• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Ren'Py Games do not open

Moricano

Jan 30, 2019
Can anyone tell me why renpy games that come with only one executable do not open in windows?
Those with renpy-32 all open fine.
But the ones with 1 si written in the name of the game without the 32 in the front do not open at all. Most of these new developers now are just choosing to release games as I said and there are even some old DVs that are changing too.
This game in the photo I played the previous version here and now its DV has removed the renpy-32 and left only an exe and now it doesn't even open anymore.
Can anyone help me how to fix this?:unsure:
1.jpg

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
This game in the photo I played the previous version here and now its DV has removed the renpy-32 and left only an exe and now it doesn't even open anymore.
Before anything else, no, the devs haven't decided to remove the 32bits executable. They decided to use a recent (less than one and half year old) version of Ren'Py that don't anymore distribute this executable by default. And if Ren'Py is doing this, it's mostly because there's near to no 32bits computers sold since a bit more than ten years.

This being said, the issue you face can't be solved by only knowing that:
1) The game do not open;
2) It happen with any version of Ren'Py after the 7.4.2 included.

The only thing that can be said is that it's not due to the fact that there's no 32bits executable. Your computer can run 64bits software, else you wouldn't have a "log.txt" file.

So, please attach the said "log.txt" file, and perhaps someone will be able to tell what is happening.

Moricano

Jan 30, 2019
Your computer can run 64bits software, else you wouldn't have a "log.txt" file.

So, please attach the said "log.txt" file, and perhaps someone will be able to tell what is happening.
I use windows 64 bits for a long time.
My computer is up to date, software, drivers .... and the game when it runs the first time it creates a log file right?
But since mine doesn't even open, there's no way I can check the game log.... I sent a msg to the Renpy developer, but so far there was no response to what I asked him, all renpy above vs 8.0 too there's only one .exe and they don't open either... I have the Python language updated on the computer too, but that's not having any effect on running the games or renpy.:unsure:

Reactions: lots`o`fap

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
But since mine doesn't even open, there's no way I can check the game log....
Really, not event the "log.txt" file created this Thursday, that appear on the screenshot you posted in your previous message ?

Moricano

Jan 30, 2019
Really, not event the "log.txt" file created this Thursday, that appear on the screenshot you posted in your previous message ?
The one there when I extracted the game was already on it, it must be from the DV itself, not mine... then I opened it and there were even certain errors in it... and then I deleted it and tried to open the game, but the game didn't open.
That one described windows 10 Pro and I use Windows 10 home 64 bits.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
The one there when I extracted the game was already on it, it must be from the DV itself, not mine... then I opened it and there were even certain errors in it... and then I deleted it and tried to open the game, but the game didn't open.
Well... There's not much that can be done when there's absolutely no way to know what is the issue.

The usual culprits also don't seem to be in cause. Generally with recent version of Ren'Py, it's the GPU drivers, even if the way Ren'Py crash is different. And when Ren'Py don't starts at all like for you, while we don't know the reason, so far when it was solved it's by an update of Windows. But you said that software and drivers are up to date, so it's not this either.

The only possibility left is your anti-virus shadow blocking Python. But then it should either only concern Ren'Py 8.x, or cover more than the range 7.4.2+ like you say it's the case for you.

Moricano

Jan 30, 2019
Well... There's not much that can be done when there's absolutely no way to know what is the issue.

The usual culprits also don't seem to be in cause. Generally with recent version of Ren'Py, it's the GPU drivers, even if the way Ren'Py crash is different. And when Ren'Py don't starts at all like for you, while we don't know the reason, so far when it was solved it's by an update of Windows. But you said that software and drivers are up to date, so it's not this either.

The only possibility left is your anti-virus shadow blocking Python. But then it should either only concern Ren'Py 8.x, or cover more than the range 7.4.2+ like you say it's the case for you.
There is no virus, I formatted the PC and updated it as it was before, in fact everything is new here .... That's good friend, you helped a lot with your attention .... I'll check some things here and see if I can fix it ... thanks .(y)

lots`o`fap

Dec 22, 2017
I use windows 64 bits for a long time.
My computer is up to date, software, drivers .... and the game when it runs the first time it creates a log file right?
But since mine doesn't even open, there's no way I can check the game log.... I sent a msg to the Renpy developer, but so far there was no response to what I asked him, all renpy above vs 8.0 too there's only one .exe and they don't open either... I have the Python language updated on the computer too, but that's not having any effect on running the games or renpy.:unsure:
Same here. My system is 64-bit Windows 7 (Home Premium?). I have been using 64-bit exclusively for over 2-years. I try to start the sole executable in some various Ren'Py games, yet it doesn't produce a log nor occupy the process monitor at all. Very strange. Not even sure how this could pass a test by the developers or games, so I think there's something attached to the dev system that lets it succeed a test on a dev system but will fail on a deployment. I have no idea though as I'm not a programmer.

• Sad
Reactions: Moricano

Moricano

Jan 30, 2019
Same here. My system is 64-bit Windows 7 (Home Premium?). I have been using 64-bit exclusively for over 2-years. I try to start the sole executable in some various Ren'Py games, yet it doesn't produce a log nor occupy the process monitor at all. Very strange. Not even sure how this could pass a test by the developers or games, so I think there's something attached to the dev system that lets it succeed a test on a dev system but will fail on a deployment. I have no idea though as I'm not a programmer.
I found out why windows 7, even though it is 64 bits, does not support Python in several versions, and that does not let windows open this new games made with renpy above vs 8.0.
These games are going to open in windows 10.
See this Python developer list and look at the list of versions that don't work for our old windows 7.
---------------------------------
Another thing I also discovered if the Renpy game has only one executable but if it was built in renpy below vs 8.0 it will open without problems I also did the test here in a game with only one executable but the scripts were made in renpy below 8.0 and then it opened, above 8.0 it doesn't open.... the hard thing is to know if the game you're downloading has 2 or 1 just executable......

Reactions: lots`o`fap

lots`o`fap

Dec 22, 2017
I found out why windows 7, even though it is 64 bits, does not support Python in several versions, and that does not let windows open this new games made with renpy above vs 8.0.
See this Python developer list and look at the list of versions that don't work for our old windows 7.
Another thing I also discovered if the Renpy game has only one executable but if it was built in renpy below vs 8.0 it will open without problems I also did the test here in a game with only one executable but the scripts were made in renpy below 8.0 and then it opened, above 8.0 it doesn't open.... the hard thing is to know if the game you're downloading has 2 or 1 just executable......
Thanks very much for your help! This makes total sense. I have a crazy idea that *someone* might want to compile Python for Windows 7 64-bit :LOL: Any takers? The build support system would probably overload what's left of my hard disk, let alone take days or a week to compile.

lots`o`fap

Dec 22, 2017

I went to the link and see that specifically this version of Python bombed out Windows 7. :

Note that Python 3.9.15 cannot be used on Windows 7 or earlier.

In the Ren'Py manual here:

It states:
Ren'Py 7 supports Python 2.7. Ren'Py 8 supports Python 3.9.
So technically the bar is as low as 3.9 (not latest 3.11), if someone was skilled enough to compile for Windows 7.

I'd move to Linux as the shelf life is longer and more maintainable, but I can't because of the the other games with Unity and Unreal :(

Reactions: sianki and Moricano

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
delete it and run it again it will recreate that log.txt

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Yeap, for some reason, if there are 2 executables, it opens, 1 - it won't...
Hmm... 32 bits works software fine on 64 bits OSes.

Which one of the two don't works ?

angcal

Oct 18, 2019
Hi there! I have a similar problem with the game Being a dik (Season 3) I unzip the file and when I execute the exe normal the game shows the window in black and after 2-3 seconds closes up with no traceback or any error, I only get a log.txt If anyone knows hoy to solve this problem would be very appreciated.