Free Live2D Cubism analogues?

SillyHotRPG

Mar 1, 2022
Are there any free alternatives of "Live2D Cubism" analogues to make easy 2D skeletal/morph animations?

PS Not sure where's to find an easy editor for it.

Not so easy editors for skeletal and/or morphing 2d sprites on 3d meshes:
1) by Unity Sprites - not sure about morph keys here but ok
2) Sprites in Godot Engine? - not sure too (not have so much experience with Godot Engine)
3) Blender 3D - we have skeletal and morph keys but not sure how to convert 2D sprites to 3D meshes more easily

Last edited:

Deleted member 2282952

Developing I SCREAM
Game Developer
May 1, 2020
If you want the "true barely any effort approach" - Adobe Character Animator.

This entire software is a cheat code that allows you to turn on the camera, assign limbs, and then use your own body that will translate onto the model to create various animations. Easy to set up & to learn, as long as you have a properly sliced model (and have experience with Adobe software).

I know you said free, but I am not that familiar with 2D tools.

I can definitely tell you that Character Animator is the easiest to make pretty cool animations in a short amount of time.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
spine 2D is a similar tool

regarding blender, if you've ever seen Live 2D character creation videos, and you see how there is a triangular mesh that shows up sometimes, you basically just do that with a flat shape (have the image you want as a background image on the camera object, view a target object ie a plane through the camera, cut the shape to match the image, do some magic with morph friendly topology (which take a good amount of studying and experimentation to get good at), and then uv map the mesh using camera projection of your source image. from there its like a normal 3D mesh which you can connect a rig too, use shape keys (i often do this for secondary physics effects such as hair and jiggly bits), and import/export as an FBX, which is how most other programs port over to unity. the only issue is you have to have a good idea of how programs like Live2D work on a technical level because blender is like a tool box of hand tools, there nothing there to make the work easy or guide you through it, its all about knowledge and skill with the tool. I'm suprised however that I haven't come across a good video on the topic yet... probably because the amount of effort it takes isn't worth it unless you enjoy the process and are cheap, for everyone else its just easier to buy live2D or Spine 2D.