Holiday Island [v0.1.4] [darkhound1] - General discussions and information

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bantry

Forum Fanatic
Oct 24, 2017
I'm posting here because I know the majority of idiots don't know of this thread and won't see it. Sorry, I have no patience for the dumb, unwashed masses that can't read the Guide/FAQ or do a simple search. If they are freaking out over 5 errors that occur after the initial release of 0.1.5.0, then I hope they delete the game and move onto something else.

@darkhound1, you have out done yourself! Awesome update. Other than my inherent suckiness at quarters, I love everything. Just one minor oversight on your part that I ran across. If there is going to be a placeholder for the Yumiko 'Easter Egg' achievement, shouldn't there also be one for Ivy's?

rooney10

Apr 29, 2018
I'm posting here because I know the majority of idiots don't know of this thread and won't see it. Sorry, I have no patience for the dumb, unwashed masses that can't read the Guide/FAQ or do a simple search. If they are freaking out over 5 errors that occur after the initial release of 0.1.5.0, then I hope they delete the game and move onto something else...
I feel you Bantry and echo this. Grinds my gears when some lazy douche nozzle bounces in w/the tired "How I fuck the girls?" line.

Also allow me to shower compliments on @darkhound1 for continually building upon the greatness that is HI. With so few games that continually improve over time, our dev ALWAYS delivers. To be fair, I had quite a few buggy wtf errors w/1.5.0 (which is highly unusual btw) but it was beta FFS! Since most of my errors were repeats that had been posted, I simply sat back and had faith in the process.

Which brings me to my second dev compliment. I knew a pro like @darkhound1 would resolve any bugs/issues in a timely manner but to knock it all out literally in a matter of hours and then post a clean update the next day...is...fucking...PHENOMENAL! So well done @darkhound1 for once again delivering on both the creative and technical sides of the game. Brilliant really.

junior366

Jun 20, 2017
You do realize that if that picture is on your wall and you stare at it to long, one of two things will happen. You'll either go blind or your right arm will fall off. Maybe both!
Or you will go blind and your right or left arm will look like Ivy's! That's why it helps to be ambidextrous, still doesn't help your eyesight though!

Reactions: Bantry

junior366

Jun 20, 2017
I know @darkhound1 has said no more new girls, it seems most of the girls have sisters, and Jessica says she has a younger sister and a mother who would love the place and they are VERY close! Damn, that gets a perv to thinking perverted thoughts!

partanen

Selectively Active Member
Uploader
Donor
Sep 13, 2017
Ok, I really shouldn't say this but I can't resist: What!?! Do you think we're all left-handed and play one-handed?!?
Shame on you, weirdos, stop shaking hand with yourselves and zip your pants :devilish:;):D.
Only adjustment I need to do in my belongings to play Holiday Island and several other games from this site is turn display brightness down and make sure there is no one right behind me if I'm in some public place. As I often am...;D.

Wilson NE

May 12, 2018
What are your feelings about Hotshots balance? I mean, in order to reach the hot ending, you find it too hard, too easy, more or less well balanced?

Try to answer in a game logic way, I mean nothing like "it's too hard because I only want to win always" :)

The game is designed to be almost imposible to succeed in low conditions (low girl attractiveness, low both lust, low player endurance, etc...). To be challenging but winable in medium conditions. And to be easy but still losable in high conditions (high girl attractiveness, high both endurance, high both lust, etc...)

Bantry

Forum Fanatic
Oct 24, 2017
What are your feelings about Hotshots balance? I mean, in order to reach the hot ending, you find it too hard, too easy, more or less well balanced?

Try to answer in a game logic way, I mean nothing like "it's too hard because I only want to win always" :)

The game is designed to be almost imposible to succeed in low conditions (low girl attractiveness, low both lust, low player endurance, etc...). To be challenging but winable in medium conditions. And to be easy but still losable in high conditions (high girl attractiveness, high both endurance, high both lust, etc...)
Speaking only for myself, I like it. Granted I play with most stats at max levels so it isn't too hard. It should also be noted that I am not a huge fan of mini-games. I'm not one to keep playing them over and over again. I would think it is easier to do 'Hotshot' stories/scenes for some of the girls who are lower in the polls. My biggest fear is that @darkhound1 spends too much time creating stories and renders for 'Hotshots' while neglecting some of the other story lines he has discussed and proposed for future releases.

Reactions: junior366

waldo1

Jan 21, 2019
I'm posting here because I know the majority of idiots don't know of this thread and won't see it. Sorry, I have no patience for the dumb, unwashed masses that can't read the Guide/FAQ or do a simple search. If they are freaking out over 5 errors that occur after the initial release of 0.1.5.0, then I hope they delete the game and move onto something else.

@darkhound1, you have out done yourself! Awesome update. Other than my inherent suckiness at quarters, I love everything. Just one minor oversight on your part that I ran across. If there is going to be a placeholder for the Yumiko 'Easter Egg' achievement, shouldn't there also be one for Ivy's?
Yes, a great game darkhound

No one asked your hopes bantry

Reactions: brianiac

darkhound1

Game Developer
Aug 8, 2017
Speaking only for myself, I like it. Granted I play with most stats at max levels so it isn't too hard. It should also be noted that I am not a huge fan of mini-games. I'm not one to keep playing them over and over again. I would think it is easier to do 'Hotshot' stories/scenes for some of the girls who are lower in the polls. My biggest fear is that @darkhound1 spends too much time creating stories and renders for 'Hotshots' while neglecting some of the other story lines he has discussed and proposed for future releases.
Personally I hate mini-games passionately. In most games they are done to annoy the player and/or to grind money.
I don't see "Hot Shots" or the poker game in Holiday Island as a mini game. They are fun and rewarding in itself and are a part of the game just like any other scene. In "Hot Shots" you learn something about the girls, see them mostly naked and can get some hot scenes as well.
Holiday Island is not a VN and as a sandbox game, it needs sandbox elements that are good and fun to do.
That's also one of the reasons I'm upgrading the more repetitive older scenes like e.g. the workouts and improve the new ones and spice them up. Like you have seen with Faye's workout scene in the last update and as you will see with her new workout scene as well.
What type of content an update will have, depends on several things. But the main point is "me". Meaning I need to be creative and motivated to do complex scenes that drive the story. Right now I'm not much of any of those two. So you get more shorter scenes where I can sometimes "just render". I have a full time job and it's hard enough to find enough time to work on the game. If I don't at least sometimes do what I feel like at the moment, I won't do anything in the long run. I guess no one wants that :)

I think someone mentioned it here or maybe on the main thread, but that Amy Hotshots outfit is utterly amazing. Wouldn't make me mad to see her parading around the island in that get up more often. Maybe a post Hotshots invite to the private room someday?
Thanks. I also like Amy's outfit. But I hope you like the one for Yvette and Aly too :)
There are so many unfinished things right now, I really don't know what to do first. If I keep adding things, the sitation won't get any better. Maybe we could have a short scene like a photo shot or something like that.

Is it possible to get option to buy one left Picture Frame more to new room, @darkhound1? ;-D Or one with more vertical space...
It was a hell of a lot of work to create the picture frames with all the zoom and move options. Right now I don't want to spend more time on new ones. Maybe much later.

Thanks and yes, I will add the Ivy easter egg too. I need to change the text display to do that, which takes time. I'd like to have a different text when you haven't seen the scene yet in order to avoid spoilers.

Some other stuff:
  • I've got a brand new PC now. Render speed is about 1.6 or 1.7 times faster compared to my old rig.
    i7 9700K with 32GB of RAM and 2TB of SSD storage. Meaning I can do more high res images with better quality :)
  • I'm working on a new very much improved dialogue system for more dynamic texts. This will be used when talking to girls about island, herself, etc. It allows for unlimited back and forth chat between the player and a girl. Including stuff like lust change, affection change and also having the girls tell you her measurements and make them known to the player after that. it will take some time to write more dialogue and to convert the existing on to the new system. It's also designed in a way, that for every "group of talks", every conversation will be used once, before they start to repeat again.
    The system also allows for girl specif conversations, general ones and "place holders" that will be used for girls that do not have specific conversations for a certain topic.

Puppet Master

Aug 21, 2018
Call out for help to Wilson NE:

I think that I broke Yumiko's "Guess who?" mini-game. She sent me 2 pics then stopped for 30 days. Any way I can get her to start up again? I talked to her at the night bar and asked her to stop, then I asked her to start again. I had no erection twice at last call but that didn't fix it. I thought that there might be a code I could enter to make it start up again.

Darkhound1 told me that there was but that he didn't create that part of the code, you did. Could you search and let me know if you find something.

Wilson NE

May 12, 2018
Call out for help to Wilson NE:

I think that I broke Yumiko's "Guess who?" mini-game. She sent me 2 pics then stopped for 30 days. Any way I can get her to start up again? I talked to her at the night bar and asked her to stop, then I asked her to start again. I had no erection twice at last call but that didn't fix it. I thought that there might be a code I could enter to make it start up again.

Darkhound1 told me that there was but that he didn't create that part of the code, you did. Could you search and let me know if you find something.
Sure... PM me with your savegame and I check your variable status. Maybe I'll be able to guess why broke.

Status
Not open for further replies.