VN Free tool for story writing (authoring) with if-structure

Seanthiar

Jun 18, 2020
Hi,

ok, the title looks complicated. I'm writing (or trying to) stories and I'm using scrivener at the moment. Nice tool if you write a straight not interactive story with one beginning and one ending. You can insert pics, music etc., save character and place infos for research .... . I'm searching for a tool like that for games / VN with the option to branch out in a story, kind of screenplay software. Like "should she ask him ?" -> yes / ->no which each option leading to another scene, ending, etc. Found such a program on the commercial side online :

CeltX - Game and VR. Has all options I want to have but a cost of about 30$/month. To much for a hobby and (I tried the free version with max 3 projects) works only online with max 10 projects. Offline you got only base functions.

Would make writing the story for a game easier than in a game engine, because you can see the story like an e-book and the text don't drowns in the coding lines and program calls. Does anybody know of a free program like that ?

AnimeKing314

Giant Perv
Game Developer
Jun 28, 2018
Not quite sure if it's what you're looking for but I've been using KIT Scenarist. I'm still new to using it but it seems like a good option thus far. You can put sections of the script into different folders and give the different folders/scenes titles and descriptions so organization is really easy.

Reactions: Seanthiar

Seanthiar

Jun 18, 2020
Thank you. I download and try it. Could be that it fits. CeltX is as a screenplay tool in its origin. I've overflown the features of KIT Scenarist and as far as I see I can still use scrivener and don't need to do copy and paste because import should work.

SoulReaverFo

Game Developer
Aug 26, 2017
I've found some Novel Writing Software that could help, best tools I use now is Draw.io in preparing big branching paths and exel software to keep more visual elements.

Other than that you might be surprised but HTML has some simple framework for fast prototyping. And rempy could just be all text with noting for a faster way to determine the gameplay flow.

Reactions: tewthpst