VN Ren'Py Have you tried it? -> "JASON Coming of Age"

Lexie lecoeur

Game Developer
Sep 18, 2021
Hello everyone, I'm opening this post to talk to you about a game that I'm currently developing. I am French and I have partnered with an American from California to offer you a high-quality and enjoyable scenario. In this adventure, you play as a young man who enters adulthood. The game begins with his move to a small apartment on the outskirts of the city. From that moment on, he quickly realizes that something is not right. The girls around him look at him differently, his thoughts are confused as he can't help but think about sex, and this leads him into unexpected situations. If you're looking for a beautiful, realistic game filled with details, "JASON: Coming of Age" is made for you! Try it out and let me know what you think, I'm sure you'll be amazed.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Try it out and let me know what you think, I'm sure you'll be amazed.
The game is not bad, far from this. The CGs are effectively realistic (probably too realistic for some with who it will hit the uncanny valley), and not to displeasing to see. The writing is not bad, but have way too much internal thoughts for my liking ; but to be honest there's so way worse. As for the story, it's relatively interesting.

But if you really expected that I'll be amazed, sorry but it's not the case.

I finally tried it last time it was updated, so more or less one month ago. I never tried it before because I never really felt appealed. And to be honest I still wasn't when I tried it, it's just that for once it was released at a low moment. And, while I saw the positive points listed above, I'm also still considering if I'll continue to play it or not.

The story progression is slower than a snail.

I'm not talking about the lewd, but effectively about the story. The game is near to two years old, being at it's 0.7.2 update, and when I reached the current end I wasn't totally sure that the story is fully installed.
Not only Jason just discovered what effectively is his ability, but he's also clearly still not sure if he want to use it or not. As for the main secondary characters, their installation ended not so long ago. The game dedicate way too much time to Jason moving, what make the slowness even more sensible, and the game a bit boring. It's also not a good omen regarding the future, since it make the player expect other scenes that will fill relatively useless and side way more on the filler side than on the story one.

This while the installation of the story itself fell like it still miss a point or two, and therefore isn't still finished. The few hints telling why Jason moved to the perfect place, or the worse possible one, depend on the point of view, are really diluted. I'm relatively sure that a large majority of the players totally missed them ; to be totally fair, I'm not even sure myself to have read the story right.
The problem is that it harm the game, because those players also don't understand what is the interest of those particular scenes that, apparently, are totally unrelated with Jason, and so with the story. This make those scenes feel totally useless and make the said players wonder if you even know what you are doing ; this while, yes, unless I'm totally misreading it, you clearly know it, just that it's still too soon for everyone to see it.

It's the writing style that impose that, and by itself it's not necessarily bad, or more precisely it wouldn't be necessarily bad if it wasn't an adult game, especially one released by updates. With the consequent, at least in number, concurrence, you need to quickly install everything, for the potential players to know if the game will effectively interest them or not.
It would have been better if Jason had moved on his own, with a mattress and something to serve as table, passing the first week discovering his surrounding and co-workers, then his friends helped him to move all his belonging the following week-end. Most of the story and characters would have then be installed early enough, while all the scenes would still have been there.

The second issue is that the game is built like a movie, full third person view point.

And when I say "full", I really mean "full". There's scenes with Lexi at her home where Jason isn't involved at all. There's scene with Marvin where Jason isn't involved at all. And, of course, there's those particular scenes I talked about above, that matters for the story, but where none of he three are involved.
Once again, it's the writing style that impose that, and inherently it's not necessarily bad. But once again not really for this kind of game, once again especially when released by update. The vast majority of the potential players aren't expecting this from such game what, once again, harm the pace of the story, making it even more slower than it already is.
Worse, because of the slow pace, all the scenes not involving Jason feel like fillers that exist solely to milk the game as long as possible. What this time harm the game itself.

The whole isn't bad, and I feel that it will be interesting to play... but only once it will be finished. In between, personally I don't really see an interest in playing it more than once a year, perhaps twice now that almost everything is finally installed.
And it's a shame, because with a better space, it would have its place among the best games available. But it's too late now to change this. It would be a U turn in the writing and totally break the interest of the game.