• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Tutorial Ren'Py How to patch a Renpy Game

Haley Smith

Jan 16, 2018
I'm tired of being asked how to patch games and many others are as well. So instead of wasting your breath just post this link and let them figure it out.

Here are the 3 ways to patch a renpy game for noobs, meh, and pros

Noob:This is made for people who have never patched a game in their life. You don't need coding skills and you don't need common sense.
Step 1 have a renpy game. All ren'py games have the same basic layout.
Step 2 get UnrenHaleyMod
Step 3 put Uren.bat in the main folder of the game. (not the game folder, the folder that holds the game folder)
Step 4 run Unren.bat ,
Step 5 paste the patch in the game folder (the one that says game) overwriting any other files. Make sure that the patch is extracted and out of its folder.
Step 6 your done.

Meh:This is made for people with some coding skill and common sense.
Step 1 get unren and a text editor also optional 7zip (I prefer atom but notepad++ works as well) https://f95zone.to/threads/unren-ba...compiler-console-developer-menu-enabler.3083/
Step 2 get error and read where the error occurred.
Step 3 Uren the game.
Step 4 open the file that had the error and go to line with the error
Step 5 read the code find and fix the problem
Step 6 run the game and make sure the error is gone
Step 7 repeat step 5 and 6 until the error is gone
Step 8 copy the file that you adjusted to your desktop
Step 9 compress the file to a .zip
Step 10 post it so others can use it.

Pro:This is for those who are wondering why they need this
Step 1 get renpy game maker
Step 2 unren the game
Step 3 import the game into renpy maker
Step 4 write your own scenes and code
Step 5 test for bugs
Step 6 recomperess
Step 7 copy out your scenes and compress them
Step 8 post them as a patch/mod

Last edited:

Spaceghost88

Jan 4, 2020
I'm tired of being asked how to patch games and many others are as well. So instead of wasting your breath just post this link and let them figure it out.

Here are the 3 ways to patch a renpy game for noobs, meh, and pros

Noob:This is made for people who have never patched a game in their life. You don't need coding skills and you don't need common sense.
Step 1 have a renpy game. All ren'py games have the same basic layout.
Step 2 get UnrenHaleyMod
Step 3 put Uren.bat in the main folder of the game. (not the game folder, the folder that holds the game folder)
Step 4 run Unren.bat , click press number 1 and enter
Step 5 paste the patch in the game folder (the one that says game) overwriting any other files. Make sure that the patch is extracted and out of its folder.
Step 6 your done.

Meh:This is made for people with some coding skill and common sense.
Step 1 get unren and a text editor also optional 7zip (I prefer atom but notepad++ works as well) https://f95zone.to/threads/unren-ba...compiler-console-developer-menu-enabler.3083/
Step 2 get error and read where the error occurred.
Step 3 Uren the game.
Step 4 open the file that had the error and go to line with the error
Step 5 read the code find and fix the problem
Step 6 run the game and make sure the error is gone
Step 7 repeat step 5 and 6 until the error is gone
Step 8 copy the file that you adjusted to your desktop
Step 9 compress the file to a .zip
Step 10 post it so others can use it.

Pro:This is for those who are wondering why they need this
Step 1 get renpy game maker
Step 2 unren the game
Step 3 import the game into renpy maker
Step 4 write your own scenes and code
Step 5 test for bugs
Step 6 recomperess
Step 7 copy out your scenes and compress them
Step 8 post them as a patch/mod
Hey thanks for this. But how do I use it for andriod? Thanks again.

Haley Smith

Jan 16, 2018
If your asking how to patch an Android game I recommend one use a pc to modify the file then move it back or 2 Idk. Do to the requirement of needing to extract the files I don't believe that there currently exists a way to patch an android without a computer.

Reactions: Spaceghost88

Spaceghost88

Jan 4, 2020
If your asking how to patch an Android game I recommend one use a pc to modify the file then move it back or 2 Idk. Do to the requirement of needing to extract the files I don't believe that there currently exists a way to patch an android without a computer.
Thanks.

greggjennings

Jun 19, 2020
ok I'm still lost. where do i get the game file to begin with? I've been using an online ren'py but want to play a game from here? i downloaded the file, used 7 zip to extract, but where do i get the ren'py game folder to begin with?

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
i downloaded the file, used 7 zip to extract, but where do i get the ren'py game folder to begin with?
I'm not sure to understand the question, the game folder is where you extracted it.

Then inside it you'll find three sub-folders. Two, named "lib" and "renpy", that are for the engine, and the one for the game itself is explicitly named "game".

Reactions: Haley Smith

greggjennings

Jun 19, 2020
1 i downloaded the wrong file. 2 mega failed to download the proper file it stopped at1% this is due to my hardware being very out of date WIN 7. so I never had the "game" file to begin with. ........ I am getting a new laptop very soon. Thank you for the tips, however condescending. I'm an old man and just recently discovered these games. thank you everyone who took time to help.

Haley Smith

Jan 16, 2018
1 i downloaded the wrong file. 2 mega failed to download the proper file it stopped at1% this is due to my hardware being very out of date WIN 7. so I never had the "game" file to begin with. ........ I am getting a new laptop very soon. Thank you for the tips, however condescending. I'm an old man and just recently discovered these games. thank you everyone who took time to help.
I didn't mean to be offensive just concise. I want this to make sense to anyone who searches this topic in the easiest way possible.

Reactions: Cendash

badasst82

Apr 30, 2018
Hi how can i make a password list if there is a chace for it?
i whanted to do like this if it´s possible:

like:

scene black with dissolve:
pause
$ password = renpy.input("What is the password")

if password == "666":
"Extra Mode"
define mom = Character ("mom")
define dad = Character ("dad")
define fam = Character ("Family")
define sis = Character ("sister")
define sas = Character ("uncel Sam", color="#0000ff")

else:
"Normal Mode"
define mom = Character ("Landlady")
define dad = Character ("Landlord")
define fam = Character ("Community")
define sis = Character ("friend")
define sas = Character ("Sam", color="#0000ff")

he aske me the password but still loads the "Normal Mode"

zetsupetsu

Dec 22, 2019
I appreciate that this is helpful but the condescending tone in the intro is just offputting.

y0rthan

Apr 4, 2021
So, if a game has an archive.rpa file, and we extract the script files, uncompile them, and edit them, how does one go about making a "patch" file? I'm assuming it wouldn't be the entire archive file, since that is huge and the changes are usually small. Will the game look for a patch file and override whatever is in the archive by default?

DearLegend37

Game Compressor
Dec 20, 2019
So, if a game has an archive.rpa file, and we extract the script files, uncompile them, and edit them, how does one go about making a "patch" file? I'm assuming it wouldn't be the entire archive file, since that is huge and the changes are usually small. Will the game look for a patch file and override whatever is in the archive by default?
Whatever is in the ''game'' folder will override what's on the .rpa files.

I don't know what developers and coders use to make patches but me and other compressors use , here's a video tutorial done by Techstar
Since the CDC is being under use, I will post it here
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Do post it here if you got any question.

Last edited:
Reactions: y0rthan

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
I don't know what developers and coders use to make patches but me and other compressors use , here's a video tutorial done by Techstar
And for what reason exactly do a compressor need to patch the game ? Ren'py do not care about the files extension. Just keeping the images and video with their original extension, while they are now compressed and in another format, is all you are to do for the task you are expected to have.
And obviously there's also the fact that it's not how one is supposed to patch a Ren'py game.

There's already some of you who broke the save compatibility by using another version of Ren'py than the one of the official release, and now you're telling that some of you are also altering the code of the game without reason ? What the fuck happened to the respect of the games and their authors on this forum exactly ?

DearLegend37

Game Compressor
Dec 20, 2019
And for what reason exactly do a compressor need to patch the game ?
Me and other compressors make patchs for the community when developers refuse to do it, and we ask nothing in return.
Most developers don't make update patchs for their games, and guess what - some people rather download a patch of 200MB than the entire game that weights 3GB every time it updates! Surprising right?

Believe it or not, there are also people with limited data, and they can't go downloading 3GB of a new version of the game simply because the dev did a couple of bugfixes without releasing a patch.

I will give you an example, for the game Family Venture (which the dev had released a bugfix for it), but the bugfix patch only was locked behind patreon paywall, and only the full game was leaked on F95. So if people were to download from this site and not from patreon they had to download the ENTIRE game (3.29GB) just to have the bugfixes.

You may not care about it (and honestly from your post I don't expect you to), but I know what I do helps people, even if it it's not by much.
There's already some of you who broke the save compatibility by using another version of Ren'py than the one of the official release
I myself have done this in one of my first compressions - the game breaked and I asked for help from other compressors and they teached me how to do it, and thats how I learned. Do you think me or other compressors like when we fuck up and the game breaks? We try to fix it as quick as we can and we make sure to tell people that every compression is unnoficial and can break things.

At the end of the day we do this for free, we are humans and we all make mistakes.
and now you're telling that some of you are also altering the code of the game without reason ? What the fuck happened to the respect of the games and their authors on this forum exactly ?
If what I need to do to have the respect of people like you is stop doing what I enjoy (and the way I found to help users on this forum), than I'd rather not have it.

Peace.

Last edited:

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
If what I need to do to have the respect of people like you is stop doing what I enjoy (and the way I found to help users on this forum), than I'd rather not have it.
It's not about you, it's about the respect due to the game and its players. And what you need to do for this, is to make your changes transparent, nothing more.
You could also learn how to patch a Ren'py game, but it's another question.

As for the rest of your diatribe, there's really nothing to say. Would have you took few seconds to looks at my badges and signature, that you would have seen how wrong you are. But you're clearly too full of yourself for this.