How do i open .png_ or .jpg_ files?

Fliptoynk

Nov 9, 2018
their file extensions have underscore (.jpg_) so your windows is clueless. for what reason, I dunno... so try opening 1 with ms paint/photoshop/gimp or whatever image editors you got there

I'm Not Thea Lundgren!

AKA: TotesNotThea
Donor
Jun 21, 2017
If you're on Windows, double click one, then choose Photos (Windows 10), or Windows Photo Viewer (pre-Windows 10), if that works, do it again but this time tick the box underneath that says always use this program.

Reionseo

Jun 29, 2020
done it too .. no use
as fitgirlbestgirl has said, right click > rename and remove the _ in the file extension then click enter see if that allows them to be viewable, problem seems to be they're not .png files and are instead .png_ files which image viewers don't recognise.

Fliptoynk

Nov 9, 2018
so that's what that _ for. the image file's content have a different kind of data that common image editors can't figure out.

I mean, the data of the image are stored in a file in a JPG/PNG format, with some modifications(probably the header or version or even endian). that modification confuses your editor.

Last edited:

peesant123

Jul 21, 2019
as fitgirlbestgirl has said, right click > rename and remove the _ in the file extension then click enter see if that allows them to be viewable, problem seems to be they're not .png files and are instead .png_ files which image viewers don't recognise.
done 1601123046686.png

Back

Aug 3, 2017
No luck on my end either. Could be encrypted as HB Man or as sillyrobot says, or in the worst case simply be broken (but I assume the files are working in game). Hope you can figure it out, but you might just have to settle with encountering them in-game and just take screenshots if you want them to view them in the future.

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
The footer is right though, in the HEX editor the PNG file ends like expected. I wonder if the game has just stripped out the header.

bull11

Jun 16, 2017
Happened to decrypt this for another game (Hard Love - Darkest Desire), so thought I'll post this here. Executable is under bin/release but you should really compile yourself because this is code from the internet.

In case you are interested, the RMMZ plugin adds its own 16 byte header to the file (which it just verifies) and xors the png header with the encryption key in System.json.

I did this for the images because I don't care about the audio but it's the same idea.

EDIT: RPG Maker MV Decrypter supports this format now, I'm just leaving this up for posterity's sake.

Last edited:

misterbaobab

Aug 29, 2017
Happened to decrypt this for another game (Hard Love - Darkest Desire), so thought I'll post this here. Executable is under bin/release but you should really compile yourself because this is code from the internet.

In case you are interested the RMMZ plugin adds its own 16 byte header to the file (which it just verifies) and xors the png header with the encryption key in System.json.

I did this for the images because I don't care about the audio but it's the same idea.
How does it work? I mean I tried it, launched RmmzPng2.exe, then it asked to choose a folder (with pictures?). I chose folder with pictures and it claimed System.json missing. The end.
Or can you just upload pictures from Hard Love - Darkest Desire on mega? Cause I wanted to open it's pictures too.

bull11

Jun 16, 2017
How does it work? I mean I tried it, launched RmmzPng2.exe, then it asked to choose a folder (with pictures?). I chose folder with pictures and it claimed System.json missing. The end.
Or can you just upload pictures from Hard Love - Darkest Desire on mega? Cause I wanted to open it's pictures too.
Choose the game directory

Reactions: misterbaobab