GPU problems

MrJet

Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2017
Hey, guys!

Decided to update the nvidia driver and everything became very bad.

I have two graphics cards 1080 and 2080 ti, before I had a driver version 419.17 and everything worked fine. The temperature at maximum loads did not rise above 72-73 degrees. Updated the driver and now the temperature began to rise at an incredible pace. In 2-3 minutes of rendering it reaches 82-83 degrees, which is obviously abnormal. And this applies not only to the render, in the games (Metro Exodus) temperature increased by the same amount. The funny thing is that if I get out of the motherboard 1080, the temperature of the second card immediately becomes normal (66-68). Tried to roll back the driver, but the problem did not disappear. Also tried earlier drivers but they give out the same problem. I can't figure out what I'm missing. Obviously the hardware is all okay and it's in the drivers. Or correct me if I'm wrong.

No one has faced such a problem?

PS: When I reinstalled the drivers, I removed them completely. Even found on Reddit some program Display Driver Uninstaller.
GPU#1 - Gigabyte 1080 WINDFORCE OC 8gb
GPU#2- Gigabyte 2080ti Gaming OC 11gb
Windows 10 (64)

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
82-83c is a pretty normal range, GPUs can handle this much heat... Over 90c is dangerous.

MrJet

Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2017
Thank you for responding. But before the driver update the temperature was lower with the same hardware. And everything worked fast enough, as it should. Plus, when the computer inserted one RTX 2080ti its temperature 66-68 degrees. So why, when I insert the second it jumps almost 20 degrees.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Yeah it is fairly normal, having two GPUs means less ventilation, even if you have a tower and you carefully placed them to allow the most efficient way for them to cool down, it will never have the same temperature as a single GPU.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Anyways if you think there is a correlation between the driver update and your GPUs rising temperature, especially if reverting them did not change anything, the only thing I can think about is that drivers edited some values so you could fix by setting factory values back, something like this:

-edit-
Spring/Summer is also approaching, room's temperature and the location of your tower also impacts the temperature, the driver's update could be just a coincidence imho.

MrJet

Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2017
Look, here are the GPU readings after 10 minutes of rendering. It turns out this is quite normal?
PS:The computer case was opened.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Looks pretty normal to me as far as it stays in that range, even with the case open the temperature will rise, especially if they are close.

If you think drivers have something to do with it, you should write in Nvidia forums or use the debug mode to set the values back to factory

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
another one with updated gpu-z, still the same scene running. I'm not a hardware pro, but I'm quite sure the RTX should show better results than my 1070 o_O
hgvbj.gif

Walg

Visual art is my magnet. Currently inactive
GFX Designer
Donor
Oct 5, 2018
another one with updated gpu-z, still the same scene running. I'm not a hardware pro, but I'm quite sure the RTX should show better results than my 1070 o_O
View attachment 264211
No unfortunately that's not right. The boost clock of the 2080Ti for a "standard" oc card is around 1650 ~ 1800 but obviously destroys a 1070 with the number of CUDA cores so renders better and quicker. @MrJet's standard boost clock without the use of Afterburner is 1665.

How is the temp when idle ??
I get what you're getting at but idle temp's not going to be as helpful when the card melts from standard usage.

@MrJet, I've heard/read that the 2080Ti's run hot regardless (I've heard them run at the 82-83 as you mentioned but that's supposed to be stable) even though you said it runs at 66-68 so I'm surprised that the old drivers were working so much better. I don't have a 2080Ti but have you looked at whether the new drivers activated any ray tracing support for Daz? That might be part of the issue.

Also, can I ask what's your PSU? What I'm thinking is because your 2080Ti draws around 250w and NVidia recommends 650w just for the 2080Ti that you might not have enough power so it's running hotter to get the required wattage.

MrJet

Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2017
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
My PSU is Corsair RM850X (2018).

And I don't know much about this stuff. I tried to use DeBug, but the results are sort of the same. However, after working for 20 minutes, the temperature dropped by 2 degrees, which was 80-82. (but maybe that's because of the open window :ROFLMAO:) Also I tried to disable the graphics card 1080 and the temperature dropped to 74-75. And if I take it out of the computer case then 66-67.

In the end, I have this:

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
No unfortunately that's not right. The boost clock of the 2080Ti for a "standard" oc card is around 1650 ~ 1800 but obviously destroys a 1070 with the number of CUDA cores so renders better and quicker.
Ah yeah I forgot about the cores lol. The RTX has more then the double core count.

Walg

GFX Designer
Donor
Oct 5, 2018
My PSU is Corsair RM850X (2018).

And I don't know much about this stuff. I tried to use DeBug, but the results are sort of the same. However, after working for 20 minutes, the temperature dropped by 2 degrees, which was 80-82. (but maybe that's because of the open window :ROFLMAO:) Also I tried to disable the graphics card 1080 and the temperature dropped to 74-75. And if I take it out of the computer case then 66-67.

In the end, I have this:
Hmm. The 850 should be fine and it's a Corsair too. The recommended PSU for your 1080 is 500w but runs at around 180w and for your 2080Ti a 650w is recommended but uses around 250w so your 850w should give your system enough. Hmmmm ok that rules out my suspicion.

Understandable if you take out your 1080 that it runs much cooler but I can't understand how your older drivers were having it work to lower temperatures as I've read in many places that high 70's/low 80's are about the standard stable temperatures for your 2080Ti. The only other thing I can think about is if you wanted to use MSI Afterburner to restrict the wattage to your card/set your max temperature which would make the performance go down but you get to control the wattage and max temperature.

Ah yeah I forgot about the cores lol. The RTX has more then the double core count.
Yeah so it's not all about boost clock. Unfortunately @MrJet's card is known to run hot but I don't understand how it was previously cooler.

Reactions: recreation

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
If the 1080 sucks the air from the rtx it might help to swap the cards slots?

Walg

GFX Designer
Donor
Oct 5, 2018
If the 1080 sucks the air from the rtx it might help to swap the cards slots?
Possibly but the 2080's known to run hot regardless so I don't know how much of a difference it'd make. I'd think Afterburner would be a better solution and safer too.

The best solution would be getting an EATX card and attaching an AIO to the 2080Ti but that costs way too much money especially if you need a new case for the EATX so I'm still going to say Afterburner.

Jan 24, 2019
What case are you using and is it properly ventilated with the fans pointing in the right direction? Contrary to popular belief, pumping hot air around inside the case doesn't cool your cards. Also check if the fans on the cards are actually running at full speed like it says in the software.

MrJet

Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2017
What case are you using and is it properly ventilated with the fans pointing in the right direction? Contrary to popular belief, pumping hot air around inside the case doesn't cool your cards. Also check if the fans on the cards are actually running at full speed like it says in the software.
Right now, my computer case is completely open. And Yes, the fans are spinning as they should.

Dependable_223

Engaged Member
Jan 3, 2019
oh if it is 2080 RTX i think nvidia has many problems with the brach people card dying due to overheating try searching for this and you would see that this card has taken lots of heating discussion due to people card dying unexpectingly.

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
Look, here are the GPU readings after 10 minutes of rendering. It turns out this is quite normal?
PS:The computer case was opened.
Look at the "PerfCap Reason" section, there are too many colors there, something is limiting the performance of your GPU (at best only blue should come out, that's normal).

On the other hand, having the case open doesn't mean having good ventilation, only that the heat doesn't accumulate inside, but it's better to have good fans in front and behind (and above if you can) to create a good airflow and keep the system cooler, and in case of GPU, having a fan on the side helps a lot (note: my case doesn't have lateral fan but I checked with an external one that helps a lot ... I'm clear that the priority for my next case is that it is big and with a lot of fans, lol).