VN Ren'Py "I want to make a Renpy VN but i am a noob"

Dawnshoxx

Sep 11, 2017
Heya Perverts!

I have played many many VN's and many aaand many of other games and i just came to the idea that i can make a Renpy VN myself.

I am completely new to Renpy and want to make a VN - my prefer game is a "Interactive VN" with interactive Map and Locations, Choices etc.

Do you think i've better start a VN without Choices and the Interactive thing so it's a normal "Left Mouse Clicking" game (which i think is boring for me)?
Or do you recommend me starting with a "Choices" - "Left mouse clicking" game or start with the extreme difficulty Interactive game?

Next thing is the Renpy coding thing..
i dont know coding - buuut im very inspired to make a VN! - lol
Is there a good Tutorial for a Renpy VN out there - especially for the Adult Renpy VN's for example which i can find on F95zone?

I know it looks like i can't make it but give me a good bunch of informations and tutorials and i think i can make a good piece of a VN!

Sry for my english please don't throw a stone on me :p

Soooo.. what do you think guys?

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Do you think i've better start a VN without Choices and the Interactive thing so it's a normal "Left Mouse Clicking" game (which i think is boring for me)?
Or do you recommend me starting with a "Choices" - "Left mouse clicking" game or start with the extreme difficulty Interactive game?
It's your choice. We aren't making the game or writing the story. We aren't the ones rendering it or making it. You have a vision, and only you can really see your vision. If you find regular VNs boring, then why bring it up? For your first visual novel, it's always recommended getting your feet wet with a regular 'boring' VN. Start rendering, learn lighting, start coding (as simple as it is with these types of VNs, there's still some stuff to learn. Specifically imagebuttons/textbuttons, variables, etc.), put something short together. It doesn't have to be new or unique, just a story visualized. This will allow some critiques to come through, let you know what you need to work on. Take those lessons learned apply it to a new project. Maybe that's another short 'boring' VN or maybe that's a full-on life sim sandbox.

Next thing is the Renpy coding thing..
i dont know coding - buuut im very inspired to make a VN! - lol
Is there a good Tutorial for a Renpy VN out there - especially for the Adult Renpy VN's for example which i can find on F95zone?
Inspiration isn't going to take you very far when it comes to coding. It's probably the second most boring part of a VN, and with an 'interactive' (the technical term for games like this usually being sandboxes.) VN there's a fair bit more coding going on behind the scenes compared to your average Daz/Renpy VN. The link MoonPillow gave is a good place to start, would also recommend looking into Thundorn Games/Game Developer Training and Elaine's videos. Both have some fantastic beginner stuff. But the reality is that you're going to Ren'py blind without any coding experience looking to make a sandbox. That's not to say you can't do it, but you'll need to spend a fair chunk of your time learning how to code before you can even start writing.

That's on top of learning Daz itself, and while its easier than most 3D programs, it'll still take some time to learn. Assuming you're working with Daz, that is. If you are, IT-Roy and Thundorn/GDT are worth checking ouit, as are Dreamlight's and Jay/TheWPGuru's stuff. Seeing whether your computer specs might be a limitation might be another issue, as well.

At the end of the day, you've just got to decide for yourself what you want to do and how you want to approach it. This stuff isn't easy, and you really shouldn't go into it thinking you're gonna bank some easy money. None of this is meant to dissuade you from doing this, but just making you aware of it. There's a reason there's an ocean of abandoned games/VNs out there around a puddle of completed ones.

Mr_Ainz

Oct 26, 2017
This doesn't work for everyone but you could use unren to look at the code of some games you like/think are good and then learn from then (for programming only)