RPGM I am making my first rpg game and I want advice on how should i start

Ramenlord2001

Jul 14, 2021
Ok so I am new to all this on ho to make a game I have used rpg maker but very little I don't know how to actually make a functional game with it yet and obviously its a hentai game I have for sure guaranteed feature gonna have pregnancy and birth in it and multiple pregnancy so i.e. twins, triplets etc. and the basic system would have be like mc is a no body you then meet some who teaches you have to use a sword leading to your first skill tree the sword man or sword women tree it has an active tree and a passive tree and and there other class trees but you have to look for the people to learn them and for magic system probably gonna use a mana point system for example ignite uses 2 mana points and it does 2 damage but causes burn which does 10 damage for 5 turns basically it encourages you to go all in on one tree and to also branch out a little into the other tree so you wont be a one trick pony cause I will be making enemies that super tanky against magic and there be some physically tank etc. please give advice I want this game to be quality over being pretty cause there a few game which look good but is shit gameplay wise

clowns234

Engaged Member
Game Developer
May 2, 2021
Ok so I am new to all this on ho to make a game I have used rpg maker but very little I don't know how to actually make a functional game with it yet and obviously its a hentai game I have for sure guaranteed feature gonna have pregnancy and birth in it and multiple pregnancy so i.e. twins, triplets etc. and the basic system would have be like mc is a no body you then meet some who teaches you have to use a sword leading to your first skill tree the sword man or sword women tree it has an active tree and a passive tree and and there other class trees but you have to look for the people to learn them and for magic system probably gonna use a mana point system for example ignite uses 2 mana points and it does 2 damage but causes burn which does 10 damage for 5 turns basically it encourages you to go all in on one tree and to also branch out a little into the other tree so you wont be a one trick pony cause I will be making enemies that super tanky against magic and there be some physically tank etc. please give advice I want this game to be quality over being pretty cause there a few game which look good but is shit gameplay wise
I chose renpy because it was simple to use. If I was doing a game with mechanics like you describe, and I had to learn a new game engine from scratch, I think I would probably go with unreal.

Just my opinion. Someone who hasn't developed a game in either rpgm or unreal.

Reactions: Ramenlord2001

Thomas Ward

Game Developer
Oct 13, 2019
The most important thing is to get started. Make the first map, place the first characters on it. What you're talking about is partly in the maker, and partly will have to be improved by plugins. If you are not very good at programming, you can order a plugin from the appropriate engineers.

RPG Maker has a huge community and an official forum where you can find answers to many questions.

Velzies

Gone Away Forever
Game Developer
Oct 27, 2022
I think it would be best to first make a "test" project in RPGM and see what it can do and can't do. After that, you can scope out your project based on what you've learned.

As for the basics, you can start with eventing.
You can do most of the eventing in RPGM using switches and variables. You can think of switches as flags.
If switch 1 is on, then do this -> []
Else (switch 1 is off), then do this -> []

You can control the flow via conditionals.
1690045762488.png

Like what Thomas Ward said above, some of the things you are descibing does not inherently exist in RPGM, like the idea of branching skill trees. In theory, you could do this by implementing by manually adding skills via events, but that can get messy real quick. Some kind of plugin can do this better.

Last edited:

Man don't hop

Game Developer
Nov 25, 2022
I would say find a game you like or that has the systems you want in your own game and start dissecting it to see how they achieved it. Don't straight up steal anything but see how they were able to do these things and learn that way. If you ever need help just hit me up on here and I'll make time to try and help. I use RPG maker xp, So my experience is a little bit different. But I know the basics of eventing.

Oct 8, 2019
I chose renpy because it was simple to use. If I was doing a game with mechanics like you describe, and I had to learn a new game engine from scratch, I think I would probably go with unreal.

Just my opinion. Someone who hasn't developed a game in either rpgm or unreal.
As someone who has experience in both, Unreal is far more complex than RPGM in terms of your learning curve. RPGM is very easy to pick up if you have no idea what you are doing, and you can always just jam a plugin in your game if you want a specific function that the engine does not offer

Like what Thomas Ward said above, some of the things you are descibing does not inherently exist in RPGM, like the idea of branching skill trees.
You can actually make a branching skill tree in RPGM without any plugins, you just won't be able to visualize it. You can very easily use conditional branches to make a skill trainer that offers upgrades to your skills depending on what upgrades you have taken previously, though this will be limited to using text and choices

Don't straight up steal anything but see how they were able to do these things and learn that way.
True developers steal all of their code, that's how Mafia Works

Jokes aside, opening up RPGM games into the engine and checking how people have achieved a certain result is a good way of learning new tricks