• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

How do I run a game with Japanese locale?

Garbage Man

Dec 26, 2021
I've noticed a few games here and there which say they need to be run with system locale set to Japanese or with an japanese locale emulator.
I'm not to familiar with how system locale works. Is it as simple as changing your pc's region to Japan?
Can changing your system locale cause potential errors with your pc? Like weird system updates or messing with languages and timezones?

Also, just out of curiosity why is it some JP games require the locale change whereas others do not?

Just looking for some info on the matter; I've seen the thread on setting up an emulator if I want to, but I figured I wanted to learn more about the concept first and why it was required.

RedPillBlues

I Want to Rock your Body (To the Break of Dawn)
Donor
Jun 5, 2017
It involves changing your language non-unicode programs to Japanese. And yes I've had it mess with games before, but its rare (in my experience) and its nothing a changing of the code back to English and a reinstall wont fix.

Reactions: Garbage Man

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
Here I did a simple guide on how to install the language pack and change locale.

It explains a bit how not to mess with timezones and why you need it.

This is enough to make all japanese games work without relying on emulators or similar solutions. If you have more specific questions feel free to ask.

Reactions: Garbage Man

Not_1_Fan

Jun 27, 2021
Hi,

I recently downloaded a game called "kawakaburi No cherry" but when I try to open the game, I get error. I have already changed the system locale to Japanese in settings is there anything more which I can try. Any help?

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
Hi,

I recently downloaded a game called "kawakaburi No cherry" but when I try to open the game, I get error. I have already changed the system locale to Japanese in settings is there anything more which I can try. Any help?
Rename the folder "[Ryuugames] Kawakaburi...". Immediately after "Cherry" there is a quotation mark in your screenshot: I guess it's a special charater. Replace it (or just remove it) and relaunch the game.

Not_1_Fan

Jun 27, 2021
Rename the folder "[Ryuugames] Kawakaburi...". Immediately after "Cherry" there is a quotation mark in your screenshot: I guess it's a special charater. Replace it (or just remove it) and relaunch the game.
It worked, it was space after cherry after I removed it, the game got opened. Thanks

Reactions: scrumbles