• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Ren'Py Game doesn't launch

Dirlewanger

Jul 7, 2019
Hello,
For some reason this game doesn't want to start (not even appearing in the task manager), yesterday it was working perfectly. I thought maybe it had to do with the fact that windows made me update the system, but other games made with renpy don't present any problem.

Here is the log:
Bootstrap to the start of init.init took 0.23s
Early init took 0.02s
Loader init took 8.08s
Loading error handling took 0.66s
Loading script took 13.70s

Nov 27, 2018
See if the creation date of This Game's executable differs from the other Ren'py games. Ren'Py has had many version changes over the years and sometimes updates to things . That would be likely if This Game turns out to be the only one with an old executable.

You could also try going to AppData directory, locating RenPy folder there, This Game folder inside it, and temporarily moving the persistent file elsewhere. Then go to This Game's folder, go inside game\saves, and likewise move the persistent file elsewhere. Then try running it again (if it doesn't change anything, put the files back in).

Or you could make sure it's the update's fault by and trying to run This Game again.

kiljaeden

Jun 2, 2019
After some windows updates same thing happened to me. Lately some of the games don't launch. Old downloaded ones are working but newer ones don't work.

Reactions: kossk

alkinto

Jul 20, 2022
Hi Hello, for some reason i downloaded the Defending Lydia Collier and after extracting, the game doesnt start or showing any logs
Could anyone help me? I tried to put the renderer fix in the game folder but it doesnt do the trick

WhitePhantom

Donor
Game Developer
Feb 21, 2018
Hi Hello, for some reason i downloaded the Defending Lydia Collier and after extracting, the game doesnt start or showing any logs
Could anyone help me? I tried to put the renderer fix in the game folder but it doesnt do the trick
Try deleting it and re-extracting it.

You shouldn't need to do any "fixes".

Have you downloaded the latest version, or is it a modded/compressed version?

You can get the latest update for free here: if it isn't the proper one.

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Try deleting it and re-extracting it.

You shouldn't need to do any "fixes".

Have you downloaded the latest version, or is it a modded/compressed version?

You can get the latest update for free here: if it isn't the proper one.
I don't think it's anything to do with the extracting of it. It could be their AV doing some weird crap with it, but I suspect it's likely more on the hardware side of things for him as it's working fine for me on a fresh download.

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
Put the game directly on C: and try to run it from there.

Usually when renpy games don't even start it means that they are in a filepath with special characters which makes renpy not able to run the game.

• Red Heart
Reactions: MicrochipTCG

JohnWickGTXRTI1050

Mar 9, 2022
Dude I am new here and I used to play Ravager, (I didnt play game for a month) since yesterday it a'int launching....when I am clicking on the exe it shows the loading screen and then disappears it can't even be found in the task manager...only the log file is visible and it only shows this--

and that's it. I would be extremely grateful if you can help me with this or anyone T_T...

Oh and I am on Windows 10, I have GTXGeforce1050.

Please View attachment log.txt

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
and that's it. I would be extremely grateful if you can help me with this or anyone T_T...
Hmm, from the log file, it's possible that the persistent file have been corrupted.

Look in the "C:\users\YOUR_USERNAME\AddData\Roaming\RenPy" directory. There, you'll find a copy of all the Ren'Py games you played. Find the directory for the game you've a problem with (it should starts with "Ravager"), open it and delete the file named "persistent".
Also look directly in the game folder ("[Path_To_The_Game]\[Ravager something]\game"). If there's a "save" directory, verify that there's no "persistent" file inside, and delete it if there's one.

If it's effectively a corrupted persistent file, this will be enough to solve your issue.

JohnWickGTXRTI1050

Mar 9, 2022
Hmm, from the log file, it's possible that the persistent file have been corrupted.

Look in the "C:\users\YOUR_USERNAME\AddData\Roaming\RenPy" directory. There, you'll find a copy of all the Ren'Py games you played. Find the directory for the game you've a problem with (it should starts with "Ravager"), open it and delete the file named "persistent".
Also look directly in the game folder ("[Path_To_The_Game]\[Ravager something]\game"). If there's a "save" directory, verify that there's no "persistent" file inside, and delete it if there's one.

If it's effectively a corrupted persistent file, this will be enough to solve your issue.
Dude I tried what you said my save file was empty and there was no file in "C:\Users\Prime\AppData\Roaming\RenPy\Ravager-1492958390"

Still thanks for your time though

Edit 1
Ravager-4.3.12-pc the old version works
but the latest one is the one I am having problems with (Ravager-4.4.2-pc)

Edit 2
I posted the same in the game dev's itch page and according to them it might be related to my pc, :). So, thanks for time and suggestions.

Regards

Last edited:

MrRooots

Sep 4, 2018
Thats sounds ridiculous, but i've solved the same problem by launching steam before the game.

In my case the same log was created but also after starting the game a "Profile" folder was created inside "GAME_NAME"/ directory