Help with LiveMaker Extraction

DegenerateSensei

Dec 30, 2017
Figured it out. Here's a guide for Windows.

1. Install the latest version of Python. I have personally confirmed 3.9 and 3.11.1 have worked. Make sure you select to have it install PATH.
2. Install . When it runs, select MSVC v140 - VS 2015 C++build tools (v14.00) under Individual Components
3. Download the version of for your version of Python. I'm currently on Python 3.11.1, so I downloaded lxml‑4.9.0‑cp311‑cp311‑win_amd64.whl
As an example of the command you'll input into CMD​
pip install C:\"download directory"\lxml‑4.9.0‑cp311‑cp311‑win_amd64.whl​
4. Now it's finally time for pip install pylivemaker
And you should finally be able to execute scripts from pylivemaker.
The only important command I use is
lmar x game.ext -o extracted_files
You should have the necessary .ext .dat and .exe files in the same folder when doing this. Then the command will output to a folder named "extracted_files"
In the event you don't have a game.ext or you have a game.dat and game.001, use game.dat
Hope this helps.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:
Reactions: CAT0X0 and SpAqMy

DegenerateSensei

Dec 30, 2017
Nevermind. I figured it out. I feel really incompetent now.
If a developer using the LiveMaker engine doesn't scramble the .dat file then you can just take them via MultiExtractor.
However, @OZ scrambles the data so MultiExtractor only finds an extension but no data to go with it.
I figured out and got the missing libraries I needed to run pylivemaker and used it on the .ext file which someone on ULMF 8 years ago reported as containing the tables needed to grab data properly from the .dat

I nearly gave up thinking it was some custom version of LiveMaker with encryption or a unique baked property.

It also turns out UniExtractor can get the data from a scrambled file but of course they're still scrambled so they don't actually work.

Reactions: SpAqMy

hoolighan

Oct 26, 2017
I think you've had more luck getting the damn thing to work than me, I'm much like you in the sense that I don't know a whole lot about Python in general, but in my case I can't even get pylivemaker to do anything at all. I've installed the packages and followed directions as per the documentation at

But whenever I try to read or extract any game file, all I get in the command line is:

Code:
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>>> $ lmar l game.ext
  File "<stdin>", line 1
    $ lmar l game.ext
    ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
This is when done by loading python first using the python command.

Alternatively, if I try to load a tool directly into the command line:

Code:
C:\Users\User>C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Packages\PythonSoftwareFoundation.Python.3.9_qbz5n2kfra8p0\LocalCache\local-packages\Python39\Scripts\lmar.exe l game.exe
Usage: lmar l [OPTIONS] INPUT_FILE
Try 'lmar l --help' for help.

Error: Invalid value for 'INPUT_FILE': File 'game.exe' does not exist.
Doesn't matter what I subsitute the "game.exe" for, no matter the filepath, it will not detect anything.

What am I doing wrong?

hoolighan

Oct 26, 2017
t1.png

"x" is an invalid command in python. How are you making it work?

What program are you using and what prep are you doing (do you need to load the lmar module into python before it can work? or are there any prior steps not mentioned in the documentation that I'm missing?)

DegenerateSensei

Dec 30, 2017
I'm executing the commands through CMD on Windows 10 with Python 3.9 currently installed. Screenshot 2021-02-06 195740.png
^That's what I'm given if I just type
lmar
with no further instructions.

Aug 12, 2022
I've had the same issue. I've been trying to translate and extract a LiveMaker game using the python scripts but it keeps giving me invalid syntax errors and stuff. I'm an idiot when it comes to python or scripting in general, but I wish there was an easier way to translate LiveMaker games.

HNTR1

Apr 26, 2022
I've had the same issue. I've been trying to translate and extract a LiveMaker game using the python scripts but it keeps giving me invalid syntax errors and stuff. I'm an idiot when it comes to python or scripting in general, but I wish there was an easier way to translate LiveMaker games.
You can extract livemaker Game (.exe, .dat) with Garbro. But I don't know how to repackage it, if you have any idea let me know

Aug 12, 2022
Ok, I have good news.

So I decided to retry the pylivemaker scripts and it worked. The lmar command doesn't work, but every other command (like the lmlsb command) works.
So if you want to translate a Livemaker game, use a program like Garbro to extract the files from the exe file first, then do the lmlsb steps instead of using lmar to extract the files.

daslhotiasth

Nov 20, 2017
Any idea how to repackage the extracted files from Garbro?
pylivemaker didn't work for me.

Code:
$ lmpatch ../temp/game.dat 000002E4.lsb
2022-10-08 15:39:24.693 | ERROR    | livemaker.cli.lmpatch:lmpatch:76 - Failed to parse VF directory: Error in path (parsing) -> signature
parsing expected b'vf' but parsed b'x\x9c'
Nevermind, according to , livemaker games can run with unpacked files.
My intention was just to patch an lsb file to unlock cgs.

Last edited:

DegenerateSensei

Dec 30, 2017
Had this thread on watched but never got notifications for it.
But I've updated the original post with instructions on installing pylivemaker on Windows systems.
I did this from a relatively fresh install of Windows so hopefully Python isn't missing extra visual studio dependencies. But you should simply be able to read the last few lines of the error output to determine what needs installing if that's the case.

Regisbolg

Jan 3, 2019
Me here having problem too, lmar program isn't working it just says "Click..." doesn't exist or something, i installed python 3.11 read and reread everything to see if i missed something and nothing... if i make it work i might make a video teaching how to actually make it work for other people to use too.

CAT0X0

Jul 26, 2019
Besides the path where you installed Python:

C:\Program Files\Python311

you must also add in the environment variables the path where those python scripts (lmar.exe, lmlpb.exe, etc) from pylivemaker were installed:

C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Roaming\Python\Python311\Scripts

so that it will find those pylivemaker commands when you run them in the CMD

Cioppi

Apr 23, 2022
hi guys i'm pretty with translating novel but i wanted to now after i extracted the game Garbro what i have to do like i don't understand

ndj865

Dec 22, 2017
Hello guys, I see that you are manually extracting data from LiveMaker game engine to translate it.
I have found a batch file on pylivemaker github that can extract and return data from LiveMaker game engine.
With that batch file I translated some LiveMaker games.

Last edited: