Tutorial Unity How to modify/cheat unity variables inside the game?

4.00 star(s) 1 Vote

content_eater

Mar 18, 2017
Notice on May 18, 2021: Going to update this so that it's a one click installation, in about a week or so, somehow. (Forgot about this and I forgot how to do this)
Steps
  1. Find out if the game is 64bit or 32bit and find out what version of unity the game uses.
    • You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
    • You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
  2. Download (x64 version for 64bit game and x86 for 32bit games).
  3. Download that matches the version of BepInEx (current is version 5).
  4. Drag the contents inside the BepInEx archive into the game folder (the place where the .exe is located).
  5. Run the game once and close the game.
    1. If no new files were created then that may mean that you are using the wrong verison (x64 vs x86/32bit)
    2. If the game crashes when it runs then you need to do the following.
      1. Go to gameInstalledLocation/BepInEx/config and right click the BepInEx.cfg file -> open with -> notepad. Scroll down and look for a line with "[Preloader.Entrypoint]". Next you need to recall the version of unity the game uses.
      2. if you are on unity 2017 or newer then change the line "Assembly = UnityEngine.dll" to "Assembly = UnityEngine.CoreModule.dll" and "Type = Application" to "Type = MonoBehaviour".
      3. if you are on unity 5 or lower then change the line and "Type = Application" to "Type = MonoBehaviour".
        • alternate if that does not work is to set the type to "Type = Camera".
  6. Drag the BepInEx folder in Unity Runtime Editor archive into the game root folder (where the exe is located).
  7. Run the game and once loaded press f12 (you can change the key to open this in the BepInEx/config/RuntimeUnityEditor.cfg, this will be created after you have opened it once)
If you are having trouble getting this to run with these instructions then I recommend you to read the README files.
For BepInEx:
For BepInEx Troubleshooting:
For Runtime Unity Editor: (scroll down to the readme section and look for 'how to use'
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

What are these files and what do they do?
BepInEx is a like forge for minecraft. It's a something that makes it so you can install mods into the unity game that normally does not support mods.
Runtime Unity Editor is a mod that requires BepInEx. This is the thing that allows you to edit the variables inside the game.
Recommended Usage
I think the best way is to use dnspy to understand the game a bit (maybe what class the money value or player data is stored in). Otherwise you can yolo it too and try to guess instead.

So far I know 3 ways to use this.

Help Section

Last edited:

konabwo

Engaged Member
Sep 19, 2020
rocketscience for me.

If no new files were created then that may mean that you are using the wrong verison (x64 vs x86/32bit)-

hm im trying glamour2016 unity game... in main folder (with game.exe) there is glamour_data folder which got new files i assume as time stamp git changed and some log file appeared. is that correct.

Drag the BepInEx file in Unity Runtime Editor
i have no such file... i have the folder called 'BepInEx' ...

1620228855598.png
and files ^

confusing that link ...nothing there have that single file 'BepInEx'.
maybe i downloaded it wrong...there is some folder source code with bepinex-master folder ...should i drag the whole folder
that 'bepinex-master' folder has '.config' folder
(you can change the key to open this in the BepInEx/config/RuntimeUnityEditor.cfg,

ah dam that master thing is the same i downloaded from the first link
so confusing
anyways, no bepinex file ...i checked all those three folders....
1620231102760.png

Last edited:

content_eater

Mar 18, 2017
But does it also work to unlock the gallery?
Yes it does but a better tool for this would be Working With Unity Games [DNSpy].
You have to look through the code and find the part where it shows you the gallery. Edit the method that has it so it shows all the images regardless if you have them or not. (It has to be a unity game or c# game tho)

You can do it with this but you need to already look through the code and know what you are looking for.
The use case for this is mostly when there is something that you want to change frequently, you can do it with cheat engine but unless you create pointers and stuff it will go away the next time you run the game.
If it's something infrequent like showing all the images in a gallery which is a one time thing it's better to just change the source code.

Hypothetical Example
Original code
if (gallaryUnlocked == true){
// shows the images
}
Changed code
if (true){
// shows the images
}

content_eater

Mar 18, 2017
rocketscience for me.

If no new files were created then that may mean that you are using the wrong verison (x64 vs x86/32bit)-

hm im trying glamour2016 unity game... in main folder (with game.exe) there is glamour_data folder which got new files i assume as time stamp git changed and some log file appeared. is that correct.

Drag the BepInEx file in Unity Runtime Editor
i have no such file... i have the folder called 'BepInEx' ...

View attachment 1179872
and files ^

confusing that link ...nothing there have that single file 'BepInEx'.
maybe i downloaded it wrong...there is some folder source code with bepinex-master folder ...should i drag the whole folder
that 'bepinex-master' folder has '.config' folder
(you can change the key to open this in the BepInEx/config/RuntimeUnityEditor.cfg,

ah dam that master thing is the same i downloaded from the first link
so confusing
anyways, no bepinex file ...i checked all those three folders....
View attachment 1179944
Ya... sorry this guide is a mess, I'll update this guide when I have time (maybe in a week).
I'll probably make it a single file that you have to download that will install all the things conditionally without the user having to deal with any complicated stuff.

As for the single file called bepinex that was my bad. That's a folder.

1621393435269.png
When you download one of these files, it will have a folder inside them which is called bepinex.
1621393070613.png

But if you can probably wait till I update this guide, it should be able to do everything automatically.

Last edited:

konabwo

Engaged Member
Sep 19, 2020
...though i started other game. same name, same engine
hopefully doesnot feel like i need cheating rn but some cash would not hurt ...
i have an awesome idea...can u create some unity tweaking app where a user can upload start.exe file and get all the variables :cool:

Linkze

May 17, 2018
I have never used this type of program xD only cheat engine but I have seen it in several games already integrated as a mod

rararara

Jun 5, 2017
Notice on May 18, 2021: Going to update this so that it's a one click installation, in about a week or so, somehow.
Steps
  1. Find out if the game is 64bit or 32bit and find out what version of unity the game uses.
  4. Drag the contents inside the BepInEx archive into the game folder (the place where the .exe is located).
    1. If no new files were created then that may mean that you are using the wrong verison (x64 vs x86/32bit)
      1. Go to gameInstalledLocation/BepInEx/config and right click the BepInEx.cfg file -> open with -> notepad. Scroll down and look for a line with "[Preloader.Entrypoint]". Next you need to recall the version of unity the game uses.
      2. if you are on unity 2017 or newer then change the line "Assembly = UnityEngine.dll" to "Assembly = UnityEngine.CoreModule.dll" and "Type = Application" to "Type = MonoBehaviour".
      3. if you are on unity 5 or lower then change the line and "Type = Application" to "Type = MonoBehaviour".
  6. Drag the BepInEx folder in Unity Runtime Editor archive into the game root folder (where the exe is located).
  7. Run the game and once loaded press f12 (you can change the key to open this in the BepInEx/config/RuntimeUnityEditor.cfg, this will be created after you have opened it once)
If you are having trouble getting this to run with these instructions then I recommend you to read the README files.
For BepInEx:
For Runtime Unity Editor: (scroll down to the readme section and look for 'how to use'

[/SPOILER]
has been update ? can't find "BepInEx.cfg" file

allanl9020142

Aug 23, 2018
Would this help with fixing a bug with a Unity game that the dev of said game hasn't fixed yet?

For example:
Character A is supposed to show up in location B between the hours of 2PM to 5PM from Monday to Wednesday.
However, Character A doesn't show up at all within those specified time frames.

Tried taking a look at the game using DnSpy but I didn't make the game so I have no idea where to look for all those variables to come together.
I can find the specific tokens just fine but I can't find where they're being used and how.

Henry1887

Aug 2, 2020
I would recommend yall to use UnityExplorer Plugin instead of RuntimeUnityEditor, because it gets more updates, has more functions, works for IL2CPP Games and works on BepInEx 6.
You can use my BepInEx Installer to automatically and correctly install UnityExplorer and BepInEx.

microskills

Apr 30, 2018
I would recommend yall to use UnityExplorer Plugin instead of RuntimeUnityEditor, because it gets more updates, has more functions, works for IL2CPP Games and works on BepInEx 6.
You can use my BepInEx Installer to automatically and correctly install UnityExplorer and BepInEx.
Original UnityExplorer has been put into read only.

sakuzuda

Nov 24, 2021
idk man, im trying both (X64 and X32) but after starting the game and closeing it, the file did'nt appear
(game : My Dystopian Robot Girlfriend)

• Sad
Reactions: rKnight

jinjin12334

Jan 26, 2023
Notice on May 18, 2021: Going to update this so that it's a one click installation, in about a week or so, somehow.
Steps
For BepInEx:

What are these files and what do they do?
BepInEx is a like forge for minecraft. It's a something that makes it so you can install mods into the unity game that normally does not support mods.
Runtime Unity Editor is a mod that requires BepInEx. This is the thing that allows you to edit the variables inside the game.
Recommended Usage
I think the best way is to use dnspy to understand the game a bit (maybe what class the money value or player data is stored in). Otherwise you can yolo it too and try to guess instead.

So far I know 3 ways to use this.

Help Section
Bepinex wont make new even though i use the correct game bit

zerosix06

Nov 4, 2023
How apk bro? I want to edit variable inside the apk game im playing using its own file like .es3

PorkiDrifter

Aug 20, 2021
Yea i dont know 2021 file version tried the x86 x69 All the runtimes and yet nothing!
There was a way to do it from your registry but i dont know how....

Bo777

Feb 24, 2018
I'm having an issue where I got it to start and all but when I press f12 the tab is mostly off the page and I cant grab the Unity Runtime Editor to move it into a space I can see. I've gone through the trouble shooting I can find but nothing talks about this. It's just locked way to low on the page to see anything but the top little bit bandicam 2024-03-09 09-46-08-367.jpg

4.00 star(s) 1 Vote