2D Help me to improve ! Finn's Art

Finn_Nsfw

Nov 17, 2020
Hey Im Finn, a novice 2D Artist. My goal is to be able to make dating/Visual novel adult games 's art (and simple animation too) so any advices would be appreciated, i will post regularly on this thread.

My twitter :

Last edited:

NoxAeternae

Jul 8, 2018
Your color and linework is pretty okay but your fundamentals are lacking. I think you would see the biggest improvement if you focus on form and proportions. For form, try drawing very simple shapes like cubes and cylinders and apply what you learn to the human body. In it's simplest form, the human body can be broken down into very simple shapes so this would help your overall shapes. For proportions, I would recommend using an anatomy book and really studying how different parts of the body relate to each other in terms of length, width and volume.

Finn_Nsfw

Nov 17, 2020
Ty for you reply! I agree my anatomy is lacking.I already tried to study with proko video for example and some pinterest anatomy studies but didnt work for me or maybe i just have to try harder. Besides, im interest if you have good ressource or method to learn efficiently anatomy, im a bit confused about how i have to approach anatomy.

NoxAeternae

Jul 8, 2018
Don't focus on anatomy yet, anatomy comes after form and proportion as it depends on those two fundamentals. There's this very old and very popular book called "Figure drawing for all it's worth" by Andrew Loomis and you can easily find a pdf online. It's pretty confusing and difficult to understand but the drawings in it are perfect for study. So I'd recommend not reading the text but trying to copy the figures paying particular attention to proportion. Bridgman's Complete guide to figure drawing is a great book for learning how to abstract anatomical shapes but it's even more confusing than the first book so I'd recommend you check that one out only after you are comfortable with your proportions. But what helped me the most when I was struggling with the figure and what I think might help you is to use a manikin drawing. It's basically breaking the body into simple shaping, for example the torso as a box, the pelvis as another box and the limbs as cylinders. Alphonso Dunn has a great video about that on his youtube channel.

for the video I'm talking about.

Reactions: Badzone

NoxAeternae

Jul 8, 2018
I would also highly suggest you check out these two videos.

and

While these videos aren't really lessons, they outline a path for a beginner to improve themselves from the viewpoint of a veteran in the art industry. Feng Zhu is pretty much a legend so his youtube channel is filled with gems but especially those two videos should help you out if you're unsure about how and what to study to improve your art.

Reactions: Badzone

NoxAeternae

Jul 8, 2018
No problem, always happy to help. I've struggled a lot when I was just beginning because I had no idea what to do. One extra advice I would have for you if you'll have it is that do the boring stuff. When I first got into art all I wanted to do was draw my favorite anime characters, draw my own characters etc. I didn't want to do the boring, basic stuff like drawing simple shapes and I've had a lot of problems later on. At the start of this pandemic, around march I think, I went back into the basics and started doing the boring stuff after 10 years of drawing and honestly the progress I've made since is like triple that of what I've done in the last 3 years.