README How to compress video collections

simiriti

Nov 6, 2023
To compress video collections, use video compression software like Handbrake or Adobe Media Encoder . These tools allow you to reduce file sizes while maintaining quality. First, select the desired video files. Then, choose a compression preset that balances quality and size reduction. Custom settings like resolution, bit rate, and codec (H.264, HEVC) are also available for fine-tuning. After configuring settings, start the compression process. Remember, more compression might lead to quality loss. Always backup originals before compressing!

Reactions: NullZeb

sandz

Jul 3, 2017
I've been using this masterpiece for a while (thank you so much rf96!) and today I had a strange error. Apparently the frames are too large for it to convert. Is there any way to fix this?
View attachment 2928708
Also getting this error when trying the script on a 4k file. Has anyone figured out how to get past this?

EDIT: For whatever reason I don't see the error when I try running the command directly with ffmpeg, so just used a batch script to process my files in a flat directory to keep it simple.

Last edited:

Shakezoola

Apr 4, 2024
Im no pro at this sort of stuff and I assume there's a lot I don't know, but AFAIK it's muuuch better to compress using AV1 since, aside from the follow-up to H265 (who's name I forget, but know that no one uses yet), it's the best compression available. It saves the most space.

hlarious

Jun 4, 2022
Im no pro at this sort of stuff and I assume there's a lot I don't know, but AFAIK it's muuuch better to compress using AV1 since, aside from the follow-up to H265 (who's name I forget, but know that no one uses yet), it's the best compression available. It saves the most space.
You get better compression, but it takes even longer than H.265 to encode, which already takes a pretty long time. It is not really worth it for most people. Some devices/media players also don't support AV1 (my phone heats up when decoding AV1, lol)

You can use AV1 now but it is still many years away from widespread adoption because technology is yet to catch up.

Calendar

Jun 18, 2020
Yeah, AV1 is the best compression yet. But the thing with encoding is that is not the only factor you care. Even for h265 unless you have great machine or a dedicated one, there is no way with actual proper settings you gonna encode your collections comfortably.

Shakezoola

Apr 4, 2024
You get better compression, but it takes even longer than H.265 to encode, which already takes a pretty long time. It is not really worth it for most people. Some devices/media players also don't support AV1 (my phone heats up when decoding AV1, lol)

You can use AV1 now but it is still many years away from widespread adoption because technology is yet to catch up.
Actually I'd argue that the hardware to encode in AV1 is definitely there. Theres 12 encoder presets in Handbrake, with 6 the recommended setting. But you can go lower. If you go to 1 or 2 you're taking days to encode. I use 3 and 4. Which is real low, but I can still do something that's 30 minutes long in an hour. Maybe hour and a half depending on the complexity of the material.

And, again, that's on a low preset. Realistically I can encode 30 minute stuff in 20 minutes.

And that's not to brag, just saying that there's definitely CPU's that can handle it now. The followup to H265 (VAVC? VAC?), from what I hear, takes so long that no PC can reasonably do anything atm with it.

ivanov95

Oct 23, 2017
H.266 (VVC - Versalite Video Encoding) is the follow up to H.265, but it will take years before it's usable.

"H.266 is more efficient at compressing video files and offers better video quality at the same bit rate compared to H. 265. It also uses more complex algorithms and techniques compared to H.265."

Dezdrehel

Jul 13, 2019
Hi there,
I'm trying to set up WinFF on my Windows computer using the download link in the first post.
I get a .zip file containing a winFF master folder with winFF and FFmpeg stuff, but no Windows executables except the 3.exe for FFmpeg.
I've read the readme files and they tells me to download and install two Pascal frameworks (fpc 2.4.4 and lazarus 0.9.30) to compile the Windows executable.
I was wondering if there was an easier way to get winFF to work?

Thanks for your attention.

rf96

I rape lolis with my tentacles
Uploader
Donor
Aug 11, 2017
Hi there,
I'm trying to set up WinFF on my Windows computer using the download link in the first post.
I get a .zip file containing a winFF master folder with winFF and FFmpeg stuff, but no Windows executables except the 3.exe for FFmpeg.
I've read the readme files and they tells me to download and install two Pascal frameworks (fpc 2.4.4 and lazarus 0.9.30) to compile the Windows executable.
I was wondering if there was an easier way to get winFF to work?

Thanks for your attention.

sandz

Jul 3, 2017
Out of curiosity, is the original ffmpeg command mentioned in the OP still what people are using? Anyone tweak it and see any benefit?
-crf 20.0 -vcodec libx264 -filter:v scale=-2:720 -preset slow -acodec aac -ar 48000 -b:a 128k -coder 1 -flags +loop -cmp chroma -partitions +parti4x4+partp8x8+partb8x8 -me_method hex -subq 6 -me_range 16 -g 250 -keyint_min 25 -sc_threshold 40 -i_qfactor 0.71 -b_strategy 1 -threads 0