• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

How does everyone manage updating their game library?

swagstiak

Nov 25, 2022
I use F95 checker to manage and launch games, which is amazing, but i am wondering how everyone manages their game library?

Currently when there is an update i go to the thread, download the latest version and when i extract it to the folder my games are in, i have to delete the old version, go to F95 Checker, clear the exe and re add the new one.

This isn't a big deal obviously and easy enough to do, but I figured i would ask the community how they manage it, is there an alternative method other people use so they can bypass one or more of these steps? Always looking for new ways to be lazy lol

chainedpanda

Jun 26, 2017
It's chaos. In theory, I download a game, play game, then delete game. I also have a excel sheet for rating games on a personal level as well as for marking games I dislike. If I REALLY enjoy the game (7+ in notes), I watch the thread, but realistically, I haven't followed this rule in forever.

That said, the reality is always far from my plans. I tend to get interested in a specific niche, I'll download 10+ games at once, play one or two games, delete them, and switch to a different niche. Sometimes I'll try to sort games into dedicated subfolders for various niches, but sometimes I attempt different sorting methods. All of these sorting methods are designed with the idea that I'll play them eventually... Which I never do.

What generally happens is that I end up downloading copies of different games, accidentally sorting them into different subfolders. If that wasn't bad enough, I oftentimes just clear all of my games and I start again. It's not uncommon for me to download 30-50 games and play 5 of them.

For updating games.... I don't? Not really anyway. It's one of the main reasons why I oftentimes restart my collection. Sometimes I'll replace a game with the new version, but most of the time I've moved on from that niche and can't be bothered. So, once I realize that too many games need an update (knowing me, that's like 5 games max), I just give up and restart.

I keep telling myself "this time will be different..." but in reality it's never different. It's like trying to play Skyrim as anything but a stealth archer... By the time you finish any storyline, you've regressed to your primal instinct.

swagstiak

Nov 25, 2022
I just have them in a folder. Delete it when I'm done the current update, with a backup folder for the mods I've made and RPGM saves.
Yeah thats basically how i do it, but i dont delete the game when im done, it just sits there so i can remember what was the last version i played. Since using checker though i always update immediatly so the version tracking doesnt happen anymore

Deleted member 1017199

Nov 17, 2018
If the fap material is good I keep a copy in my hard drive. If not I delete it after finishing it. Not that I get to actually finish a lot of them since most of the games I follow here almost never gets completed.

I don't play games that get lots of updates regularly like RPGM games.

r37r05p3C7

Nov 8, 2023
is there an alternative method other people use so they can bypass one or more of these steps? Always looking for new ways to be lazy lol
1. use , it will automatically download and extract archives
2. don't delete old folder, move new files into the old folder replacing old files
3. if you followed step 2 your folder name did not change, so you most likely don't have to clear/add exes

Reactions: swagstiak

Ogrexin

Nov 25, 2020
I just found out about f95 checker, so you can take a guess
I dont really have any sort of problem, updating isnt really that hard ass it's made out to be, and i when i finish games i don't obsessively wait for a minor bug fix update, but instead wait out a few months if not a year (though even in that case, some games like LT have meager updates)

Reactions: Count Morado

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Well, I cheated...

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

But sorry guys, it's made with a (way to) old version of Perl, because I'm too lazy to update my homemade package. So only I can use it.

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
I'm selective. I play fewer than a dozen games, for the most part, and their average development cycle is greater than 6 months.

Very easy to manage.

Ennoch

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Oct 10, 2017
"manage"
sweaty.gif
I click download link. Save into one collective folder. Unpack into the same folder. Forget about it. Keep 5-6 versions of it. Delete 2-300 gigs of a hundred games i can't for the life of me remember what they were about a year later. Repeat.

Dessolos

Forum Fanatic
Jul 25, 2017
I have a spreadsheet for backlog which includes games ive played. I jut label them if there is an update out , or if im waiting for one. Also I label everything with the current version that can be found on this site. I prefer that way to using a program like F95 checker because it's easy to forget the last version I played. I only update the version on my spreadsheet as I play them and I just check once in awhile on games.

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
Thread is now eligible to be considered as closed. Three members with similar number of posts replied in a row. That's a "turkey."
1707857616305.png

Logan1377

Feb 13, 2023
I have a SSD drive that I use for "active" games, and then when I'm finished with them, I move them to a folder on an older external drive for ones that I've either completed up to the current content, or decided that I'll come back to at some later date. I also keep favorite games that are completely finished and played through in a different folder on that drive, so that I can come back to them later on if I feel like it for another go.

For games that are updated pretty frequently and I move through the new content quickly, I'll delete the older version on the backup drive when I put the new one there. For example, delete the 0.17v when the 0.18v is up to date.

My play process is a mix of playing those frequently updated games mixed in with much larger ones that I haven't gotten all the way through yet.

r37r05p3C7

Nov 8, 2023
Well, I cheated...

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

But sorry guys, it's made with a (way to) old version of Perl, because I'm too lazy to update my homemade package. So only I can use it.
damn, don't tell me you also handrolled your own ui lib for this? It doesn't seem like anything i can find available for perl.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
damn, don't tell me you also handrolled your own ui lib for this?
Well, it's a mix between third party libs, Tk, and homemade libs, including the local database server. What is precisely the reason why I can't share it. Finding the right version of Perl may be possible, but finding a versions of the third party libs that would works with them would be a headache.

This being said, I put the screenshot partly to inspire someone that would have the free time I don't have.
For someone who know how to code it's not too much works, and this made in Python, or even the current version of Perl, while I'm sure that a lot of members would be interested by something like this.