VN If I want to create my first visual novel, what are the most popular and profitable themes?

fyl3toys

Dec 24, 2021
Hmmm....
My impulse is to say incest of course

But real answer would be to check out as many games on this site as possible -> From the game pages on this site visit every developers patreon/subscribestar and see how many subscriber they have -> Compile data and extrapolate your answer.

• Red Heart
Reactions: JesseBelmond

DoverUK25

Oct 16, 2021
Don't do this for money keep your day job. Because there is 1 of u every other day on here with a new vn or such games. not try to discourage you or anything. if you are only in it for the money you lose a lot more depending epically if your using Daz their assets will start racking up depending on what game you making

Malachite1789

Dec 25, 2019
My suggestion for a first VN is make it short and keep it as vanilla as possible. That way you get to work out all the parts (coding,writing, rendering) and get something out there. Also try to write about something you either know or can easily research. Then for the 2nd game start to think about what might make money. Trying to make money with your first attempt (to me) is asking a lot.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
I mean, it's tempting to be flippant, but I think the true answer is: "Provide something people want, but don't have".

That's easy. Doing it is hard.

It could be dancing close to the edge, to provide as close to 'taboo' content as you can get away with, while still being paid. There's certainly a market for that, and because those that dance across the line get smacked by Patreon/Paypal/Steam/(or even here, in the case of some rules), there's always a space for that content.

You could be creating furry content, or gay content, or furry gay content. Because not a lot of people do that, and the people who are really into that are REALLY into that.

You could be making romance sims about being epic and loved (like I do), because western media has decided that the old stories of being epic and loved aren't upsetting expectations enough, and now everything is supposed to be grey and miserable.

You could be making happy stories that make people people laugh, you can make ones that make them cry, you can make stories where the MC enjoys sexually torturing people, or one where the lewdest moment is handholding, and a stolen glance at a wet t-thirt. None of that defines success.

To be successful, I think, you need to create something you personally enjoy, and believe in, while being fresh and interesting for SOME people.

I can't tell you how to be successful (sorry). I CAN tell you how NOT to be successful. If you go look at the top 10 games, and make a game where you're a young man that moves in with his "family" in a new city where his bitch "big sister", naive "young sister", and prozac-abusing "mother" are all wanting to fuck you, you'll find that niche is already over-filled.

So go make a game that excites you, that fulfills some under-satisfied niche, and that'll make people happy.

Easy to say. Hard to do.

Good luck.

JesseBelmond

Apr 2, 2022
I mean, it's tempting to be flippant, but I think the true answer is: "Provide something people want, but don't have".

That's easy. Doing it is hard.

It could be dancing close to the edge, to provide as close to 'taboo' content as you can get away with, while still being paid. There's certainly a market for that, and because those that dance across the line get smacked by Patreon/Paypal/Steam/(or even here, in the case of some rules), there's always a space for that content.

You could be creating furry content, or gay content, or furry gay content. Because not a lot of people do that, and the people who are really into that are REALLY into that.

You could be making romance sims about being epic and loved (like I do), because western media has decided that the old stories of being epic and loved aren't upsetting expectations enough, and now everything is supposed to be grey and miserable.

You could be making happy stories that make people people laugh, you can make ones that make them cry, you can make stories where the MC enjoys sexually torturing people, or one where the lewdest moment is handholding, and a stolen glance at a wet t-thirt. None of that defines success.

To be successful, I think, you need to create something you personally enjoy, and believe in, while being fresh and interesting for SOME people.

I can't tell you how to be successful (sorry). I CAN tell you how NOT to be successful. If you go look at the top 10 games, and make a game where you're a young man that moves in with his "family" in a new city where his bitch "big sister", naive "young sister", and prozac-abusing "mother" are all wanting to fuck you, you'll find that niche is already over-filled.

So go make a game that excites you, that fulfills some under-satisfied niche, and that'll make people happy.

Easy to say. Hard to do.

Good luck.
Thank You!

Reactions: Droid Productions

Trash_Panda

Game Developer
Jan 9, 2019
Big dick Loli futanari harem of furry catgirls. Definately a 100% winning formula.

(This post is sarcasm, no dev has or would make this)
No dev didnt make it doesnt mean it doesnt have a fanbase of its own haha.

Afaik the most earning game on the site is summertime saga and its basically a harem&incest game which kinda answers OP's question.

A well made female protagonist game with nicely paced corruption would be at the 2nd place i think.

• Red Heart
Reactions: JesseBelmond

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Afaik the most earning game on the site is summertime saga and its basically a harem&incest game which kinda answers OP's question.
No, it's Wild Life. Adeptus Steve have twice less patrons, than DarkCookie, but earn US$ 50K more than him. And the three between them can perfectly also earn more than DarkCookie, hard to say since they hide their earning. Potentially even DrPinkCake (Being a DIK) can earn more.

So, the most successful game have futa, furry, monster, and also combat. Just missing the loli in fact.

Trash_Panda

Game Developer
Jan 9, 2019
No, it's Wild Life. Adeptus Steve have twice less patrons, than DarkCookie, but earn US$ 50K more than him. And the three between them can perfectly also earn more than DarkCookie, hard to say since they hide their earning. Potentially even DrPinkCake (Being a DIK) can earn more.

So, the most successful game have futa, furry, monster, and also combat. Just missing the loli in fact.
I didnt want to count adeptus steve since its a whole freaking team of developers instead of just one lul. I actually dont even know if summertime saga also has a team of devs but its just a simple vn, so no reason not to think of that way.

Meisla

Jan 17, 2022
I like to say that the most important goal you have when you make a game is to finish it.

Considering that things can become very headachy very quickly, especially when you are an inexperienced hobbyist it can be a struggle to finish a project! :confused:

So, to me it's crucial to have a project you like working on. You'll have better ideas because you'll be more thrilled, and finishing it will be easier.

You may consider this maxim for your first game, and aim for the profitable side for your next ones. :)

SpecialXSauce

Jun 6, 2018
A highschool boy with a landlady, and two roommates. One older and one younger.

Edit: Don't ask how it works when you have a younger roommate and yourself still in highschool. Everyone portayed is atleast 18. Obviously.

Bonus points if your dad/landlord is the villain instead of being dead. But he's probably just dead.

Last edited:

chairfull

Game Developer
Mar 14, 2022
You could also look at non gaming site Literotica for ideas.

Here are lists of the most and highest stories.

Here are the most favorited:

Looks like there is a common theme.

Harem Trooper

Oct 4, 2017
From what I saw with my own eyes its definitely Furry and Futa content.
The reason behind my opinnion is because they dont exist in the same quantity as the other bigger heavy hitter like Incests/Harem or NTR, but they are always in demand.

I remember watching a y-vid where a 2D western Artist got so frustrated to drawing non-stop Furry stuff because he didnt liked it but the people paid him very good money.
But in the end it depends where you want to release it. In Asia NTR is a easy maker. In the West its Harem and/or Incest.