• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.
3.90 star(s) 11 Votes

Violet_Rain

Jan 1, 2020
New post from Ker on Blogger.

When I came back, I said it would be quite a while before I would/could decide if I would return to developing Harem. Part of that is me figuring out if I even can do so, I deleted my 3dcg installation before my attempt and much of it is irreplaceable. While I community member did offer their copy and I do have some mods from it still stored, I have lost many of the mods, and all of the models and scenes used to create the game.

So I’ve been looking into different, more modern, imaging programs. I played a bit with the COM3D2 and wasn’t especially impressed with the variation of models it can create and the size of the mod community. Tried HS2 and was far more impressed with both its modding community and studio program. While stylistically it’s far from the VX ACE design and 3dcg, the results are very good. I’ve always been very sensitive to uncanny valley issues in imagers but so far I’ve been able to clear the valley and been happy with the results.

I’ve spent a few days this last week recreating characters and scenes from Harem and would like to share them with you all for feedback. Not as much as technical issues like clipping and lighting, but what you think about the models replace the 3dcg models and the mechanics of the scenes. And what you’d think if I were to use a more photo-realistic imager instead of the more anime-styled 3dcg or CMD32.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: UnDeaD_CyBorG

UnDeaD_CyBorG

Apr 6, 2018
I somehow doubt that it's possible easy to transfer the atmosphere of the game to a different engine.
Might have been better to just use a data recovery option and hope for the best. Quality or not, the game's been around for so long, and been enjoyed by so many people, that any new view on it is sure to disappoint someone - as much as I'd want to see it continue. And there's been few people as talented at setting up visually believable scenes.
I doubt this is the time for it, but just starting a new project (maybe a short one to get a feel for things) could be a promising option.
That said, you go, ker! I'm looking forward to whatever comes of this.

• Red Heart
Reactions: FFTW

Wladi142

May 21, 2018
honestly the visuals are not as important as Kers talent in writing, making up storys and including all the small details to make it so alive.

But i have to agree that the new ones dont look as good as the old ones, but i would prefer 2D drawing anyway.

And to be honest im just happy that Ker is back

caju

Oct 5, 2017
It needed to be said and there isn't a constructive way to say it
Instead of saying they are all ugly, you could say "they could be more attractive"

Also: yeah, they are ugly. Ker had something unique, quirky, and beautifully original.
The reboot is just a reboot. It does reboot things in a reboot way. And it has reboot fanboys like every reboot.

RemoraDFC

Dec 7, 2017
I was always told that constructive criticism involves suggestions.

example: The new character models could use more work to make them appealing. Some work on the nipples to make them not protrude out so unnaturally. And the backgrounds used should be less advanced. Since the world is Medieval/Fantasy, faucets and running water in the kitchen is not a suitable choice of backgrounds.

That is constructive criticism. It provides suggestions. If there were no suggestions, then it is not constructive. It is only criticism.

That all being said, the Dev did ask for constructive criticism. So let's all help them. By being constructive. :giggle:

Kargan3033

Jan 2, 2020
example: The new character models could use more work to make them appealing. Some work on the nipples to make them not protrude out so unnaturally. And the backgrounds used should be less advanced. Since the world is Medieval/Fantasy, faucets and running water in the kitchen is not a suitable choice of backgrounds.
I agree, Ker if you are reading this I think that using the HS2 engine to update the pictures in this game is a good move, but the only thing I did not like about the experimental pictures was the elemental markings on Terra's face and the redish hue of Naomi's skin, but other then that I think you have a good idea of updating the pictures with the HS2 system.

Also thank you for your hard work in creating this fine game, will be following this game thread, do you have a Discord group?

UnDeaD_CyBorG

Apr 6, 2018
Thinking about it, maybe ker could just make a cut where Harem stopped, and continue with a second installment in a new engine? That way, the story can be told, and changes in visuals would make more sense for previous players. Admittedly, it preserves the cut for future generations, but everyone should have a chance to become a historian. :p

Reactions: Kargan3033

Idontknowme

Game Developer
Nov 12, 2016
sam&donna_edit.jpg saranteraedit.jpg
An archaelogist digging through the site at Rata found this. Does anybody recognize them?

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: FFTW

Kargan3033

Jan 2, 2020
i can not state it more than i have, that it is waaaaaaaaaaay more important that Ker writes the continuation of the story, than the to art-style.

Ker has such a rare literaric talent. that is would be such a shame if he stoped writing
I agree, story before art because the Harem story is a work of art.

Reactions: Gorby200

Muff Diver

Gaming Legend & LoneWolf
Respected User
Donor
Former Staff
Aug 18, 2016
FOR MEMBERS,
Those asking KER to please finish the game or do a remake or if one has been started. PLEASE take a moment to think about someone else other than yourself and a damn game.

Here is a man, that has attempted suicide and survived and shared his struggle's, and explained that he doesn't know if he is going to restart development or not. While he continues with mental heath issues and seeking help for it.

But Muff Diver is he putting out Unreleased scenes & Experimental scenes, i'm sure he is attempting to keep a little busy so he doesn't slip back into BAD thought's and Destructive thoughts in his mind......

NOW i'm I am sure with all the member's on this site that some have gone though similar heath issues like Depression, anxiety or even suicide. Especially with the Cov-id isolation we have all experienced... Muff Diver what do you know your talking out your A*SE, Lets say i have my experience.

Reactions: Sendero
3.90 star(s) 11 Votes