GPU Problems

Oppai Auteur

Developer of Old Friends and Public Transport
Game Developer
Mar 26, 2018
Tried to ask about this on my game's thread but none of the people there could give a solution so I hope I can get some help here

For the last few days I've had some GPU issues, at first due to where I live being hit with a massive heat wave and everything just being hot I assumed it was a simple overheating problem but it's persisted since things have cooled down

Basically before this problem Daz3d would use the GPU for renders no problem, could even have the batch render tool set up to do several over the course of the day no problem. But now it just defaults to the CPU for the complex renders, and also goes back into the CPU rendering when I use the batch tool, the only way I can get it to go back to the GPU rendering is to set up a render one at a time, restarting the program for each render.

When it came to the renders I understand they have to fit in the memory on the card and they actually did before this problem, but ever since this issue has started renders that fit into the memory now no longer do and just go straight to the CPU

The card is not old, in fact I've only had it for a couple of months so I don't think equipment age is the issue here

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this problem?

If you need more details just say and I'll try to provide it

Thanks guys :)

Palanto

Game Developer
Oct 4, 2017
Hmmm sounds like the VRAM is damaged, check if it still has it's max capability or if it's reduced now... might've been burned through... Or you changed something crazy in the settings which make the scenes now get out of memory. Like adding SSS or whatnot :) But I'm not a pro on rendering with DAZ so I might be totally wrong here :)

Oppai Auteur

Game Developer
Mar 26, 2018
Hmmm sounds like the VRAM is damaged, check if it still has it's max capability or if it's reduced now... might've been burned through... Or you changed something crazy in the settings which make the scenes now get out of memory. Like adding SSS or whatnot :) But I'm not a pro on rendering with DAZ so I might be totally wrong here :)
Triple checked the settings in Daz3d, they are the same so that is unlikely the cause of the issue

Not actually sure how to check the VRAM max capability, is there something specific I need to do?

Reactions: Palanto

epw14

Jun 28, 2017
Triple checked the settings in Daz3d, they are the same so that is unlikely the cause of the issue

Not actually sure how to check the VRAM max capability, is there something specific I need to do?
Press the Windows key + R, and type 'dxdiag': this will load the DirectX diagnostic tool. Go to the Display tab (make sure to select the 64bit version, if it is an option). You'll have a 'Display Memory (VRAM)' item that will tell you the max VRAM of your card (I have two GPUs, but it only shows info for the first card).

It seems to do an actual check of the hardware, but it may not, so it could be just reading a preset value from the card and not its actual VRAM, though ...

Oppai Auteur

Game Developer
Mar 26, 2018
Press the Windows key + R, and type 'dxdiag': this will load the DirectX diagnostic tool. Go to the Display tab (make sure to select the 64bit version, if it is an option). You'll have a 'Display Memory (VRAM)' item that will tell you the max VRAM of your card (I have two GPUs, but it only shows info for the first card).

It seems to do an actual check of the hardware, but it may not, so it could be just reading a preset value from the card and not its actual VRAM, though ...
Thanks man!

Did as you said and it tells me the GTX 1050ti max VRAM is 4018MB. Although I don't know if this is normal for this kind of card, the diagnostic tool says no problem found

Oppai Auteur

Game Developer
Mar 26, 2018
Well to do a stress test try something like this:
Thanks for the recommendation

Gave it a try but its seems I have to much memory to give an accurate result....at least I think that's what its saying, the English on the program you linked is unfortunately pretty poor

jw3583

Nov 22, 2017
Have you tried gaming with it? I had a problem a while ago where not enough power was being sent to my GPU, and the system would crash due to a lack of power from the PSU. I was gaming though and have not rendered ever I do however know it is very labor intensive.

download "furmark" it is a stress test for GPU's id add a link but have not posted three times.

epw14

Jun 28, 2017
You could purchase ' ' and run a full test on that: it will stress the hell out of your PC, but it'll give a verdict (or the PC will explode ...).

Or, if you have some video games, just run the one that is most demanding on the system/GPU ('Witcher 3'-era games): if it plays fine, then your GPU(s) should be okay (imo), and something else is the problem.

You could try downloading DAZ again and reinstalling it: I've done this once before when upgrading from 4.9 to 4.10 and my content library was fine ( / but, when I made my backup, I didn't need it; everything just worked perfectly after the upgrade, thankfully).

I'm just guessing after this point really. Out of ideas ...

Reactions: Oppai Auteur

Oppai Auteur

Game Developer
Mar 26, 2018
You could purchase ' ' and run a full test on that: it will stress the hell out of your PC, but it'll give a verdict (or the PC will explode ...).

Or, if you have some video games, just run the one that is most demanding on the system/GPU ('Witcher 3'-era games): if it plays fine, then your GPU(s) should be okay (imo), and something else is the problem.

You could try downloading DAZ again and reinstalling it: I've done this once before when upgrading from 4.9 to 4.10 and my content library was fine ( / but, when I made my backup, I didn't need it; everything just worked perfectly after the upgrade, thankfully).

I'm just guessing after this point really. Out of ideas ...
It's cool man :)

I'll just have to try everything I can, I did some more renders and the GPU is being utilised properly so I think it might be something else..I think, zero tech skills here lol

Thanks again for trying to help out

penecultor

May 4, 2017
I guess that you already made a clean instalation (Windows,Daz3d and GPU drivers).
Sometimes corrupted materials mess everything up, finding them might solve the problem. ( check the log )
I would say it's probably a driver bug with nvidia/Daz3d, where for some reason Daz3d ask for more memory than it really needs for the scene and it switch gpu to cpu.
I've got that "driver bug thingy" and after some months with it I couldn't fix it. So, you'll need to be creative , tweak some materials here and there, apply some matte shaders and so on.
Take a look here, it shoudn't take sooo much memory but for some reason it does.
Ptest01.png
Tweaking some materials and using a matte shader.
Ptest02.png

PD. If you still think is the GPU try is free.

Oppai Auteur

Game Developer
Mar 26, 2018
I guess that you already made a clean instalation (Windows,Daz3d and GPU drivers).
Sometimes corrupted materials mess everything up, finding them might solve the problem. ( check the log )
I would say it's probably a driver bug with nvidia/Daz3d, where for some reason Daz3d ask for more memory than it really needs for the scene and it switch gpu to cpu.
I've got that "driver bug thingy" and after some months with it I couldn't fix it. So, you'll need to be creative , tweak some materials here and there, apply some matte shaders and so on.
Take a look here, it shoudn't take sooo much memory but for some reason it does.
View attachment 124065
Tweaking some materials and using a matte shader.
View attachment 124067

PD. If you still think is the GPU try is free.
Using Cinebench seems to confirm what I thought, the GPU seems to be working fine. Looks like it could be some kind driver bug, hopefully I manage to find a solution because I've already been tweaking existing renders to try and get round this issue

The bug effecting the batch render issue is the thing that's worrying me the most, I use that to render while i'm at my day job, if i cant get that sorted it will cripple my update schedule

Nightcrawler

Carpe Diem
Donor
May 23, 2017
Have you tried removing the card and reseating it ,May be a simple case of not connected properly as the heat you experienced in all probability would have caused connections to expand, And then when it cooled may not have reconnected properly as the connections retracted

Oppai Auteur

Game Developer
Mar 26, 2018
Hey folks, once again thanks for everyone chiming in here trying to help and I'm happy to report the issue has been resolved

I did a full clean install for everything multiple times over again and things are now back on track...I guess the lesson learned is just keep ejecting and reinserting the disk lol

Glad to have this sorted, mods can mark this as solved :)