Ren'Py Hiding Folder Files?

xrknz

Game Developer
Apr 28, 2024
There's a (simple) way to hide or encrypt files and galleries in game directory?

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
Depending on your thinking, this post is a simple answer to your question.

It does everything Winterfire was pointing you toward and might be seen as a little complicated to read if you can't follow it. On the "simple" side, all you need to do is copy/paste it into your own game's options.rpy file.

(You might want to remove the lines that refer to either "patreon" or "bonus" - since that was the point of that particular post, as those lines likely don't apply to your game... unless you too are wanting "Patreon only" content).

Reactions: xrknz

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
There's a (simple) way to hide or encrypt files and galleries in game directory?
Emphasis is mine

Hmm... Because it can be a mandatory condition for some content (copyrighted music by example), I guess that the, correct, answers gave above need to be weighted:

The fact to group the files into a RPA archive do not mean that the files are protected or unavailable. They'll be out of reach of most players, but most advanced ones will still be able to extract them from the archive.
And, while some dev continue to believe that it worth it, changing the method used to build the RPA, or things like that will not add more protection. It will just limit a bit more the number of people able to extract the content of the archive ; and not even complicate that task.

There's no way to have a Ren'Py game with protected content. Whatever how complicated will be the method you'll use, Ren'Py itself will need to be able to revert it, in order to use the said content. And like Ren'Py is fully made in Python, the user will always have access to that reversion method.

And I really mean "no way". RPYC files can be reverted to their source, as well as PY/PYO ones ; therefore the code will still be available. Even if the said code is obfuscated, it will just be more difficult to understand, not impossible to understand.
At most, you can hide the encryption/decryption method in a library, and therefore have it compiled. But there will be a moment when Ren'Py will have to access it, so to address the library, what will give away the method to access the decrypted content.

xrknz

Game Developer
Apr 28, 2024
It's a philosophical question: Is the will of the player or the creator more important?
Personally, I always peek at files but I ruin the surprise