VN - Others - Illusion of Being [v2023-09-13] [True Element Games]

1. 4.00 star(s)

Quetzzz

"Illusion of Being (Episode 1)" (IoB) is a story-first AVN that sets up the MC's world coming apart.
    Strong writing, combined with great visual storytelling, creates a believable world and a protagonist we can empathize with.

Choices matter, and have consequences. As an example, while this game has lewd scenes, I didn't see any in my first playthrough. This is fine, and exactly what I want to be possible in an AVN like this.

While this episode is short, it does a great job at setting up the different characters who'll play a role in the MC's recovery (or further decline). These characters have their own baggage and history, with hopes and dreams for the future. Some might be going through hard times themselves. It's up to the player to decide how to treat them.

Fitting music was chosen for each scene. It adds to the general atmosphere by not being intrusive in any way.

On paper, this makes for a perfect game. But, its game engine doesn't have the features that players of this genre are used to. Weird keyboard shortcuts, limited save games, inconsistent text skipping, no scroll-back... It makes the game a highly opinionated cinematic experience, which isn't for everyone.

Personally, I fell in love with this game when I noticed how certain words were specifically picked to make me think about what the characters were saying and doing. Words have meaning and connotations. Why is this person using that word? Why are they saying this, and what is their goal?
    An example: Could it be that the well-meaning friend has an alcohol problem herself? Is she encouraging the MC to drink because she needs a partner-in-crime? Or is it more nefarious, does she want him to slip up, to influence him to see things her way?
  2. 4.00 star(s)

BBG2297

If you can skip or speed up it will be great, but looks to be a good story. Renders look great and its nice to see a game where you not trying to bang you mom/sister/aunt/room mate.

Looking forward to seeing how this game develops. Hopefully it doesnt turn into junk or get discarded.
  3. 3.00 star(s)

MikesDK

Story seems ok but it is only a demo so cant say much yet untill it gets some real content.

MC finds out hes wife is cheating on him and goes to a bar where you can blow off some steam by fucking a random chick or just get drunk instend, thats about it for content in the demo so far.

Animations seems good, but cant skip anything or fast forward which gets a bit annoying, same goes for random boring animations like show house inside and such or credits.

Renders seems to be quite low quality being very grainy at times, atleast animations arent like that.

Music seems decent enough, nothing special but fits the game.

Why this is a bit more then 4 gis with a very short chapter 1 and barely no content i really dont know, it seems a bit weird and i would expect alot more from that size.

I will leave this at 3 stars since it can still go both ways and its very early but if this little content takes up 4 gb of space i wouldent dare to think how much the full game would be, not that i really care about how much space it will take up but some might.

I will check back on this once it has more content, just hope chapters will be alot longer then this first one even though it is only a demo right now.