Ren'Py Games are not starting anymore, after closing a random number of times, requiring a PC restart

supernap

May 26, 2017
Recently (about a month or so by now) i have encuntered a peculiar problem with Ren'py games.

When i have been closing them (for whatever reasons, and no matter the method), in radnom intervals (2 to 10 times closing a renpy application) the next tme i try to start one, no matter which, i only get a whitescreen, and after a few seconds a lockup for the program.
Once i restart my PC though, everythign is back to working order for a while.
And yes i tried updating my graphics drivers, and also the graphics mode switch, but to no awail

attached the log of my latest attempt

PS: Also and i am not sure if it is related, but shutting down windows (win10 64bit) also does not seem to work correctly, needing a hard reset most of the times.
It seems to me, that there might be some artifact of a function called by renpy, that remains in the RAM, and refuses to end properly, blocking both the function of the program itself and the proper closure of the OS, but that is just a wild guess of a programmer that hasn't worked in this field for 15 odd years ;op

Last edited:

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Hold down Shift while starting Ren'Py and pick a different renderer.

Reactions: KGMIND

supernap

May 26, 2017
as said already, changing the renderer does nothing with this problem, save for it being a black screen on dx-mode

PS small update:

I had the idea, that my habit of deleting games whense i finished them (or the current build), to save disk space, may have a hand in this issue, but alas it is not. It also only seems to occure after prolonged sessions (multiple hours) within a single game, which kind of reinforces my suspicion it to be a problem with inproper RAM handling by the latest used version of renpy itself.

update:Update: I found the cause of issue for me at least: It seems that the gamepad function of Renpy to be the problem here. It still is probably a faulty function calling/closing, but at least i do not need to constantly resart my machine anymore. Though it is kind of a shame, since i like leaning back on my sofa chair, and enjoying these games from a more .... confortable position. *sigh in sadness*

Last edited:
Reactions: Aruu

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
attached the log of my latest attempt
Hmmm, there's something really strange in this log file. It ends with :
Number of texture units: 4
U
The last line should be "Using shader environment.", what mean that it stopped while writing this line.
Normally Ren'py shouldn't have a reason to crash there. It's not impossible, but I don't think that its doing something else than writing in the file at this moment.

Therefore my guess is that what make Ren'py crash isn't a problem with Ren'py, but a problem encountered by the OS while Ren'py was trying to do something.
Look at the log file every time it happen, to see if it always crash at this exact moment, or if the crash happen more randomly. If it's the second case, then it's probably a dying hard drive.

supernap

May 26, 2017
As written above, the problem seems to stem from the fact i am using a gamepad for most of renpy sessions, and there seem to be some kind of artifacting going on with calling up the drivers for it, and not properly letting them go, also this problem only sufacced in the last month or so, and seem t affect not nly the function of renpy.
So yes, i am pretty sure it is not a problem with Renpy per se, maybe, my system is just suddenly became faulty and decided to pick renpy as the trigger point for not wanting to work properly anymore T_T

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
As written above, the problem seems to stem from the fact i am using a gamepad for most of renpy sessions,
It's not what the log file you posted is showing. It crash in the middle of the display initialization, at most it regard the GPU, not the input.

So yes, i am pretty sure it is not a problem with Renpy per se, maybe, my system is just suddenly became faulty and decided to pick renpy as the trigger point for not wanting to work properly anymore T_T
Well, I know, it's what I said :/ I even gave a guess regarding what this fault is and a hint to validate if this guess is right or not.

supernap

May 26, 2017
it is clearly NOT a problem with the GPU, but quite clearly with the gamepad(or maybe was, i updated the drivers since then, again, and had no problems so far). As in so far, if i do have(had) the the white screen, disconnecting the gamepad, or deactivating the gamepad script during launchup prevented said whitescreen. Granted it could have been an incompatablity between graphics and gampad driver, but that is rather unlikely, i'd say

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
it is clearly NOT a problem with the GPU,
Do you even read the whole answer you get, or do you just pick few words here and there ?

Granted it could have been an incompatablity between graphics and gampad driver, but that is rather unlikely, i'd say
Yet Ren'py crash during the GPU initialization. And it do it in the middle of a line writing, therefore at a time where your gamepad have really few reason to be the cause, the GPU some reason to be it, and the hard drive a lot of reason to be what make it crash.

But, well, I already said that, and apparently you didn't bothered to try the test I talked about, so good luck with your problem.

supernap

May 26, 2017
Okay, since you do think i do not read your posts: Yes i looked at several of the log files, and no they do not stop all at the same time, and no i do not have those files anymore, since i tend to delete any games that are 'finished' due to space constraints (as wirtten above). Granted i should have kept said logs, but i did not
Also once more, the error occured when using the gamepad in longer sesssions, and stopped accouring once the gamepad was disconnected, or the gamepad function disabled via startup procedure, and with this i mean, disconnecting/deactivating at the moment the error occured, without any restart of my pc.. AND YES, i did try out the different rendertypes, and it did nothing.
THIRD: Since i updated the drivers for the gamepad (a third time since the error started appearing) a few days ago, the error has yet to resurface, and also the problem with shutting down my pc (which also occured EVERYTIME when the whitescreen problem manifested) have not repeated too. Also from my experience it also seemed only be linked to my logitech gamepad.

Ergo: from the evidence i have gahered so far, there was a problem with somekind of improper closures of the old gamepad dirvers after using said peripheral in a session of at least 1 hour runtime. Said functionality then interfered with the proper workings of my PC.
In Renpys case it may or may not have interfered with the workings of the graphics interfacing, but the problem still stemed primarily from the the gamepad