Game idea

BeastLord369

Oct 31, 2019
Hi I have a couple game ideas I think are good but I have no clue how to make a game. I goof off with Blender a bit, wouldn't even call myself an amateur. I would really just like to see these ideas come to fruition, My tag in the credits and maybe a token percentage definitely less then 5% maybe 1% (if there's any profit at all). basically I'd like to be involved in character design and the story you know major plot points. but like i said I've no idea how to do any of this. I'd really like to talk to someone about this and I'm hoping this is the right area to post. as far as type of game I was thinking like a Light Novel. It's funny back in my day if it was in print we would have called it a choose your own adventure novel.

BlueNox

Mar 18, 2024
Hi I have a couple game ideas I think are good but I have no clue how to make a game. I goof off with Blender a bit, wouldn't even call myself an amateur. I would really just like to see these ideas come to fruition, My tag in the credits and maybe a token percentage definitely less then 5% maybe 1% (if there's any profit at all). basically I'd like to be involved in character design and the story you know major plot points. but like i said I've no idea how to do any of this. I'd really like to talk to someone about this and I'm hoping this is the right area to post. as far as type of game I was thinking like a Light Novel. It's funny back in my day if it was in print we would have called it a choose your own adventure novel.
My best advice for you if you want to get started, is first to take your idea and put it into a physical template so you can keep on track, I personally use to keep me on track, Drawing concept art (doesn't matter if its good or not) helps a lot too, especially if you want someone who has the right skills to do the art (I've used Fiverr in the past to do art for me based on my concept sketches)
Blender is a good starting point for learning, I first used blender myself before moving to various other programs like Zbrush but I use both as each have there pro's and cons (for example Zbrush is fantastic for me at making 3D characters and Blender is good for all the Scenery bits)

The biggest problem I face a lot is that I tend to have too many ideas and try to cram everything in before I even have a good base setup, so if you want to try making games start small have fun, focus on getting core mechanics first then adding any details or extras.

There are plenty of Free game design software out there for starting out, things like Wolfrpg although dated still can make great games, theres also RPGmaker which has free trial versions and there are plenty more.

If you want to focus on character design, you can start with finding artwork of characters and trying to replicate them into a 3D engine, like Blender/Zbrush and post them so people can see your actual designs tell you good points, places you can improve.

And remember no one starts out amazing, you can always improve and more importantly have fun doing it :)

Reactions: massifteetees

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
I wish I could still find the reply with the greatest ever rebuttal to this sort of post, but it basically goes like this:

1. game plot ideas are worth approximately the same as some random person's "opinion". i.e. zero. Everyone has lots of opinions, but no one else cares.

2. Execution is the only thing that matters. Next time someone says "back in 20xx I had basically the same idea as Facebook/snapchat/whatever, I dunno why zuckerberg got lucky and rich", remember this - zuck had the hustle to make it work.

3. Take your idea and DO IT YOURSELF. This is the only way it will ever "come to fruition". See BlueNox's advice for how to get started. The one thing that matters is that you never give up.

Last edited:

BlueNox

Mar 18, 2024
As osanaiko says, Having ideas alone will get you nowhere, you have to take small steps and do things yourself, If you can knock up drafts for your ideas using the template (or similar template) and doing simple sketch art (you can even use AI to help if needed) will start getting you somewhere.

Personally I am happy giving advice because I gave up on myself and never utilised the skills and knowledge I had, I'm just only now starting to get back into the grind, and yes it is a grind, I haven't done artwork for so long but I found my old concept art sketch book of a game idea I had and honestly it made me get back into things.
I started out small doing simple pixel art for some mods here and there, and now i'm working on translation for games mainly for my own benefit as I am currently playing a game with terrible TERRIBLE translation, I can't even tell if this was MTL or just a bunch of monkeys in a room slamming the keyboard.

Everything is a learning curve, and it is steep to start so start small.

There are so many free handy guides on youtube for using blender/unity/zbrush etc. Start there and create something, anything heck after a while you will get comfortable to start helping out on the forums where people need artwork/recolours etc and you'll get more confidence and experience from that alone.

Everyone starts somewhere, it's just giving yourself the drive and time to start.

Reactions: osanaiko

massifteetees

Apr 5, 2020
Nobody with the cultivated skills of actually creating something would look for a purely idea-guy and think "Yes I will dedicate everything to this person's ideas and let them dictate the designs and story while I do the heavy work". You not even responding to BlueNox's and Osanaiko's advice is also very telling.

Reactions: osanaiko