VN Ren'Py Futurotica Fantasy- Name Changed to FUTURE FANTASY HAREM - Development Thread

Niteowl

Game Developer
Apr 6, 2018
Development is almost complete, after several months of work , and I will release Chapter 1 at the end of December. As we get closer to release I decided to create a development thread to share with you how I got to this point and of course to, hopefully, generate some interest in the game. This post will consist of several parts I will add over the next month.
I wanted to post some images but I'm on the road and working on a basic laptop...for some reason I can't upload images right now, maybe I'll try again later
So, without further ado:

game_menu.png
presents

Title0.png
Title1.png

The Concept
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

The Story

Kinks and Fetishes

Game Mechanics

The Art

Overall Strengths and Weaknesses

Any feedback and questions are, of course, welcome.
Patreon page under construction - will add a link when it's ready. The game is my main priority but I will try to make the patreon page fun and interesting as well. I will work more on that after the game is 100% ready (almost there actually, I just need to add one scene and the soundtrack, and I started scripting the first update).

EDIT: LAST UPDATE

I'm putting the final touches to the game, fixing a few things, etc.... I hope to release it at the end of this month or at the beginning of January
It will be version 0.1, simply because it's the complete chapter 1.
Every update will add a full chapter (each one featuring approx. 10 H scenes). So version 0.2 will feature two full chapters and so on. The first story comprises 10 chapters, so version 1..0 will feature a complete storyline...... but I plan to add sequels to it in the next versions.
I also added to this page a new logo, and decided to change the game's title to Future Fantasy Harem.
Thank you for reading, and, hopefully, for playing the game once it's released.

Last edited:

Niteowl

Game Developer
Apr 6, 2018
Updated the main post with some images....I wonder why I couldn't do that earlier on but whatever.

Niteowl

Game Developer
Apr 6, 2018
Updated the main post with the section most people probably wanted to see: Kinks and Fetishes

Reactions: Pharan

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Congratulations on making it this far Niteowl

One minor piece of advice: consider choosing a different font for your splash / title screen etc; Times New Roman (or whatever you are using that looks similar) screams to me that you just went with the default instead of thinking about your user interface design.

Your title / banner / etc is the very first thing that most players will ever see, either in the game itself, or in a forum like this. Making something that "Pops" with style is a great way to get new viewers started on the road to interest and engagement with your work.

Consider these three banners in this site's latest games forum (just three i chose to illustrate my point):

1574044827891.png

Meaning no offence to the creator of this game: This is just a fairly generic render with poor lighting on the second girl, and a hard to read and small logo/title (however at least they tried to do something some interesting with the font and layout). Three strikes: Does not really grab my interest, not sure what the name of the game is unless i squint and turn my head, and no clues to what the game is about / themes / kinks.

1574045148940.png

This one is much better - characters from the game, grouped into a logo pose, name of the game clear and readable (and the name itself gives an impression of the content). The only things i'd change is to add a subtitle: "Totally NSFW Typing Trainer"

1574045327186.png

And this one is even better again. Interesting logo/title (although the font is weird), good scene composition/good render quality. Clearly some sort of family corruption slice of life simulator game with a harem, set in modern, upscale western country.

Reactions: Niteowl

Niteowl

Game Developer
Apr 6, 2018
Congratulations on making it this far Niteowl

One minor piece of advice: consider choosing a different font for your splash / title screen etc; Times New Roman (or whatever you are using that looks similar) screams to me that you just went with the default instead of thinking about your user interface design.

Your title / banner / etc is the very first thing that most players will ever see, either in the game itself, or in a forum like this. Making something that "Pops" with style is a great way to get new viewers started on the road to interest and engagement with your work.

Consider these three banners in this site's latest games forum (just three i chose to illustrate my point):

View attachment 463561

Meaning no offence to the creator of this game: This is just a fairly generic render with poor lighting on the second girl, and a hard to read and small logo/title (however at least they tried to do something some interesting with the font and layout). Three strikes: Does not really grab my interest, not sure what the name of the game is unless i squint and turn
View attachment 463565

This one is much better - characters from the game, grouped into a logo pose, name of the game clear and readable (and the name itself gives an impression of the content). The only things i'd change is to add a subtitle: "Totally NSFW Typing Trainer"

View attachment 463566

And this one is even better again. Interesting logo/title (although the font is weird), good scene composition/good render quality. Clearly some sort of family corruption slice of life simulator game with a harem, set in modern, upscale western country.
Thanks for the advice man. I'm more of a writer and coder than artist so I wanted to keep the logo fairly simple......
But you made some very good points. I'll try to come up with something better.
Thanks again for your feedback.

RedPillBlues

I Want to Rock your Body (To the Break of Dawn)
Donor
Jun 5, 2017
Too bad, those secondary focuses look pretty awful.

RedPillBlues

Donor
Jun 5, 2017
what do you mean? Honest question.... also, are you talking about game mechanics or the kinks?
Oh, Kinks, mechanics seem fine. All of them are meh, with 2 I hate. But you do you.

Niteowl

Game Developer
Apr 6, 2018
Oh, Kinks, mechanics seem fine. All of them are meh, with 2 I hate. But you do you.
fair enough, but just for conversation's sake, they're called secondary for a reason..... meaning they won't be prominent and they will all be easily avoidable...
also meaning they're not my favorites but they're meant to add variety, which imo is important if the whole point is to create a fictional world and give players more choices and more 'creative' power to supporters. In fact if there is no interest in them they might not be added at all.

The game will be mostly concerned with what I described as the primary focus kinks

anyways, just wanted to clarify my thoughts on the matter. Take care and thank you for the feedback (I mean it, I always welcome feedback of any kind)

RedPillBlues

Donor
Jun 5, 2017
fair enough, but just for conversation's sake, they're called secondary for a reason..... meaning they won't be prominent and they will all be easily avoidable...
also meaning they're not my favorites but they're meant to add variety, which imo is important if the whole point is to create a fictional world and give players more choices and more 'creative' power to supporters. In fact if there is no interest in them they might not be added at all.

The game will be mostly concerned with what I described as the primary focus kinks

anyways, just wanted to clarify my thoughts on the matter. Take care and thank you for the feedback (I mean it, I always welcome feedback of any kind)
I wouldn't be worried at all if it was one or two of them, but when its all of them I would assume that's a large chunk of the game. Either way I guess I'll check it out once it drops. Also I'll leave you with this. If you want to do NTR then do it, don't let anyone stop you; but if its not something you not really into, and is something you would only add on demand then I wouldn't. It's just not worth it, at that point you get one side that will relentlessly ask for that content, and one side relentlessly complain about it.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Thanks for the advice man. I'm more of a writer and coder than artist so I wanted to keep the logo fairly simple......
But you made some very good points. I'll try to come up with something better.
Thanks again for your feedback.
I totally know what you mean - making a game as a solo developer is tough because if you have high standards you will need to master so many different aspects - coding of course, but then story writing, game design, art (splash screens, in game, and UI/UX). Partnering with others who have complimentary skills can work, but then the trouble of coordination and concerns re: parity of effort gets added to the things you need to think on. Using paid collaborators can work, but that of course means investing something other than your free time. And finally, promoting your work is another kettle of fish!

Reactions: Niteowl

Niteowl

Game Developer
Apr 6, 2018
I wouldn't be worried at all if it was one or two of them, but when its all of them I would assume that's a large chunk of the game. Either way I guess I'll check it out once it drops. Also I'll leave you with this. If you want to do NTR then do it, don't let anyone stop you; but if its not something you not really into, and is something you would only add on demand then I wouldn't. It's just not worth it, at that point you get one side that will relentlessly ask for that content, and one side relentlessly complain about it.
Ok fair enough and regarding ntr duly noted. In fact I think you have a very good point and I will give it serious consideration (either way none of the secondary kinks will be in the release or in the first update, which has already been planned)
Regarding the amount again fair enough and I can see why you feel that way.
Just to be clear though, the first saga in this world is meant to span ten chapters lots of h scenes and many characters, the way I see it the secondary kinks would only feature in rare scenes or side quests accounting for, at most, 15/20% of the H content in the game...probably less, probably more lIke 10%. My game is about having lots of content and no grind so the secondary kinks would be very minor when you look at the big picture. And like I said you're right, it might be best to avoid stuff like ntr entirely. I'm grateful for your honest feedback.

Niteowl

Game Developer
Apr 6, 2018
I totally know what you mean - making a game as a solo developer is tough because if you have high standards you will need to master so many different aspects - coding of course, but then story writing, game design, art (splash screens, in game, and UI/UX). Partnering with others who have complimentary skills can work, but then the trouble of coordination and concerns re: parity of effort gets added to the things you need to think on. Using paid collaborators can work, but that of course means investing something other than your free time. And finally, promoting your work is another kettle of fish!
Yes it's all true..... to be fair I like many creative activities and I decided to turn my story into a game partly to push myself to improve in areas that I'm not comfortable with.
Promotion and marketing are areas I'm particularly weak at.....but I guess I'll have to learn....it might take some time.
Coding on the other hand has been a lot of fun. Had some silly issues at first but I soon figured out the basics and I feel like I can do a lot with renpy...something about the basic logic of coding really appeals to me.
Anyways I do believe in my story and my game concept, but yes I can improve in all areas and I will try to keep improving all aspects of the game as I work on it. I just hope other players will at least appreciate the potential of the story and concept and forgive me for some of the mistakes I'll certainly make along the way.

RedPillBlues

Donor
Jun 5, 2017
Ok fair enough and regarding ntr duly noted. In fact I think you have a very good point and I will give it serious consideration (either way none of the secondary kinks will be in the release or in the first update, which has already been planned)
Regarding the amount again fair enough and I can see why you feel that way.
Just to be clear though, the first saga in this world is meant to span ten chapters lots of h scenes and many characters, the way I see it the secondary kinks would only feature in rare scenes or side quests accounting for, at most, 15/20% of the H content in the game...probably less, probably more lIke 10%. My game is about having lots of content and no grind so the secondary kinks would be very minor when you look at the big picture. And like I said you're right, it might be best to avoid stuff like ntr entirely. I'm grateful for your honest feedback.
Oh, I thought it would be a lot more then a fifth-tenth of the content, that's not much at all. Seems like I was severely overestimating.

Niteowl

Game Developer
Apr 6, 2018
Oh, I thought it would be a lot more then a fifth-tenth of the content, that's not much at all. Seems like I was severely overestimating.
I'm glad you brought it up. I should have explained it better to begin with but at least your post gave me a chance to clarify what i meant.
Thinking about it I can't see them being much more than 10% because of the sheer amount of material that will stick to the main kinks/sexual activities....but hopefully still a fun way to add variety and give supporters more choices.

Niteowl

Game Developer
Apr 6, 2018
Updated main post with the 'Overall strengths and weaknesses' section

Niteowl

Game Developer
Apr 6, 2018
Updated main post with a new logo, a name change for the game to FUTURE FANTASY HAREM, and one last update before the imminent release of the game