HTML - Abandoned - Free Cities [v0.10.7.1] [Free Cities]

1. 5.00 star(s)

rndmann

I have been playing adult games for more than 15 years now, but this game is the best adult game I have ever played, hands down. I am not exaggerating when I say this. Although it may not be the most arousing game (with the lack of significant visuals, sounds/voices and various effects, it's kind of inevitable), it is definitely the most satisfying one for me. You can design/train your dream waifu(s) from the top of their heads to their toes, you can customize every minute detail about them. The game doesn't force you to do anything you don't want to, either. You don't want to whore out your girls? That's okay, it's definitely not the only money-making way in the game.

But, even this game has one major issue that leaves me utterly unsatisfied: the lack of the ending(s).

For some people out there, the only important thing is the journey. However, for me, the destination is equally, if not more, important. Playing the game, doing my thing, and then stopping playing the game, just like that, without some kind of conclusion or closure, is incredibly unsatisfactory. It feels like everything I did, all the time I spent on it was for nothing, despite enjoying it so much while playing. If you are not like me this shouldn't be a problem though.

Despite this, it's still the best adult game for me, as you can probably see from my score. And the game is still being developed by pregmod, so there is still hope for getting ending(s).

(Money-making tip: Your money makes money. The more money you have, the more money you will passively make. The way I play is by selling slaves comes with arcology and some of my shares at my first turn until I can't benefit from selling shares anymore, and then letting the money sit there as much as possible without spending it, maybe except for the cheapest and most crucial upgrades. Being a master trader will help. Try to hold back your spending frenzy until you have accumulated 5 to 10 million. This shouldn't take too long.)
  2. 5.00 star(s)

Satori6

This game is a good example of what a text-only HTML game can accomplish: it allows the player to customize the pictures, has a simple, yet engaging management mode that lets you focus on the micro (traits of your slaves) and the macro (the archology), all while having an overarching story and events.
  3. 5.00 star(s)

Vitteh

Fabulous, but not for everyone, if you have that overlord-management itch to scratch and you do not mind only the bare minimum of graphics then this is for you.

The project is abandoned and it is a shame, but the game is fully functional.
  4. 5.00 star(s)

qwermhv

Maybe you're here out of curiosity, because of tags, or because you're scraping the bottom of the barrel. In advance, this game is still in development at PregMod.
    This review will be of the game that you can download here, the base game.
    Pros:
    • Insane levels of customization
    • Procedural generation at the finest
    • Lots of events
    • Being able to decide a lot of things
    • The management aspect is very well done
    • Probably the best slave game with pregnancy
    • Different decisions in different runs give different outcomes (replayable)
    Cons:
    • A lot of variables to take account, in normal difficulty in your first run you can easily lose
    • Some grusome content (optional)
  5. 4.00 star(s)

Edwarf

Free Cities is the most complete game of its genre up to date.
    The project was solid and well developed enough to become a "must play" even today.
    Despite being abandoned, 3rd party artwork sets (some of them still being updated) and the "PregMOD" project, keep this game alive.
  6. 2.00 star(s)

Kezza329

The Ui is dreadful to the point where im often stuck on screens, unsure how to get out. there's very little use of the actual art packs too. dont waste your time. the writing is good, but its not user friendly what so ever. so just avoid
  7. 5.00 star(s)

Chronwalk

This game is excelent, allows for great customization, shame it was abandoned, I hope the dev or someone at some point can create something like this in the future...

Pros: The game offers simple customization, allows for straight or bi themed characters, bunch of events that all of them are good, the quality of the writings are top and all in detail...

Cons: No sound, not many images, I love that in this game you are dominant only if you're a male character (top only scenarios although I haven't played female route) but, for others this might not be something they like...

One thing I missed at my first review is that the game was over in development, officially, yes, but there's content being made for it in a mod, named pregmod, search it up and add said mod to get even more content...
  8. 5.00 star(s)

DankMemesAndCreams

First and foremost, try it and make sure you get "the mod." There are versions of it out there without the questionable content or you can disable it completely.

If you aren't convinced by an imperative and a 5 star rating, well...
    Free Cities is a game, first and foremost. Unlike the vast majority of stuff you can find on this site, Free Cities is an actual game with challenge and strategy. Ultimately, yes, it is a sim and once you've figured out most of the difficulties you'll face your time will probably be spent trying to create your own little future degenerate haven, but from start to finish Free Cities places most of its focus on the gameplay.

So what gameplay is there to offer?
    Your primary goal is to make money. You need money to run your city, to feed and house your slaves, and to invest in protection and the future prosperity of your city. There are a few primary ways of doing this at the start and the options open up tremendously as you go on, but by and large slaves make money. Better slaves make more money. If you are whoring slaves obviously prettier, younger, and more sexually experienced slaves will bring in more cash than sick, old, and ugly ones. You can "upgrade" slaves through long-term hormonal treatment or quick-and dirty plastic surgery.
    But you need more money! So it's time to open up a proper Brothel, but who is going to be supervising it? A smart, loyal slave would be best, and if you really want good results, cultivate a dominant personality for your madam.

You will typically be breaking in and training a few slaves at all times while increasing the quality of your loyal slaves, all the while saving up for expensive upgrades to your city and properties. Eventually you'll start running out of options to pump up the productivity of your slaves and you'll need to start changing the demand side of your economic balance.

Managing your culture is the second main focus of the game and has a huge effect on what kind of sexual content you see in between turns. The idealogies you select could be as simple as a "plastic fetish" which would turn the typical distaste for surgically enhanced slaves into a massive buff for their attractiveness. You could get a little more degenerate and make a particular race "marked" for slavery, earning you extra respect and fame for owning slaves of that race. Then there are the incredibly game-changing cultures like Paternalism, which focuses on education and gentle treatment of slaves, prohibiting harsh treatment but in turn making slaves very loyal very quickly.
    Once you've got the hang of the game, deciding which culture you want to focus on becomes the main draw of the game. I've made a city that worshipped perfect, unaltered, amazonian physiques. I would hold a massive gladiatorial tournament where the eventual sole survivor would be treated to a lifetime of pampered care and added to a harem of superhumans. I've made exclusively trap arcologies with all of my slave leaders big-dicked futanaris. I've made Paternal cities and adopted blind, mind-broken paraplegics and restored them to perfect health. Bimbo nuns, Egyptian cow-girl farms, industrial sex factories, it's all here.

Free cities has incredible scale and one moment you can be struggling to balance the hormonal levels of your entire brothel and another you'll be delicately (or not) handling a slave having a mental breakdown in the shower. Of course, the game naturally encourages you to buy as many slaves as you can, which leads to a necessary reliance on the built-in automatic slave manager. I've had great success using it, but it does require some practice and study to use. Unfortunately, most of the strategies that rely on fewer, higher quality slaves take a good deal of experience and as such I'd recommend exploring the slave manager with some simple rules for keeping them from getting sick or fat.

The endgame is definitely a "it is what you make of it" deal. There are some interesting events that play out and some options for making tons of money to open up suboptimal strategies for slave cultivation. Many of the late-game events only have marginal connection to the slave-management side of the game, but they also do a great job of worldbuilding, of all things. The world of Free Cities is a post-apocalyptic anarcho-libertarian degenerate hellhole with the exception of your surprisingly despotic city. Or, if you decide you like the idea of a sex arcade, it's even worse than the rest of the world. To quote a certain IGN meme, Free Cities really makes you feel like a Mad Max dictator with an unusual predisposition towards body modification. It's a great experience and stands head and shoulders above sim games even outside the adult genre. There's simply nothing quite like it and I don't think we'll see any real competitor for some time.

10/10, would enslave my aunt again.
  9. 4.00 star(s)

GoldenRetriever123

Version: v0.10.7.1

Im not going to write a lot here because the game has been abandoned, but if you really like these kind of games you can look around for a spiritual successor of this game.
    When it comes to text managment games, i think this game is one of the best in that regard. There is just so many options, so many different playstyles and a great deal amount of replayability. Overall an amazing game, shame it got abandoned.
  10. 4.00 star(s)

Zmobie1

This game stole way too much of my life with me saying "just one more turn".

A great genre-bending game with a fun post-apocalyptic back story, tons of customization options, surprisingly deep mechanics, and leading to all kinds of odd 4am musings like "I wonder if it would be better to give this teacher breast enhancement hormones and milk her or if I should have her teach basic language skills to my clone."

There is no media to speak of in the original version. The Free Cities fork by PregModFan (which must never be spoken of for fear of violating various ToS's) has a couple of different awesome paperdoll packs that are really cleverly done to give a sense of customization to your chattel. The fork also adds tons of interesting cool features and scenarios -- mostly revolving around pregnancy, brood rearing, and weird cultural scenarios.

However, as often happens, that strength becomes a weakness as too much extraneous chafe and minutia eventually overwhelm the solid core experience. As others have noted, ultimately you are not so much getting off to a sense of reproductive control over your virtual chattel as optimizing page after page of pointlessly complicated and detailed excel spreadsheets. Nor with any real endgame to aim for, either, making the experience particularly onanistic. An unnecessary military-based set of side scenarios is also grafted on, which provides a money skink, but introduces different mechanics and doesn't really lead anywhere satisfying regardless.

On a personal note, this game got me into learning about Twine just to figure out how the devs can create such a monstrously complex system using such a limited toolset. The answer is -- by extending Twine beyond recognizability. The game literally requires its own bespoke compilation framework to package the hundreds of game files into the final html archive. This makes it _very_ complicated to mod without fear of accidentally breaking ... everything else, although there is a fairly active community of people doing just such modding.

Nonetheless, despite the drawbacks, it is a great game and one of the grand-daddys and archtypes of the ACYOAM ("adult themed chose your own adventure and management") game genre. Well worth playing for historical context if nothing else.

And really, defeating and capturing a competing arcology owner, branding her with your house name, and and assigning her into the public service fuck arcade to be used by all and sundry of your populace can be pretty damn satisfying.
  11. 1.00 star(s)

FartingRainbows

I've downloaded both MEGA game and Art Pack links.....
    I've been through waves upon waves of exhausting customizations pages; which is very daunting to say the least.
    - no pictures are showing - I went though the image files to find absolutely NOTHING of male only (gay) content.
    ...and there are no pictures of two people engaging in an act.
    Is there actually a game in this? Where's the skip button to get straight into game?
    I'm fed up, pissed off, frustrated, and I give up.
    This is not a gay game; it a load of misleading bullshit.
    I'll be the first to give this a 1 star rating.

Rating for = v0.10.7.1
  12. 5.00 star(s)

Oshitari Azumi

It's a shame that this is abandoned, since this is a really great game. Most of my playthroughs were of the debug version just to see what I could do, so take this review with a grain of salt. The customization of the characters under your management is superb, and most of the events are pretty interesting to see how they play out, with a larger variety being open as the game goes on. Again, though, shame it's abandoned, as i still enjoy it to this day and recommend it to anyone interested with ruling a city where you are supreme.
  13. 4.00 star(s)

Takoto Ama

Quick review:

Free Cities is a minimalist (largely) text-only slave trainer that elegantly pulled off bulk slave management. It's definitely good (I keep saying I love games that put me in the role of rapey male dom, and how I love slave trainers). I have a soft spot for it, but it doesn't do much with the solid foundation it aced (unlike games like Strive for Power and Stationmaster). Worth a try until you've seen all it has to offer -- a shame it got abandoned.
  14. 4.00 star(s)

Reij

The amount of time this game has stolen from people... it's addictive... the modding community (PregMod) is making it more so. This is another lewd game that remembers the game side in addition to the lewd, and is better for it. The addition of various image choices (paperdoll/vector) have helped the lewd side but it is still heavily reliant on the text and player's imagination.
  15. 5.00 star(s)

RustDust

Great attention to detail. The extensive descriptions of slaves are not just for flavor; they modify scenes or even lead to new scenarios. The way your actions and the world interact is impressive. There are a few obvious bugs that come up as "error-text," and some descriptions of slaves can contradict what you have them do (mind-broken slaves acting the same as regular slaves in some sex acts.)
  16. 4.00 star(s)

Daba

You play arcology owner in Free Cities (dictator/mayor and slave owner of dystopian city state).
    You can use your influence & money to shape Free Cities into future society of your liking, interact with your slaves, upgrade your arcology and more. For simple example, you can make your arcology kind or cruel to slaves, you can make natural or implanted slaves fashionable and so on.
    Game is very in depth with many options to choose from, open to different fetishes, sex-orientations, quite a lot events... only thing I find lacking is more "effective" ways of breaking slaves (maybe I missed something) than just keeping them imprisoned until they behave (if someone knows, please PM me).
    Free Cities are best text slavery game I tried so far. Game is text only (some pics of girls, but nothing much), but I still highly recommend it to anyone that can read more than three sentences and likes slavery genre.
    P.S. I recommend opera or chrome browser for game, as for some reason firefox doesn't load pictures (in my case at least).
  17. 5.00 star(s)

Faldir

My personal favorite. It carries huge depth in content, and allows for vast amounts of customization. I would recommend getting the 4chan "pregmod" which rewrites the game to near perfection of perverted gameplay.
  18. 5.00 star(s)

Drafox

One of the best text erotic games out there, it's very dynamic and has a great replay value, you can play it in many ways and create your own version of a slave kingdom, definitely worth a try if you're into this genre (I doubt you'll find something better).
  19. 5.00 star(s)

Ions

If you ask me Free Cities is one of the best if not the best text based game you can find the only proplem i see with it is the lack of some content like deffrent ways to interact with slaves or more individual ways to interact with them. I would as well appreciate if the creator would include more fetishes. Anything above normal sex as an action is no available, though im aware of the fact that there are some included like one fisting scene inbetween the weeks. Another thing i would love to see is a more developed buisness system cause in the current sate you can just build a dairy and money isnt a problem anymore.