Unreal Engine how to import DAZ3d undress animation in unreal engine

germa59

Nov 3, 2021
how to import DAZ3d undress animation in unreal engine

I am new to 3d development and learning both daz3d and unreal engine

In a game I am trying to develop I want to add undress animation

there are few tutorials on youtube like

How can we add these animations to unreal and more importantly does unreal support importing both the clothing and the dforce clothing and hair simulation in unreal

TheExordick

Sep 25, 2021
OK, one step at a time. What you want to achieve is not the easiest thing to do.

So to import animations into UE, when you use the Daz2Unreal Bridge there is a flag to "Show FBX dialogue" and when you click OK it opens the dialogue window for FBX. There, there is the flag for export animations.

This will export the animation for the character but also for the clothing if it was properly selected.

dforce clothing and hair simulations will not be exported (as far as i know) becuase they are essentially morphs baked on the fly. So if you have the animation of a character undressing and the clorhing "follows" the undressing movement (i think this is your goal but correct me if i'm wrong) this kind of animated simulation will not be exported in unreal engine.
Your best bet would be to look out for "alembic export" from DAZ to Unreal IF Daz can actually export alembic cache.

germa59

Nov 3, 2021
thanks for the reply, yes you are correct , i want the animation of the character and the clothing should follow, the other thing that can cause some issue is the cloth physics, most games dont have this kind of animation, it will be interesting to see if some developer is able to do it.

TheExordick

Sep 25, 2021
Well, while unreal engine cloth physics is quite good (but tricky to use to say the least) it is very useful for capes, drapes, flags and that kind of things.

I would like to share with you my thought:
Independetly from the kind of game you are developing or planning, you don't have to mimic the reality in every aspect. It is way better to find a good compromise between simplicity to code and visual effect for player immersion.
For example, the stripping mechanics: if you have the character perform the animation of taking off the t-shirt and then said t-shirt disappear it is not going to ruin your gameplay or immersion. Nobody expects to see a full fledged stripping mechanics. Woould it be cool? yes. Would it be costly? you can bet. Would it be buggy? i can assure you.

In fact, on the opposite side, let's say you can implement the stripping mechanics with cloths following hands/socket or whatever and you release a thing that is messy, buggy and clips through the mesh constantly. I bet your immersion would be ruined by this kind of vision.

Game development is smoke and mirrors, is compromise. You just need to sell the idea, it is not a movie. And this especially applies to solo developers, hobbiests and those with very limited budgets in general.