How do Devs price their games?

saifmangawy

Formerly 'marcomanga'
Jul 5, 2023
I know many devs rely on donations, patreon, or subscribestar. What about the devs who release their games as a priced product, whether it be on Steam or itch.io? Is there a certain criteria to be met, or does it just depend on how every dev is feeling?

Last edited:

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
once you get your "developer" badge here on F95 you get access to the secret subforum where all this stuff is discussed extensively.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
I know many devs rely on donations, patreon, subscribestar, or just donations. What about the devs who release their games as a priced product, whether it be on Steam or itch.io? Is there a certain criteria to be met, or does it just depend on how every dev is feeling?
Copying the other devs as Lerd0 said is the right answer.

You don't want to price it too low (1 dollar, 2 dollars) to not make the game look too cheap and pointless, you need to price it enough to value your work and not undersell it.
However, if your game is a short turd, you're better off just putting it free to get visibility on your Patreon instead, rather than getting a couple of dollars.

So, the game needs to be somewhat lengthy and of quality, and the usual price range for that is between 10 to 15 dollars.
Some sell it for 5 dollars, but they're most likely beginners that need to prove themselves and as they release more and more content, the price will go up.

Anything above 15 dollars is already too expensive unless the game is some amazing experience crafted by a God.

xell_

Game Developer
Aug 22, 2017
I know many devs rely on donations, patreon, or subscribestar. What about the devs who release their games as a priced product, whether it be on Steam or itch.io? Is there a certain criteria to be met, or does it just depend on how every dev is feeling?
1-5-10-15-25-50-80(10)-120(1)
1$ is good amount for start because not everyone is rich, but they want to support their favorite game, $1 is a good option for them. I think it's important to win people's hearts too. If your game is good, they will support you anyway.

Reactions: saifmangawy

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
1-5-10-15-25-50-80(10)-120(1)
1$ is good amount for start because not everyone is rich, but they want to support their favorite game, $1 is a good option for them. I think it's important to win people's hearts too. If your game is good, they will support you anyway.
A shop is not a crowdfunding. A shop is a shop, you do not price games because "not everyone is rich".

Reactions: saifmangawy

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
There's a pattern if you pay attention, especially if you're eyeing Steam. Most unfinished/EA games on Steam are in the ballpark of $8-$10, whereas a finished/completed game (or a Season/Book 1) will be in the ballpark of $13.99/$14.99, depending on the amount of content featured.

Patreon is a little more varied from dev to dev. I've been complimented a fair bit on my release pattern for Patreon tiers, which are staggered weekly releases per tier throughout the month. Highest tier ($75+) get it a month early, then a week later the next tier(s) get it, and so forth until the public release hits near the end of that month. Not only does that give me time to fix bugs that pop up or edit missed types, or anything of that nature, it allows people to support at what they can afford while not being entirely cut off from the benefits of each tier.

Edit: Only offer the $1 tier as a tip jar on Patreon/SS, no benefits beyond wallpapers or maybe polls. Reason being that by the time Patreon takes their cut, you're seeing very little of it. Add PayPal's fees to that and you're looking at next to nothing.