How to make a game like Corruption of Champions?

Emperor_Arcturus

Jul 18, 2017
Hey all,

I'm curious how to create a text based game like Corruption of Champions? Like what program they used and such? Any tutorials on how to do it as well? I wanna try my hands at making one for fun, mainly just to see if I can. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Reactions: ThanosSmkwed

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
What you do is you find a group of people who know how to write decent characters and scenes. You come up with a plot and put it together a bit at a time.

Before you have chance to finish it and have a few unfinished plot lines and a rushed ending that barely makes any sense, abandon it and start on a space game until that gets a good chunk of content then start Corruption of Champions 2.

While all that is going on you can sit back and watch some fans finish off the work you didn't on the first game.

Mar 14, 2018
CoC II is HTML/Typescript. You can find early prototype code for it at

TiTS is Flash/Actionscript. You can find code at

Their engines and UI are both essentially custom-made for the game, which you'd have to start modifying to suit your own game; they're not a cooky-cutter part you can just start plugging stuff into.

Emperor_Arcturus

Jul 18, 2017
CoC and TiTs are flash, I don't recommend going that route, instead try looking into Twine and Ren'Py.

If you mean the tf mechanics, it's just smart use of variables and mad organization skills.
I thought about doing it in Ren'Py, but my biggest problem with it is that it's a VN. I would love to try making a VN, but I don't have the skill or money to either make or commission artwork for it, and I'm not really comfortable with borrowing art from artists, even with their permission. My big thing right now is I mainly want to just test and increase my coding skills, limited they may be, and also see if I COULD do it, then work my way from there.

redknight00

I want to break free
Staff member
Modder
Apr 30, 2017
I thought about doing it in Ren'Py, but my biggest problem with it is that it's a VN. I would love to try making a VN, but I don't have the skill or money to either make or commission artwork for it, and I'm not really comfortable with borrowing art from artists, even with their permission. My big thing right now is I mainly want to just test and increase my coding skills, limited they may be, and also see if I COULD do it, then work my way from there.
It might be overkill depending on how complex you want the game, but it would get the job done. Though since that nice person posted source codes above, looking into it might be a better start.

Reactions: Emperor_Arcturus

Emperor_Arcturus

Jul 18, 2017
It might be overkill depending on how complex you want the game, but it would get the job done. Though since that nice person posted source codes above, looking into it might be a better start.
Yeah, that's what I plan to do. Take a look at that code, see how it works for their game, then work off of that to test and see how I can change it into something I like.

Lusc

Sep 6, 2018
What you do is you find a group of people who know how to write decent characters and scenes. You come up with a plot and put it together a bit at a time.

Before you have chance to finish it and have a few unfinished plot lines and a rushed ending that barely makes any sense, abandon it and start on a space game until that gets a good chunk of content then start Corruption of Champions 2.

While all that is going on you can sit back and watch some fans finish off the work you didn't on the first game.
To me this reads a little harsh and salty. Though, I'd still say it's 100% true.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
To me this reads a little harsh and salty. Though, I'd still say it's 100% true.
Of course it's harsh and salty, I loved CoC but a lot of major story lines were left unfinished with a couple of camp characters added that barely got any content and served no purpose after meeting them. Fortunately fans finished off most of them so it's not too bad.

They dropped this and moved straight over to TiTS and now that's been out a while and CoC2 has started, how long until TiTS gets the CoC treatment and we're left with unfinished content?

Emperor_Arcturus

Jul 18, 2017
Of course it's harsh and salty, I loved CoC but a lot of major story lines were left unfinished with a couple of camp characters added that barely got any content and served no purpose after meeting them. Fortunately fans finished off most of them so it's not too bad.

They dropped this and moved straight over to TiTS and now that's been out a while and CoC2 has started, how long until TiTS gets the CoC treatment and we're left with unfinished content?
To be fair, I thought CoC2 was being produced by a different team other than Fenoxo, or rather someone who was a part of CoC originally, but moved on to form their own team to make CoC2? Haven't been paying attention to it lately though so I'll admit.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
To be fair, I thought CoC2 was being produced by a different team other than Fenoxo, or rather someone who was a part of CoC originally, but moved on to form their own team to make CoC2? Haven't been paying attention to it lately though so I'll admit.
CoC2 has been started by Savin who does a lot of writing and created a lot of characters for CoC and TiTS.

Reactions: Emperor_Arcturus

Lusc

Sep 6, 2018
Yeah. Wish them the best. It is worrisome when you have a project so readily dropped on it's head for something else. You're always left wondering if it's a one time thing or a flaw of character.

Mar 14, 2018
TiTs was half made because CoC's code-base was becoming a nightmare to work on, because it had been organically grown for years by a guy who started off barely knowing how to code, and having no formal training in organising code (of what little there is to be taught in CompSci). And secondly for a new change of scenery, fresh start, and clean break allowing easy addition of new mechanics. IMHO CoC had become fairly complete (especially by adult-internet-game standards) by the time people wound down contributing to it.

Fenoxo is still mostly working on TiTs, his long time friend-writer Savin is now the head contributer for CoC II. Except both of them now have far more experience in designing descriptive games and also have the help of others with more extensive knowledge in code crafting, so the code bases have started off way cleaner.

If you want to make a new text-based adventure game, I would suggest looking at Twine and trying to research what code structures others have used to organise their game, and taking good ideas when they make sense to you. There are a noticeable proportion of games for which you can find the source code for if you look hard enough, sometimes the authors don't care heaps about keeping all the code under wraps because most plebs wouldn't know what to do with it in the first place.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Please check the date of the thread you are replying to - this one is more than 5 years old. Necromancy is bad, man.

And there is no "just" in making games. If you had ever tried doing it yourself, you would not answer that way. It is an enormous amount of learning and grinding out work. That is, unless you are just gonna abandon after 0.1 (or never get that far).

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Necromancy is bad, man.
Due to where we are, I guess it's more necrophilia, and it's worse.

And there is no "just" in making games. If you had ever tried doing it yourself, you would not answer that way. It is an enormous amount of learning and grinding out work.
Well, you just need to :
  • know how to code ;
  • know the right algorithms ;
  • know how to write a story ;
  • know how to pace a story ;
  • know how to build characters with an unique personality ;
  • know how to write natural dialogs ;
  • know how to keep track of the past events ;
  • know how to keep track of the different routes ;
  • know how to keep track of what is known or not at this moment in the story ;
  • know how to insert interesting game mechanism ;
  • know how to design interesting sex scenes ;
  • know how to design an User Interface ;
  • know how to have good and lifely CGs (do not apply here) ;
  • know how to plan your development process ;
  • know how to organize yourself ;
  • know how to works for 24 hours a day in top of your daily job and personal life.

A piece of cake...

• Haha
Reactions: osanaiko