Ideal DAZ3D render resolution

Deleted member 416612

The 'landlord'
Donor
Game Developer
Feb 2, 2018
Hi guys,

I stumbled yesterday on a post that, among others, was debating the ideal specs for 4k resolution. So, I found out that there is a method to render 4k and rescale to 10920x1080.
The problem is that I didn't know about this and I rendered for the demo around ~130 pictures at 1920x1080 and not rescaled to that size.
The question is, if there are other developers that have rendered at that resolution or if it will greatly impact the game?

Thank you in advance

W22N

Jan 5, 2018
a nice post from mrknobb about rendering for beginners. I don't know what you're worrying about though? Do you think honey select games use 4k and re-render? No, and they're still REALLY popular. Sisterly lust did a huge system update and the change is really noticeable in renders.
Also, if you run a 1080p render running for 5000 iterations, there's probably nothing you could do in 4k to make it look better when crunched down.
Use the renders you have and make some tests rendering in higher res to see if it's worth it or if you notice any difference, it's not as much about the quality of the image, but rather to get the same quality in less time.

Deleted member 416612

The 'landlord'
Donor
Game Developer
Feb 2, 2018
a nice post from mrknobb about rendering for beginners. I don't know what you're worrying about though? Do you think honey select games use 4k and re-render? No, and they're still REALLY popular. Sisterly lust did a huge system update and the change is really noticeable in renders.
Also, if you run a 1080p render running for 5000 iterations, there's probably nothing you could do in 4k to make it look better when crunched down.
Use the renders you have and make some tests rendering in higher res to see if it's worth it or if you notice any difference, it's not as much about the quality of the image, but rather to get the same quality in less time.
I am using only 5000 or 6000 iterations for scenes. I thought that it will be an underdog because of the resolution

W22N

Jan 5, 2018
I am using only 5000 or 6000 iterations for scenes. I thought that it will be an underdog because of the resolution
I've seen a lot of shit, and let me tell you, if you hit the right spots renders aren't that important. Just to mention someone I referenced before, MrKnobb's game is pretty solid, the renders look better than certain game that is caught in everyone's panties these days, but the support he gets doesn't reflect that. DMD has some of the worst renders I've seen in a popular game, and it's one of the biggest ones at the same time.
Ren'py takes 1080 as max res, however you get to the final images going into the game is up to you, but as you move forward you might want to pick up some photoshop to do some post work, even if just for a small amount of scenes.
Good luck with your game!

Deleted member 416612

The 'landlord'
Donor
Game Developer
Feb 2, 2018
I've seen a lot of shit, and let me tell you, if you hit the right spots renders aren't that important. Just to mention someone I referenced before, MrKnobb's game is pretty solid, the renders look better than certain game that is caught in everyone's panties these days, but the support he gets doesn't reflect that. DMD has some of the worst renders I've seen in a popular game, and it's one of the biggest ones at the same time.
Ren'py takes 1080 as max res, however you get to the final images going into the game is up to you, but as you move forward you might want to pick up some photoshop to do some post work, even if just for a small amount of scenes.
Good luck with your game!
Thank you mate, I owe you a beer

Reactions: W22N

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
ACTUALLY...

One reason I prefer rendering at 3840x2160 is post-work. Specifically when working with the clone tool, brushes, etc. to remove glitches and flaws. The higher pixel resolution helps if you are doing 'fine work' in this regard, with a smoother result after downsizing. And yeah, I've had a few renders (without post-work) where a trained eye could see the difference in roughness between the 1920x1080 and the downsized 3840x2160. This particularly comes into play when you do fewer iterations at higher resolution vs. more iterations at the lower one, especially in less than ideal lighting situations. It's subtle, but noticeable for those that look for such things.

But then, I'm not trying to generate lots of renders on any given day, so I can afford to be a bit indulgent with my render sizes.

THAT BEING SAID, 90%+ of people won't notice the difference between 'native' and 'downsized' renders, so it all comes down to if YOU are happy with it or not. Remember that people are mostly interested in the story, not how technically perfect each render is (although the renders should still be titillating). As mentioned above by other posters, a number of people go the Honey Select route, and their games are doing rather well. Some people actually prefer that style over 'realistic' Daz models, because it looks a bit more like 'storybook style'.

That's not to say the Daz doesn't have special shaders if you wanted to do 'cartoon/anime' style renders (these do exist), and some people do use these. My point is that, choose the resolution that you are happy with, that balances your render times/workload vs. the quality you want. Lower resolutions generally render faster, which is perfectly fine, especially if you plan on doing a LOT of renders.

There are a few games that use renders at lower than 1080p resolution (1280x720, etc.).

Finally, you can always go with the 'well, when I win the Patreon lottery, then I can afford that quad GPU system and do really nice renders, but in the meantime, yeah this'll be good enough for my story' strategy. I've seen several game designers do this, going back and reworking and even upsizing renders for past chapters after they were able to afford a major hardware upgrade.

Food for thought. Hope it helps!

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
Both their answers are spot on.. One you want to save time and yes higher res render means post work becomes easier. BUT higher mens higher render time...
Also using DAZ 4.11 helps with this so much BUT not the latest beta 4.11 version. IT's horrible in so many departments. SO wait for the Public Build of 4.11 as it will help speed up renders.

Deleted member 416612

The 'landlord'
Donor
Game Developer
Feb 2, 2018
Both their answers are spot on.. One you want to save time and yes higher res render means post work becomes easier. BUT higher mens higher render time...
Also using DAZ 4.11 helps with this so much BUT not the latest beta 4.11 version. IT's horrible in so many departments. SO wait for the Public Build of 4.11 as it will help speed up renders.
Thank you :)

Jun 29, 2018
Remember that people are mostly interested in the story, not how technically perfect each render is (although the renders should still be titillating).
I can't agree with this enough. Let's face it, there's a reason good old books are still a thing, right. Many hudreds of pages to read and only one pictures on the cover. Interesting story is far more engaging than fancy images but if you can have both then it's even better.