• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Unreal Engine Abandoned Girls Next Door [Update 8] [Layman Bot]

4.20 star(s) 19 Votes

a1fox3

Loving Family Member's
Respected User
Donor
Aug 8, 2017
Why doesn't this game have an abandoned tag?? "True Bond", after 4 months of absence....

The last update was last year, and the developer himself wrote on Patreon in February this year, so how come this game does not have the "Abandoned" status yet??
The dev last post on here for this game was back in Feb same as patreon, maybe dev is active on there discord site.

Regardless I agree that this needs the abandoned tag until the dev tells us what's going on.

Reactions: Chaosguy

GingerSweetGirl

Engaged Member
Aug 23, 2020
Why doesn't this game have an abandoned tag?? "True Bond", after 4 months of absence....

The last update was last year, and the developer himself wrote on Patreon in February this year, so how come this game does not have the "Abandoned" status yet??
The dev last post on here for this game was back in Feb same as patreon, maybe dev is active on there discord site.

Regardless I agree that this needs the abandoned tag until the dev tells us what's going on.
Sorry everyone, I really wish I had an answer for you. I know that substantial progress was made on the next update, but for one reason or another it just hasn't come together. The Dev team is small, just two people, and they're good guys but this update was troubled from the very beginning for some reason. I've seen the art for a couple of the scenes and it looks great, and the action was about to really pick up, and then it all just ground to a halt.

If I hear anything I'll try to update the thread. Hopefully Layman himself will give an update!

ImSenjou

Apr 15, 2019
I'm going to judge that the problem is the use of the Unreal Engine, which is unnecessarily complicated for this type of game, even if the Dev has experience with this engine.

It's no coincidence that most developers around here use Renpy, even amateurs can create their games with it, there's no need to complicate things.

I'm not a supporter, I'm not demanding anything, I just think it's a shame to see yet another game abandoned.

GingerSweetGirl

Engaged Member
Aug 23, 2020
I'm going to judge that the problem is the use of the Unreal Engine, which is unnecessarily complicated for this type of game, even if the Dev has experience with this engine.

It's no coincidence that most developers around here use Renpy, even amateurs can create their games with it, there's no need to complicate things.

I'm not a supporter, I'm not demanding anything, I just think it's a shame to see yet another game abandoned.
While I can't say for sure, I have the impression that the delay is due more to personal issues than anything else. But that's just my guess.

SonsOfLiberty

Board Buff
Game Compressor
Sep 3, 2022

Pretty sure it's not that, and personal, the game is super polished imho for Unreal, it acts just like Ren'Py in almost every shape and form, just like Shale Hill Secrets and Long Shorty Story, you would not even know they are not Ren'Py. That's how well they play.

Reactions: Before I Forget

Nemo56

Forum Fanatic
Jan 7, 2018
You notice the difference in the transitions that Ren'Py can't do. But it displays renders just as good as Ren'Py, yay!

Before I Forget

Sep 4, 2021
Pretty sure it's not that, and personal, the game is super polished imho for Unreal, it acts just like Ren'Py in almost every shape and form, just like Shale Hill Secrets and Long Shorty Story, you would not even know they are not Ren'Py. That's how well they play.
I agree. When I played it it just felt like another game on Renpy and that's because of how good the Dev is on UE. Sadly, people see anything other than Renpy and don't think to give a game a fair shake.

Before I Forget

Sep 4, 2021
I think the game runs great. But I also think there were plans to make better use of UE but they didn't come to fruition. In hindsight, RenPy probably would have been sufficient.
Yeah, in hindsight knowing how fickle people are about what engines games are being created on if I were in the Dev's shoes I'd probably would've chose Renpy as well. That is of course unless I planned on making a open world type game then UE is a great choice for that.

Reactions: LSC82

yoyomistro

Engaged Member
Jan 15, 2017
I agree. When I played it it just felt like another game on Renpy and that's because of how good the Dev is on UE. Sadly, people see anything other than Renpy and don't think to give a game a fair shake.
I've said this in many threads, but then main reason people like Ren'py games is not just because of the engine, but how easy it is to mod. You can change any little detail you don't like about a game from transitions and text boxes to save slots and character scans; and the holy grail, you can go through multiple paths much more quickly in Ren'py by either changing variables or merging paths. Most people don't have hours to throw at a game to figure out what they have and haven't seen, Ren'py makes it easy to figure that out for yourself and there's a whole infrastructure of people here to mod games and figure that stuff out for you. It's just a value add for any VN that makes it not worth to use any other engine unless you're paranoid about your vision being trampled by modders or something silly.

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
I've said this in many threads, but then main reason people like Ren'py games is not just because of the engine, but how easy it is to mod. You can change any little detail you don't like about a game from transitions and text boxes to save slots and character scans; and the holy grail, you can go through multiple paths much more quickly in Ren'py by either changing variables or merging paths. Most people don't have hours to throw at a game to figure out what they have and haven't seen, Ren'py makes it easy to figure that out for yourself and there's a whole infrastructure of people here to mod games and figure that stuff out for you. It's just a value add for any VN that makes it not worth to use any other engine unless you're paranoid about your vision being trampled by modders or something silly.
There are advantages and disadvantages of every gaming engine. Ren'Py doesn't really work for a game in WASD style, for instance, whereas UE is built to handle that. There are out-of-the-box features in Ren'Py that can be implemented in other engines (rollback, history, show/hide UI, etc.) fairly easily, depending on the engine.

One of the big advantages of Ren'Py is as you say: you can mod and adjust it fairly easily. However, I wouldn't say it's "silly" to dislike the idea of creating a story and having someone come along and completely change things. Suddenly your story no longer resembles what you wanted to tell. What seems "silly" to me is everybody and their dog feeling the need to reject what a creator has made and do their own take on it.

Small mods (like adding incest) generally are fine, but forcing something like a harem when it was never intended are excessive and almost never work well. The dialogues and events start feeling very forced and of poor quality. If you want a different story so badly, just create your own game. I wouldn't avoid using Ren'Py just because people tend to want to manipulate the hell out of what developers have made. However, TBH I do find the perspective a little offensive that an author's vision is practically worthless — what it effectively amounts to when you say it's "silly" to be worried about others changing their story.

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
Abandoned?
Why? :cry:
Primarily because there's been no communication or update since February. After 3 months of no updated information, a game will go to Abandoned status typically. The fact that nothing's been said in all that time is troubling, at a minimum.

a1fox3

Loving Family Member's
Respected User
Donor
Aug 8, 2017
Primarily because there's been no communication or update since February. After 3 months of no updated information, a game will go to Abandoned status typically. The fact that nothing's been said in all that time is troubling, at a minimum.
Dev was on here Sat. and at least they should say something about there game.
LaymanBot

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
Dev was on here Sat. and at least they should say something about there game.
LaymanBot
Yeah, it would be nice. IDK, though. I have no idea what's going on in their life, so I try not to judge. And yes, I don't think a small post here should be too much to ask, but again: I have no idea what's going on in their life, so I try not to judge.

Reactions: WakamoSato

yoyomistro

Engaged Member
Jan 15, 2017
There are advantages and disadvantages of every gaming engine. Ren'Py doesn't really work for a game in WASD style, for instance, whereas UE is built to handle that. There are out-of-the-box features in Ren'Py that can be implemented in other engines (rollback, history, show/hide UI, etc.) fairly easily, depending on the engine.

One of the big advantages of Ren'Py is as you say: you can mod and adjust it fairly easily. However, I wouldn't say it's "silly" to dislike the idea of creating a story and having someone come along and completely change things. Suddenly your story no longer resembles what you wanted to tell. What seems "silly" to me is everybody and their dog feeling the need to reject what a creator has made and do their own take on it.

Small mods (like adding incest) generally are fine, but forcing something like a harem when it was never intended are excessive and almost never work well. The dialogues and events start feeling very forced and of poor quality. If you want a different story so badly, just create your own game. I wouldn't avoid using Ren'Py just because people tend to want to manipulate the hell out of what developers have made. However, TBH I do find the perspective a little offensive that an author's vision is practically worthless — what it effectively amounts to when you say it's "silly" to be worried about others changing their story.
Oh yea, I agree with the last paragraph for sure... when I said silly I meant more about things like pacing, UI, UX stuff. Some games have 20 second pans, 5 second dissolves, etc. In Ren'py I can make all of them 1-3 seconds with a replace all in GREP. Or get rid of some ugly text box, add a drop shadow/outline to text, etc... even fix bugs. I remember stopping so many games because of stupid little bugs when I first started using this site... My point wasn't that people shouldn't do what they want, it's just that if you're making a VN and it's not in Ren'py, you better be good at it and have some secret sauce cuz otherwise people will be much less patient about any perceived errors or bad design choices.

Reactions: -CookieMonster666-

tramtoriana2

Oct 4, 2018
Yeah, it would be nice. IDK, though. I have no idea what's going on in their life, so I try not to judge. And yes, I don't think a small post here should be too much to ask, but again: I have no idea what's going on in their life, so I try not to judge.
really??? After so many months he just cant say "Sorry i cant develop the game right now" wow its so time consuming to tell couple of words

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
really??? After so many months he just cant say "Sorry i cant develop the game right now" wow its so time consuming to tell couple of words
Yes, really. Thanks for quoting me so you could rant. Kindly saunter off somewhere else now instead of wasting my time. :rolleyes:

Ozzymandiass

Dec 19, 2018
hi everyone
I don't know if the development will ever continue unfortunately.
In the meantime, I have some pictures to share.

• Sad
Reactions: SlickRoy
4.20 star(s) 19 Votes