Others - Completed - How to Build a Magnificent Kingdom [v1.03.0] [Irisfield]

1. 5.00 star(s)

Mr Ero

35 hours of skipping and digging through those stories and shits,i didnt get every last piece of story out of this game and im quite done thank you.This is one hell of a story,but really the farming is too much to deal with if i ain using cheat engine.But really,its worth playing if you have the patience.Just in case,get some tissue for the eyes.
    You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
  2. 2.00 star(s)

Gintlar

How to Build a Magnificent Kingdom [v1.03.0] [Irisfield]
    I have been undecided for a long time whether to give a 2 or 3 star rating.

The game doesn't deserve a star, it has very nice art, excellent voice acting, a so-so but not bad story, a good number of characters and a gameplay that works at least at the beginning.

Also true, however, that as far as I'm concerned it's impossible to give 4/5 stars.
    The game has too many unnecessary dialogues, while this is an advantage at the beginning, in the long run you get tired of reading about dialogues between the various characters, and I'm sure everyone skipped a lot of dialogues (the bound).

The gameplay seems nice at first, but then I can assure you that you will leave everything automatically, just pressing the final skills of the various characters. Despite this flaw, one can think that the pre-battle gameplay (character and team management) remains. Yes but no, even that is very limited, it is not even possible to max out the skills, really a shame.

The choices of the characters do not make logical sense, it happens because yes, there is a need for that choice of gameplay.
    I state that initially I downloaded the game precisely because I wanted a game with management, and with the premise of the brothel I thought I'd found it, but it's bad at that.
    The game works better without the brothel, which completely ruins the story.
    The brothel itself is limited by the scenes, which aren't always satisfying.

In short, it is a game that has tried to do several things and in the end has not succeeded in anything.
  3. 2.00 star(s)

AKozOfBliss

Jeez... I came into this game with way too high of an expectation.

• Gameplay-wise, I'm thoroughly disappointed. The kingdom rebuilding is mind-numbingly dull (literally a glorified "skill tree", spending mana points to increase the rate at which you earn more mana points). And while the brothel aspect is nominally pretty deep, the actual experience of managing it feels extremely shallow.
    • The art is great, and the character design are appealing. But that's about it.
    • The story felt pretty dull, and the pace had me skipping text way too soon.
    • The battle system... is... weird? It seemed like it has depth, but in practice, it feels pretty clunky and I almost feel like the game is playing itself.
    I'm a pretty hardcore kingdom-management-genre fan. Love painting maps with my colours, promoting prosperity of realms, and all that.

So yeah... this really didn't come close to scratching my itch. But I hope at least it does for you.
  4. 4.00 star(s)

thanboxay

It's a really good game. I don't doubt if the 60+ hours I've spent into this game had meaning or not. I love the game for its story and art.

The chronology which the plot is presented is kind of incomprehensible. Some scenes should have been shown before others, so that I could've grasped what was going on instead of feeling like a retard for not being able to catch up what they're talking about in some scenes. reorganizing the building blocks of the story should be ideal. Nevertheless, once I got to the end and took in every plot the game has to offer, I can confidently say that it's a good story worthy of reading.

Many basic functions of a 'game' that this one supposed to be is lacking. It doesn't mark a conversation as read or unread, auto mode doesn't wait for voice speech, voice get cut off on new lines instead of continue till next voice, the gameplay is pretty disconnected from the story, combat is just full auto without speed up function (cheat engine doesn't work).

Pregnancy is just reflected on standing pictures without any talks or scenes recognizing those pregnancies. There are 4500+ H CGs in this game, a very substantial amount compared to any other VNs out there. Less than half of those are V penetration scenes.

I really do want to give 5 stars, but all of the nuances I encountered while going through it regretfully convince me otherwise, for what it's worth.
  5. 2.00 star(s)

philtwo

it's all already been said, game is weird with no sense of direction and the actual gameplay is so bad that this might as well just be a kinetic VN. you can already tell 20 minutes into the game that the brothel makes no sense. the one good thing about the game is that there are a lot of girls to choose from.
  6. 5.00 star(s)

descil

For ntr fans this game is very good.
    An impressively wide cast of heroines all with plenty of character development and h-scenes.
    The UI and menu organization is unintuitive but becomes manageable with familiarity.
    The combat is straight-forward but the variety of characters and weapons that can be used and combined is interesting.
    Disappointingly, most of the h-scenes take place in either your private quarters or the brothel, so the variety is somewhat limited, with many interesting scenarios left unexplored.
    Overall, one of the best h-games I've played. Would recommend.
  7. 4.00 star(s)

Mega14343

Wow okay, lemme go through this.
    When I downloaded this, I thought it was gonna be short, like something to pass the weekend or so. Boy was I wrong. About 35 hours is what it took me to beat the thing.
    And that is honestly what I would call the game's biggest flaw: it's too big for it's own good. The story is nice, but the combat and kingdom building is boring, and take up a lot of time.
    And also, since I wasn't able to find a guide in English I'll leave some tips here. So the game's divided into 3 parts. Part 1 you're just gonna play like normal and then you'll get to part 2, which is basically the "bad end" of the game.
    I gotta say, depending on how you see it, part 2 is really well written, it legit got me considering just quitting the game (I'm guessing that's the author's intention since Narrator straight up tells you "this is a dead end, might as well quit now and never come back"). I arrived in part 2 liking most characters and left liking only a handful and hating the others
    So you'll get through part 2 and what you're gonna do now... is do a new game +. When you have the option to choose your future, you'll want to chose "a future where the kind devil doesn't have to put up and evil act". You're going to be very bored with repeated events and battles that you're overpowered, but it is what it is. There is some new events and you're gonna want to see those as well as win a previously unwinneable battle in Chapter 3.
    After that battle, you'll go to the events screen and choose to name Malice (and yeah it's an actual input, but you'll know who it is by this point). Once that's done you're now locked into part 3 (the game calls it part 2 like the other, but you coming from the "bad future" is a plotpoint so I consider this part 3). Now you just have to finish the game.
    So again, just to make things simple, the game isn't bad and the story is good, but god damn is it big. The gameplay part is shit, and the sex scenes get boring after a while, but the story itself managed to keep me to the end, so there's that.
  8. 4.00 star(s)

p23rklo

Story/Game Theme= 5/5
    Town building/Kingdom building= 2/5
    Brothel Gameplay= 1/5
    Combat Gameplay= 2.5/5
    H Scene Quality= 3/5
    Music/BGM= 3.5/5

First of all, let's get the 4-star rating out of the way. The story and the characters alone carried this game, there are different moments in game some comedic, some tragic with different twists and turns in which the plot may go. Story is pretty linear with little to no choice. I'd recommend playing this game for the story and characters alone as they are written so well and have depth in them.

While in the gameplay side of things, it's kind of eh... Brothel gameplay is a tedious chore wherein you won't be able to enjoy the scenes because you'll be too busy managing stuff in real time (sure you can pause but it'll only make the brothel gameplay longer so fck that) and you'd be better off viewing the scenes in the gallery. The kingdom management/building aspect is pretty meh and is kind of a wasted potential. You don't see meaningful changes in your kingdom it's mostly just battle/brothel stats, and battle drops/money/resource for upgrading go up. Sure these things can make the battle gameplay easier and may even be necessary on the latter portions of the game, but it's kind of boring just increasing stat numbers on stuff as a way to reflect kingdom growth. The only "unique and meaningful upgrades" to your kingdom is increasing the party limit. Combat gameplay might seem daunting at first due to the myriad of mechanics available but once you get used to it, it's quite fun in a way (subjective) demolishing enemies but not outstanding or praiseworthy. There are many gameplay elements that bloat the game and the overall game suffered from content overload (leading to large amount of mechanics but costing those mechanics to be unrefined and shallow in depth)

The H scenes are varied for different kinks with the heroines being drawn by different artists so the quality may vary between each heroine. So if you're only satisfied by one specific kink and you decide to play this game, then you might find the h scene quantity/quality in this game lacking (since your particular kink might only be featured in 1-4 H scenes in total). The most abundant one is vanilla of course with different positions and all, so if you're into that well this one will be a treat for you. The music is kind of above average for this type of game. There are some BGM that are meh and kind of just filler music, while there are some that rocks/slaps/pretty good. One problem with this game's sound design is how poorly the developers "equalized" the music, and the voice dialogue of characters. Sometimes characters will speak in a very hush whisper (despite them talking normally in game) and in another their audio would be very loud. The music/bgm suffers from the same issues, sometimes the music is kind of low/non-existent and then sometimes it's so loud that it drowns out the characters' voice line. It gets kind of tedious having to manually adjust the volume of BGM/Character voice/PC volume just so I can hear what the characters are saying/hear the music.
    TLDR: WOULD RECOMMEND PLAYING FOR THE STORY ALONE.
  9. 4.00 star(s)

boboverlord

First, this is a bad hentai game, but a good visual novel with interesting gameplay. If you want a game for a quick fap, this game is not for you.

My review summary on each section of the story:

Part 1: boring. Feel very generic harem story. Maybe intentional, but still very front-loaded and make things uninteresting to read.

Part 2: everything turns into despair. Even seemingly innocent characters show their darkest colors. This is where the intensity of the story is at it's strongest.

Part 3: sadly since this is a timeline-reset so the vast proportion of character development in Part 2 is gone. While being able to defy fate at the beginning feels great, the rest of the story to the end feels underwhelming.

The hidden story - the Birth of Malice: this is where the story feels as strong and tragic as Part 2. Honestly, it seems the story as a whole doesn't fit with "happy endings" really well.

--------------------------------

Here is my thoughts, which are a bit scattered:
    • Honestly Part 3 is quite a letdown. Since we don't know about the villain's true motive and backstory until the Birth of Malice, I felt like nothing she did makes sense. There are two main reasons: the first is that whatever the calamity the Organization was conjuring was meaningless (like the Sefira tree) since both Verna and Interloper already appeared, so they don't do anything meaningful. The second is that, much of the final boss fight is almost nonsensical before you read the Birth of Malice. In fact, it felt like even Cordelia herself was clueless about what she's doing.
    • Another thing I think I don't like is the timeline-reset in Part 3, as it kills not only the character development built in Part 2, but also the severity of the crisis we face. I will use an example from the game Punishing Gray Raven, which also has a bit about time traveling and changing timelines. However, PGR's "branching point" starts in the darkest point of the story, so it feels like correcting past mistakes are "earned" through hardship. Here, the branching point is in a relatively low intensity portion of the story, so the characters avoid the hardship and character growth from Part 2.
    • The Birth of Malice story is pretty interesting and tragic. It feels better written than most heroines' stories. It definitely doesn't make Cordelia or the goddamn kids from the Organization much more forgivable btw. The part that I have mixed feeling is that Cordelia, after getting deleted by the annihilation arrow, will leave her will as Malice to influence the stories in the future. On one hand it feels epic that all stories are interconnected, on the other hand it feels like her action is pointless, since her wish will no longer be possible to come true anyway.
    • I feels like God/Verna is being a jerk for the sake of it. There is no better explanation about her motivation.
    • Worldbuilding, and tying character's backstories together with the lore while making them tragic are praiseworthy
  10. 4.00 star(s)

Chillman

As a management game, there's nothing too special to it. The brothel mechanics and the upgrade system are very straight forward, but doesn't feel particularly rewarding. Combat towards the end turned into a grindy AI Auto battler unless you purposely raise the difficulty for fights.

As a visual novel, the main story and primary themes is excellent and was well worth sitting down and playing through to the end. Very enjoyable characters once you start getting to know them through bond events and a fascinating backstory that's hinted throughout the whole game. Minor issues would be that the pacing tends to get weird in some parts where things just happen "because" and admittedly a lot of bond events drag on way longer than they should.

H-Scene wise, there's a whole lot of variety for everyone there, but that's also the issue as well. If you don't like a lot of fetishes, then there's not much for you here. All H-Scenes are optional, and unfortunately none of it ties to the main story and can be ignored completely.

Best way I can describe this experience is a great story trapped within a mediocre game. Despite its faults, you can really feel the labor of love baked into the whole game. Definitely give it a go if the premise piques your interest.
  11. 5.00 star(s)

Kiddok25

Like the noble jungle frog, this game's cheerful skin hides incredible danger. It's a story about perserverance in the face of absolute, soul-crushing despair and it gets incredibly brutal.

It does suffer from a case of Too Much Content, with every character having multiple events with every other character, but it at least serves a narrative purpose in that every characters' story is intertwined with others in multiple ways the bite-sized pieces help you make sense of it all.

The gameplay itself is just "okay" but the multiple difficulties mean you can invest as much or as little as you want into it.

Anyway give it a shot if you enjoy despair, telling despair to go fuck itself, and having 20 wives.
  12. 2.00 star(s)

Rastafoo

Writing - Great
    Visuals - Great
    Gameplay - Great

PACING - HORRIFICALLY FUCKING TERRIBLE
    You get like 15 bond events stacked up back to back to back, game progress is interrupted by +30 minute info dumps of characters you probably won't like, much of the mandatory scenes are literally waifu of the week subplots where you get a new girl every few seconds. Its fucking horrible. You also level up semi-randomly and always feel overpowered on normal mode. But that's okay because multiple difficulties right? NOPE. All that does is buff the HP and ATK of enemies, not actually creating a challenge, just a level grind.

If the story was better paced and the gameplay mechanics were more difficult, this game could have been a masterpiece. But with flaws so deeply ingrained in the experience. I'm sorry, but sadly, I cannot recommend this to others. Its a classic Kagura game; great marketing and a disappointing product; every time.
  13. 5.00 star(s)

DuniX

It's a good game for what it is, which is an auto-battler/defense style game.
    It's not much of a management game if that is what you are looking.

In terms of H-Scenes they decided to go with a larger cast of characters so you have a limited number of scenes per character that is also shared with the brothel.
    You basically unlock a bunch of scenes once they join you and make her your lover, which can feel pretty rushed and make the romance feel meaningless.

What is good is the characters themselves and their personal stories.
    Characters have events with basically every other character.
    In terms of a Features that defines this game this is it.

In terms of Battles they are pretty well done with the progression system and skills and enemy variety.
    Do note the "Normal" Difficulty is pretty much for those who just want to experience the Story.
    You might want to do the missions on Hard if you want to experience the Gameplay properly.

The Tutorial? Well there is no tutorial so I recommend searching this thread for a guide.
  14. 3.00 star(s)

ehendu

Could have been a solid kingdom management game or VN if it just picked a style and stuck with it. Instead you get a weird mix of the two that feels like they're competing.

Actual "management" side of things is fairly trivial as you don't really have any deadlines to keep up with as far as resource management goes. Seemed like you could do everything at your own pace so not really a challenge there just a grind.

As for the VN side, you had to wade through the "management" mini-game stuff to unlock more of the story which negatively impacted it.

Definitely can be enjoyed. But honestly leaves much to be desired as a whole.
  15. 3.00 star(s)

oocc13

tl;dr: it's more like 30 hours+ story heavy visual novel with mobile mini game rather than kingdom building strategy game. It's quality is mixed bag.

I played other fan translated in other language quite ago and it seems like not much different than that version so i will review based on that.

-pro: vast casting of characters, somewhat enjoyable game play

-con: lack of impact on story based on your choices on playthrough, shollow and overlapping concept of some heroines

Romances and brothel jobs are completely optional so it doesn't impact story, and story itself it's build up (1 and 2 chapters) are fine but 3rd chapter is kind of falling a part from heroine development and climax. It is kinda impressive how almost every named characters in this game are linked at least one each others in bond events but it is so vast and unorganized so it is very mixed bag.
    Kingdom management is kinda flat, it doesn't effect story, kinda wasted potential.
    It is in development in 2.0 version of this game in japanese version(mostly qol changes and extra contiuation of the story but you probably know what will happening if you know of previous work of this circle), so it might change rating in the unknown future.
  16. 4.00 star(s)

Greg_

At first I wanted to do two playthroughs, one focusing on romance and one on the brothel aspect of the game, however the game is quite inconsistent, so following a romance route is not as fulfilling.

Prime example.
    You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

So yeah, the game is good, the reviewers before me said everything about the mechanics and whatnot, don't take the game seriously.

It would have been better if the writing remains consistent regarding the sex scenes, since there is a stat page for that for every girl, but oh well.
  17. 1.00 star(s)

Bellua

How To Build A NTR Kingdom

The game sorta gets dragged down a lot since half the content is locked behind one of those notorious NTR gates. The art is OK, but it and the gameplay really suffers from the chosen engine and its inherent limitations. The chosen engine really makes for a dated experience with the lack of proper scaling, poor window controls, and the normal RPGM lacks. Overall, don't recommend
  18. 4.00 star(s)

stekegkin

So, before I get started, the game is good. It's not amazing, but it's also not nearly as bad as some of the other reviewers make it out to be.

First, it's text-heavy. You're expected to read. Skipping the text will cause a considerable amount of confusion about what's actually happening, or over the motivations of certain characters, and the H-scenes have less impact when you're nowhere near invested in the characters. A certain level of disbelief should be prepared—as it always should be with anything anime/hentai related.

You'll be grinding and playing an auto battler most of the time, but it's not nearly as bad as some other reviews make it out to be. If you invest early Work points in a smart fashion, you'll find yourself ROLLING in upgrades pretty quick with minimal effort.

My main issue is that things just move too fast. You play a lot of the "story" and bonding events much like you would in games like rance, evanicle, or the venus blood games, starting them from a dedicated menu where you can watch the ones you have available one after another at your own pace. I was expecting a slow burn, but ended up getting into a lovers relationship with people within three events, as they just sort of throw themselves at you. Not necessarily a bad thing if you just want a quick fap, but it's not my cup of tea.

So why's it four stars? Because it's fine. It has a story I can read without feeling the need to mash skip, and mechanics that work without giving me a migraine. I'm simply enjoying it; it has more meat on its bones than most other games in the same genre and a lot less jank. The text is readable (even when stoned out of your mind, apparently) and while obviously a little out there, doesn't have a terrible plot.

If you like these sorts of games, give it a shot, you'll probably like it. However, don't expect something that's going to blow your mind. You'll spend most of your time reading text, auto battling and navigating menus to upgrade and maintain your units inbetween the two.
  19. 4.00 star(s)

teddidiah

It's a long haul VN-with-gameplay, but the start doesn't really work. It doesn't explain mechanics too well, and the intro is purposefully obtuse and mysterious in some aspects but doesn't actually bait you into realizing "wait, something is afoot" until after you're well and truly confused through the prologue and half way through chapter one.

Is it good? Eh, four stars might be generous, but as long as you know what you're getting into over some wankfest it's enjoyable enough.
  20. 1.00 star(s)

Tebix

I have now played the game for a couple of hours and I must say the game is seriously bad.

There are a few inconsistency with the artstyles but the big elephant in the room is that it all just feels cobbled together without even a good story to tie it all together. The characters don't have any personality nor common sense. the system all don't really interact with each other. There are two main "minigames" one is the brothel and the other is a battler which progresses you in the game. but they all feel disjointed. the game is really grindy if you don't cheat and getting good isn't really a option because you will simply get swarmed when the rest of the team dies.

The sex scenes are short mostly generic and not integrated into the story at all.

All in all the game is bad and a waste of hard disk space and is obvious that the game lacks serious direction during its production with a character cast that is the weakest I have ever seen.