Blender How Do I transfer Weight to preserve the Pose without Double transformation?

EroNinja

May 14, 2018
I cannot find anything on google and blender community or elsewhere that addresses the issues I'm looking for but as it stands right now, if you have a posed character that is anything other than the rest pose, transferring weights from one mesh to another in weight paint mode (or using parent deform with automatic weights) it essentially “doubles” up the deform once you set up armature and fails to be accurate at all.

I wanted to move the mouth of my character so it would be easier to line up the mesh surface and make a transfer. I have both of the same armature, one of them changed in a custom pose that I have modified. If I want to avoid the problem, where the mesh deformer doesn't move, I can apply the armature of my source character or apply full transformation to the value of 0 but the problem is that if I do this, I essentially create a default position where the mouth stays open instead of closed and I would not able to reset the bones back to its original rest pose.

Why isn’t there an easy way to transfer weights from a posed character mesh?

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
Why isn’t there an easy way to transfer weights from a posed character mesh?
It's a rather niche thing since most of the time you design clothing on a base T-posed mesh instead of a posed one, or if its something like a weapon you would bound to a bone (where you can do what your looking for) instead of copying the weight painting since its not supposed to deform. And it's probably way harder to code than it sounds on paper, so jot a priority with their limited development team.

Anyway I think your best bet is to make a copy of the Blend file, pose the chracter, write down the transforms of each (The xyz/rotation transforms), apply the pose as rest, before copying the weights.

Then pose the character back to its old rest position by inverting the transforms you wrote down (+20 becomes -20). If everything works as how I think it should, you should end up with your old rest position with the mesh transformed to fit your old rest position.

Then apply the armature modifier on the mesh. Fix any issues it might have (Use a shape key if you want to keep the unfixed mesh info), before copying it from the second file to your original file. Link it to armature and it should work now I think.

EroNinja

May 14, 2018
It's a rather niche thing since most of the time you design clothing on a base T-posed mesh instead of a posed one, or if its something like a weapon you would bound to a bone (where you can do what your looking for) instead of copying the weight painting since its not supposed to deform. And it's probably way harder to code than it sounds on paper, so jot a priority with their limited development team.

Anyway I think your best bet is to make a copy of the Blend file, pose the chracter, write down the transforms of each (The xyz/rotation transforms), apply the pose as rest, before copying the weights.

Then pose the character back to its old rest position by inverting the transforms you wrote down (+20 becomes -20). If everything works as how I think it should, you should end up with your old rest position with the mesh transformed to fit your old rest position.

Then apply the armature modifier on the mesh. Fix any issues it might have (Use a shape key if you want to keep the unfixed mesh info), before copying it from the second file to your original file. Link it to armature and it should work now I think.

Thanks, I guess it really comes down to working on a traditional method which is a longer process to finish but it is the only viable option for me to take since it is the solution nevertheless.

weightwatcher

Jul 6, 2017
you're probably looking for this
1714592227156.png

You *should* be able to do this from a perfectly posed character.
and then you can bring back the armature to T-Pose and correct the mesh manually for any unwanted deformations through weight paint or mesh editing.

This should project the weight of your already rigged character to the unrigged character.

Another tip is to have the armature active while editing/weight painting.
and a rather obsecure tip is to clip a region if it's hard to reach. (alt+B)
this can make thing infinitely easier to edit when working in tight places.

Anyway, i hope i understood the question correctly and answered appropriately.