How do i make assets for a game/media if i belive im not that great at art?

Pieguy2

Jan 5, 2024
I would share some art but i got nothing too share that is on hand.

I want to make games but i believe im bad at art and i know nothing about 3d art and i dont want to hire anyone. ive debated on using ai but my tech isnt the best and ai has "issues" like i wont create what i imagined and its hard to get the same character. Im also not sure how to get started with nsfw art or what free resources might help.

Ive been putting the idea of gamedev to the side for quite some time now and I'm just not sure what to do now because i stink at so much.

also is renpy the only option for visual novels?

Emoon

May 4, 2017
I want to make games but i believe im bad at art and i know nothing about 3d art and i dont want to hire anyone.
As with so many thing in life you will only get good at it if you learn it. Grab and start with one of the millions First Steps in Blender Youtube tutorials. But for starters i recommend the famous .

Im also not sure how to get started with nsfw art or what free resources might help.
Put that aside for now, first get familiar with 3D than come back here i give you some resources to start from.

Ive been putting the idea of gamedev to the side for quite some time now and I'm just not sure what to do now because i stink at so much.
I'm good with 3D but stink at any form of coding and you know why that is? Because i sank my teeth in 3D and learned it but with coding i never dug deeper than a "Hello World" example and that's why i stink at it. And you know what? That's fine because it's better to be really good at one thing rather than mediocre at multiple things.

also is renpy the only option for visual novels?
No, there's also , , or or even if you like. But even tho i personally prefer Unreal i would suggest to not dive into it for now as it can be overwhelming if you're totally new. And RPGM isn't the most popular option for many. Ren'py has the benefit that you can learn Python while working with it. Python gets used for a lot of things in all sorts of contexts, you could for instance write .

Put your head into it otherwise you'll stagnate forever. It won't take that long to get comfy with it. :)

Last edited:

Marcypawn

Mar 16, 2021
Blender is amazing in many ways, I love it myself! (My profile picture is made with it!)
But you also have the option of Daz 3D, it's the most popular software for 3D rendering in the adult VN space. From what I've heard it's a bit easier to get into overall, and making characters is much easier. The software is free, but it can get pricy because you have to buy most assets. Unfortunately rendering in Daz will take a lot of time if your computer isn't very good.
You can make characters in Daz and port them to Blender with Diffeomorphic though!

Some other options that are both cheap and easy are Honey Select 2 and Koikatu. But be aware that you probably can't sell games made with them!
If you decide to learn some Blender, and is amazing resources for making nsfw stuff in Blender.

Btw there was a new thread posted recently that you might be interested in, it's about how to make games as a beginner.

Reactions: Emoon and Pieguy2

exer

Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
In the simplest terms, the only way to get good at something is to do it.

You will always be bad at first. Everyone is bad at first. The high quality work you see is made because the person took the time to learn how to do it. Also keep in mind that a lot of high quality work is made by teams of people who all specialize in different things. It's never a good idea to compare what you do by yourself to the work a full team does.

Anyway, this is why so many games use Daz. It's free and easy to learn. There's also plenty of ways to get free assets, including here. Of course it's not exactly the legit way to do it, but that's what most people do.

There's plenty of other options for game engines outside of Renpy. I found Twine to be one of the easiest for visual novel style games. It's simple to learn and use, and for anything advanced there's probably already a script someone else made that you can copy and paste into your game. But it's also the most basic and I don't think you can sell the game on storefronts like Steam with Twine. I could be wrong about that, I've never looked into it, but I've also never seen a Twine game for sale.
I've also used Tyrannobuilder. Which is very easy to use to make a basic VN, but doing anything beyond a linear VN with character choices requires a lot more work and some basic knowledge on coding structure. It's still significantly easier to use than Renpy though. Renpy is a good engine to use, but it requires a lot more work to learn and requires a lot of actual coding.

You can learn how to do anything on youtube by just searching for tutorials. So whatever you decide, youtube is a good place to start. If you can't find specifically what you want there, search on google. The information is out there, you just have to put in the time and work to find it.

No matter what you do, you're going to have to learn something new. It's going to take a lot of time, a lot of work, and whatever you make is probably going to be bad for at least your first few attempts. People say it takes 10,000 hours of doing something to become an expert for good reason. To be really great at anything you have to fail over and over and over. But the more you do something, the better you'll be at it. You may not be an expert at 50 hours, but you'll be significantly better than you were at 0.

I personally think the best way to learn is by doing. So if you want to learn to make games, make a game. Just acknowledge that your first attempt probably isn't going to be a masterpiece, and that's okay. It's a process. Your first attempt may not be great, but you can take what you learned and make your second attempt significantly better. Working on a game is a great way to get better at art too. By creating a lot of assets you're getting a lot of practice in.

Ultimately, to make something high quality, it's going to take a lot of work. I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't make games, but it's important to keep in mind there isn't really easy way to make something good. There isn't some magic shortcut that the successful games or devs are hiding. They just put in the work to learn. Even then, tbh the real secret to being successful isn't even artistic skill or good game design. That's really only a small part of it. The real secret is marketing and getting lucky. You need to know how and where to market your game, and you have to get lucky enough that the right people find it. Or get lucky enough that someone already successful promotes your game or you get featured somewhere like here.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

Lord Executor

Nov 16, 2018
As with so many thing in life you will only get good at it if you learn it. Grab and start with one of the millions First Steps in Blender Youtube tutorials. But for starters i recommend the famous .

Put that aside for now, first get familiar with 3D than come back here i give you some resources to start from.

I'm good with 3D but stink at any form of coding and you know why that is? Because i sank my teeth in 3D and learned it but with coding i never dug deeper than a "Hello World" example and that's why i stink at it. And you know what? That's fine because it's better to be really good at one thing rather than mediocre at multiple things.

No, there's also , , or or even if you like. But even tho i personally prefer Unreal i would suggest to not dive into it for now as it can be overwhelming if you're totally new. And RPGM isn't the most popular option for many. Ren'py has the benefit that you can learn Python while working with it. Python gets used for a lot of things in all sorts of contexts, you could for instance write .

Put your head into it otherwise you'll stagnate forever. It won't take that long to get comfy with it. :)
Started drawing 2 weeks ago when I finally decided to make a game that has been sitting in my head for years. This post spoke to me on a personal level :ROFLMAO:

Thanks!

• Red Heart
Reactions: ParkG and Emoon

ParkG

Game Developer
May 12, 2021
You have to start somewhere. At this point, you're not even at the starting point, as you want to make games but you don't really specify what kind of games. You're not sure if you want to make 2D or 3D, and you're overwhelmed by your first steps you have yet to take. Renpy is not the only viable option for VNs, but let's put that question aside first because for now, it's still really far down the road. That's normal, don't worry, we all start somewhere.

There are a lot of good advice here, so I'm going to offer something a little different: take a step back and decide what kind of games you want to make, and whether they're 2D or 3D. You can play around with Blender/Daz3D (for 3D), and learn to draw (for 2D) all you want, but eventually you'll have to decide, so that you can start focusing on learning to make your chosen art style with your chosen software.

Once you get the hang of using Blender/Daz, or get familiar with digital art, then you can start looking for feedback. Get familiar with googling a whole lot of questions. But you need to know what to ask first, before you can ask them. And the only way to find out what you don't know, is by start doing.

Your question can be summed up to three points:
  1. I know nothing about 3D art --> How to make 3D art? Try Blender, Daz3D, HS, and other softwares that others have kindly suggested here.
  2. I'm also not sure how to get started with nsfw art --> How to draw 2D art? Check out YT tutorials, learn basic anatomy/how to draw faces. Use Photoshop, Krita, ClipStudio, etc (pick one).
  3. Is Renpy for visual novel --> What engine should I use? Determine what kind of game you want to make. Is it VN? Then yes go ahead and start with Renpy.
Just start. Play around with whatever softwares that interest you, to get over the anxiety first. Get the hang of things a little bit. You've spent a lot of time thinking about it, it's time to start doing! :) :coffee: All the best!