Ren'Py Help for building environment in my game

Parsion

Jun 11, 2017
Hi guys, my game goes well, instead I want the player have the choice to explore every room in the house.

At the beginning at the story, the player has to click on the front door to enter the house.
And then in the house, he can go everywhere just by cliking in areas, like Summertime saga in every house. You want to go upstairs ? click on the stairs, you know what i mean ?

My art is fully 2D art. I'm drawing all the characters and the backgrounds, and i use some real pictures to create the house.

If I can put that gameplay in my game that will be great.

Studio Errilhl

Game Developer
Oct 16, 2017
That's not that difficult. You will need to create imagemaps, or use imagebuttons, to be able to highlight and click parts of the background. When you click, you will load another instance, with new places to click. You can even have a confirm (yes/no) when you click something, to avoid having the user going back and forth if clicking wrong. And you can have off-limit places, like a room the player can't enter, if certain conditions aren't met, and so on.

Parsion

Jun 11, 2017
That's not that difficult. You will need to create imagemaps, or use imagebuttons, to be able to highlight and click parts of the background. When you click, you will load another instance, with new places to click. You can even have a confirm (yes/no) when you click something, to avoid having the user going back and forth if clicking wrong. And you can have off-limit places, like a room the player can't enter, if certain conditions aren't met, and so on.
or can I access to imagemaps/imagebuttons, it's in scripts.rpy ?

Studio Errilhl

Game Developer
Oct 16, 2017
I suggest you read up on Ren'Py - the documentation is a bit shoddy, but you can find it here: and I also suggest you take a look at the Lemmasoft forum, where you'll find both quite a bit of useful code and examples, but also people that use Ren'Py a lot, even the creator of Ren'Py. You should be able to find more information there. The link to the forums are:

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
More explictly of the documentation. You can also use to access Summertime Saga source code and look how they did it. I don't know if they use image map or image button, so search for "Imagebutton" and "Imagemap" on the rpy files.