:

Gameil

The Horny Gamer
Uploader
Sep 12, 2017
Important-2: If you upscale (magnify) images of RPGM games then ingame visuals will be broken (zoomed, oversized, out of screen, etc.).
I know this is pretty old post and I don't even know if anyone one will reply here but it seems most appropriate place to ask my question.
In regards to your important note, I would like to know how can I fix that issued of zoomed/oversized image when I try to run the RPGM game using an upscaled image?
It is mildly annoying to see the 542x413 resolution image upscaled and then pixelated when we full screen the game.
So is there any way I can make the game display the upscaled image at the correct aspect ratio and not lose quality when I full screen the game.

depechedNode

Oct 10, 2017
I know this is pretty old post and I don't even know if anyone one will reply here but it seems most appropriate place to ask my question.
In regards to your important note, I would like to know how can I fix that issued of zoomed/oversized image when I try to run the RPGM game using an upscaled image?
It is mildly annoying to see the 542x413 resolution image upscaled and then pixelated when we full screen the game.
So is there any way I can make the game display the upscaled image at the correct aspect ratio and not lose quality when I full screen the game.
You need to edit the game files (script files) for RPGM by changing or adding resolution settings. Depending on the game and RPGM version, some games are easier to do and some games are more complex, time consuming and frustrating. If you're willing to do you need to spend some time on RPG Maker forums or other sources for guides, additional codes and resolution script files. Also for some games you may need to adjust/upscale the images used for game assets like map, buildings, characters, etc. too.

If game is already using third party script files like Yanfly Engine Plugins, then if you're lucky, it maybe easy depending on the game by just doing resolution changes on plugins.js or YEP_CoreEngine.js files.

Let's say you successfully changed resolution for upscaled game art, there's another issue, performance decrease. Depending on the upscaling and RPGM version performance can drop massively when you go over default max resolution of RPGM engine. It doesn't matter much even if you have a powerful PC. So when upscaling try not to go over 720p or similar 4:3 variant resolution.

Reactions: Gameil

Gameil

The Horny Gamer
Uploader
Sep 12, 2017
You need to edit the game files (script files) for RPGM by changing or adding resolution settings. Depending on the game and RPGM version, some games are easier to do and some games are more complex, time consuming and frustrating. If you're willing to do you need to spend some time on RPG Maker forums or other sources for guides, additional codes and resolution script files. Also for some games you may need to adjust/upscale the images used for game assets like map, buildings, characters, etc. too.

If game is already using third party script files like Yanfly Engine Plugins, then if you're lucky, it maybe easy depending on the game by just doing resolution changes on plugins.js or YEP_CoreEngine.js files.

Let's say you successfully changed resolution for upscaled game art, there's another issue, performance decrease. Depending on the upscaling and RPGM version performance can drop massively when you go over default max resolution of RPGM engine. It doesn't matter much even if you have a powerful PC. So when upscaling try not to go over 720p or similar 4:3 variant resolution.
So after reading about it more here and on other forums I found out that most of the old RPGM games in XP or VX have limitations which restrict them to the lower resolutions. Also you mentioned the Yanfly Engine plugins could do the thing but reading it on their own website it doesn't seem it could go much higher, max I read was 800x600.
Further more the games I was wanting to upscale are older or in RPGM VX,XP and such. One of those is Noxian Nights.
RPGM MV games that I've played are mostly already in higher resolution.
One question though on editing game script files, can I do them in some simple text editing software like VSCode or do I have to download the specific game engine to do it.

Edit: Also thanks for the quick informative reply I really didn't I would get any here since the thread is 3 years old.

Last edited:
Reactions: depechedNode

depechedNode

Oct 10, 2017
So after reading about it more here and on other forums I found out that most of the old RPGM games in XP or VX have limitations which restrict them to the lower resolutions. Also you mentioned the Yanfly Engine plugins could do the thing but reading it on their own website it doesn't seem it could go much higher, max I read was 800x600.
Further more the games I was wanting to upscale are older or in RPGM VX,XP and such. One of those is Noxian Nights.
RPGM MV games that I've played are mostly already in higher resolution.
One question though on editing game script files, can I do them in some simple text editing software like VSCode or do I have to download the specific game engine to do it.

Edit: Also thanks for the quick informative reply I really didn't I would get any here since the thread is 3 years old.
You can go higher than 800x600 if I'm remembering correct, but you may need a special "RGSS301.dll" to allow it. It was years ago when I last tried so don't take my word as granted, my memory is hazy, but I remember experimenting 1080p with some VX games and performance was abysmal.

About editing, I only used the official RPGM software, so never tried third party softwares for editing. If the software can read the content of script files witthout any errors, editing should be possible too I guess.

Reactions: Gameil